White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Why would you get rid of Dunn and keep Konerko? Dunn is a much better hitter and is LH.
He's expensive, and bad. And a crybaby.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
He's expensive, and bad. And a crybaby.
I could say the same things about Konerko. Dunn really isn't bad though. He's flawed, but not bad. Konerko is among the worst players in baseball at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Reading these posts the sox just will never win with this dumb ass fanbase.

A move that probably 29 other teams in baseball would celebrate and all the negative nitpicking here is ridiculous.

Sure Sox, please go back to spreading out cash to washed up stop gap veterans that are great at not a single aspect of baseball, but please spread the cash so you can get 3-4 of these bumbs just to please everyone by putting a name at every position.

Ridiculous.
Post of the year. Very spot on comment. Enjoy the fact the White Sox were money players for once.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI High Priest

All of Dunn's comments from this season is just a product of a guy who's confidence is shot to ****. The only thing the organization can do is cut their losses and do their best to make sure it doesn't happen again.
As far as Viciedo goes, his regression this year is concerning, but hopefully having Abreu here will motivate him some more.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
All of Dunn's comments from this season is just a product of a guy who's confidence is shot to ****. The only thing the organization can do is cut their losses and do their best to make sure it doesn't happen again.
As far as Viciedo goes, his regression this year is concerning, but hopefully having Abreu here will motivate him some more.
Were stuck with Dunn until the deadline, and even then, I doubt we get any decent pieces.

Viciedo has one more "potential" year left before hitting arbitration. Since power is at a premium and he's still relatively inexpensive, this winter is the last time the Sox will be able to sell high on his power potential.

Acquiring Abreu basically puts to bed the idea that Viciedo will be moved to 1B, and his only ideal spot, which Hahn was talking about as recently as the all star break.

Regression? Since when was Viciedo better than he was this year? He had a career average line, other than being down a few HRs. This is what he is. He's at 1152 ABs, well past the "surprise late" threshold.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Were stuck with Dunn until the deadline, and even then, I doubt we get any decent pieces.

Viciedo has one more "potential" year left before hitting arbitration. Since power is at a premium and he's still relatively inexpensive, this winter is the last time the Sox will be able to sell high on his power potential.

Acquiring Abreu basically puts to bed the idea that Viciedo will be moved to 1B, and his only ideal spot, which Hahn was talking about as recently as the all star break.

Regression? Since when was Viciedo better than he was this year? He had a career average line, other than being down a few HRs. This is what he is. He's at 1152 ABs, well past the "surprise late" threshold.
Yeah guys "are what they are" when they are 24.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
The base clogger posts are making me want to bang my head into the wall.

The main base clogger in recent history? Paul Konerko. One of the greatest White Sox of all-time.

I give up.
Amen. "Base clogger" was a term Dusty Baker started and was rightfully obliterated by the media for it. Let's not act like it's a legitimate beef to have.

You know who was a base clogger? Frank Thomas. Harold Baines later in his career. Carlton Fisk. You know, those guys whose numbers are retired.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

He did pick it up later in the season, but I would have liked to see a bit more consistency and also more RBI's (not all of that was his fault, it's hard to knock in runs, when there are no baserunners). At the end of the day, he probably is a .260-.270 guy. Most of his regression was defensively, but I think he's in the right position to improve.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

A move that probably 29 other teams in baseball would celebrate and all the negative nitpicking here is ridiculous.

Sure Sox, please go back to spreading out cash to washed up stop gap veterans that are great at not a single aspect of baseball, but please spread the cash so you can get 3-4 of these bumbs just to please everyone by putting a name at every position.

Ridiculous.
Excellent, excellent post. I am not comparing Abreu to Miguel Cabrera, but if the Sox somehow acquired him, people would complain about: baseclogging, alcoholism issues, attitude, his defense, and probably his failure to win multiple triple crowns.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Gordon Beckham defense!

The guys been a regular for what, three years now? It's time to let it go. It would be one thing if he were steadily improving. But not only is he not, he's among the worst players in the league. Lots of guys are young. Doesn't mean they'll ever hit.

On the signing...I love it. I know a lot of scouts are down on him and think he'll be Viciedo at the plate (and yes, they mean that as a negative). But they haven't seen him much, and lots of bad things were said about Puig too. Fact is, Abreu was the best hitter in Cuba consistently. It's a decent gamble that could pay off tremendously.
Nah. He's not great, but statistically, he's pretty much exactly league average.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
WSI Prelate

I'm assuming part of the promise to get Abreu was to allow him the comfort level to play alongside Ramirez and Viciedo. Plus, they were probably involved in the recruiting process.

I don't see neither being cut or traded this offseason.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm assuming part of the promise to get Abreu was to allow him the comfort level to play alongside Ramirez and Viciedo. Plus, they were probably involved in the recruiting process.

I don't see neither being cut or traded this offseason.
That, and the dump truck full of money we backed up to his house.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Ridiculous.
This is exactly the kind of signing I'd hoped for and I agree with the first line of your post, so much so that it is why I stopped posting here earlier this year.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
That, and the dump truck full of money we backed up to his house.
On a related note, when did this board start getting obsessed with winning the Fiscal Responsibility Championship? I think it was three years ago. Every contract seems to be too big for some posters, regardless of what the actual market has shifted to dictate.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI High Priest

An interesting and highly exciting quote from the Grantland article:
Quote:
Miguel Cabrera was the best hitter in Major League Baseball in 2011. Jose Abreu, even after adjusting his numbers to reflect A-ball competition, blew Cabrera out of the water.
"I don't know that I'd name him the 'best hitter in the world' based on a 60-game performance," said Davenport. "But yes, I'd say there's a chance."