White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
On a related note, when did this board start getting obsessed with winning the Fiscal Responsibility Championship? I think it was three years ago. Every contract seems to be too big for some posters, regardless of what the actual market has shifted to dictate.
It's not like the Sox have a ton of money committed going forward, either.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...salaries.shtml
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

It seems like the reports on the guy are wildly divergent.

I've never seen him play so I'll wait on this

He fills an off season need, is young and is locked up through what should be his prime years.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
On a related note, when did this board start getting obsessed with winning the Fiscal Responsibility Championship? I think it was three years ago. Every contract seems to be too big for some posters, regardless of what the actual market has shifted to dictate.
People fail to grasp what a market economy supply demand is.

Despite credible reports like Ken Rosenthal stating a rush bidding war broke out with 4 teams before the deal was finalized.

Like I said earlier, there is just no winning for this fanbase. Damn if you don't spend money damned if you do.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Yeah guys "are what they are" when they are 24.
Viciedo fans clinging to their last excuse... BTW - did you see his birth certificate in Cuba? Who's to say?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
WSI Irregular

If Cuba equates to high-A ball as one of the articles suggested, is it the best idea to toss this guy right in the MLB pool, or do the Sox let him hit some in the minors to start next year? And if that's the case, is Keppinger our opening day first baseman? Just thoughts rollin' around the ol' noggin.

Last edited by XplodingScorbord; 10-18-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Fixed punctuation
Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Viciedo fans clinging to their last excuse... BTW - did you see his birth certificate in Cuba? Who's to say?
Last excuse? He's 24 and played 1 full season without injuries. He hit 25 home runs as a 23 year old rookie. My god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Last excuse? He's 24 and played 1 full season without injuries. He hit 25 home runs as a 23 year old rookie. My god.
So? His OBP is barely above .300, and is a terrible fielder. Josh Fields had 23 hrs his rookie year and look how he turned out
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I don't know where the trophy ceremony is when you win the first person to say someone is a bust contest, but it seems to be a coveted trophy. There are plenty of guys who take a little longer to develop. Look at Toronto and Baustista and Encarnacion. You would have given up on them long before they flourished. Ryan Howard really broke out at age 26, when he was Viciedo's age, he was in AA. To think everyone develops at the same rate is insane. Maybe Viciedo doesn't get much better, but to proclaim it now is beyond laughable.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Guru

I'm on board with the signing. Sure, it's a risk, but it's one worth taking.

A friend of mine asked me yesterday why the Sox don't just sign a cheaper veteran stopgap. Well, who would you be stopping the gap for? You could sign Morales for a year or two, or even bring back Konerko, and then you still wouldn't have a first baseman after that. There's nobody in the system at that position. If the Sox believe Abreu is the long-term answer, and apparently they do, then you go get him.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
If Cuba equates to high-A ball as one of the articles suggested, is it the best idea to toss this guy right in the MLB pool, or do the Sox let him hit some in the minors to start next year? And if that's the case, is Keppinger our opening day first baseman? Just thoughts rollin' around the ol' noggin.
He's 26, making money right now, the Sox probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon, he's playing opening day next year or soon thereafter.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
WSI Personality

You can take this to the bank; if the White Sox had not got him this board would have been lit up like a Christmas tree. It goes back to the old saying that you can please some of the people sometime, but not all of the people all the time. Go Sox.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Well when you only have $0.50 to spend, people start to worry about spending $0.40 on one person. I think we'd all love uncapped spending, but we're fans of the wrong team for that. I am happy with the signing, but if you think Hahn won't be able to do anything else because all of the free agent budget was spent on one unproven guy, I could see where people won't care for it.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

People, CHILL OUT...

All we did is take Konerko's salary and give it to a player projected to be as good, if not better.

Still plenty left to spend
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
People, CHILL OUT...

All we did is take Konerko's salary and give it to a player projected to be as good, if not better.

With $2 million/year to spare, actually.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
People, CHILL OUT...

True enough. Paul's not going to be here if this guy, Viciedo and Dunn are. Too much of the same thing.
I'm telling you why,
Santa Claus is dead.
---Smothers Brothers
Aw, Merry Christmas anyway.