White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
Thanks. I wasn't around WSI in 2003, so I really enjoyed reading this thread. The only bad part is that I had managed to forget all about Tom Shaer, and this brought him back to my mind. But that's okay.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI Regular

It's crazy how that gamethread was pretty much dead for about the first six or seven innings of that game (understandably so). After that, the thread exploded probably like no other gamethread ever.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Do you guys have the Game 7 thread of the Marlins-Cubs?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABP View Post
Why do you have respect for that? He had a chance to set his family up for life monetarily...hell yeah I would have capitalized on that
Well, to each their own. I just respect that fact he's showing good character, and not risking public humiliation, his reputation to those who know him, or possibly his life, just to make a buck.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Do you guys have the Game 7 thread of the Marlins-Cubs?

Your wish is granted.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ad.php?t=25604
Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Finally got around to watching "5 Outs" and I thought it was pretty well done. It's always interesting hearing each player's point of view, even Sammy. Both Prior and Wood are especially articulate. Like a couple of others have said, the last 10-15 minutes of it is just Cubbie fantasy garbage, but as a whole, it was good.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Finally got around to watching "5 Outs" and I thought it was pretty well done. It's always interesting hearing each player's point of view, even Sammy. Both Prior and Wood are especially articulate. Like a couple of others have said, the last 10-15 minutes of it is just Cubbie fantasy garbage, but as a whole, it was good.
It's funny to hear Cubs fans talk about how much bigger their hypothetical victory parade would be than our actual one.

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Skip through the game posts and get to the post-game stuff where some of us have knocked back a few celebratory Falstaffs and are expressing lust for some of the local TV newswomen. Hi-bleeping-larious.

I'm guessing a few of those posts would be deleted in today's more politically correct atmosphere. And Giangreco gets the beating of his life.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Skip through the game posts and get to the post-game stuff where some of us have knocked back a few celebratory Falstaffs and are expressing lust for some of the local TV newswomen. Hi-bleeping-larious.

I'm guessing a few of those posts would be deleted in today's more politically correct atmosphere. And Giangreco gets the beating of his life.
Well, I'm glad some things don't change.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
It's funny to hear Cubs fans talk about how much bigger their hypothetical victory parade would be than our actual one.
Good point.

Hypothetical baseball has been the rage for years, and not just in Chicago, although it's most popular where the actual winning is least frequent. If there isn't a strike in 1994, maybe the White Sox really do hold off the surging Indians who were a game out when baseball shut down, and maybe the Sox go on to win the World Series. But 2005 greatly diminished the need for that fantasy line. And it probably is true that if the Bartman play doesn't happen and Alou catches the ball, the Cubs don't fall apart in the eighth and probably go to the World Series. Maybe they beat the Yankees and there is a huge parade.

The thing is, the reality of the White Sox parade surprised a lot of people. The first AP stories over the wire led with "more than 100,000." The first-lead write-through had "at least a few hundred thousand." I kept checking for updates, and the numbers kept getting bigger. What was special about the Sox parade wasn't simply the overwhelming number of people who came out for it, but the surprising, unexpected spontaneity of the turnout, especially after some high-profile Cubs fans were spreading both locally and nationally the line that not so many people cared about the White Sox winning the World Series. It's a Cubs city and 'burbs.

I think the specter of the 2005 parade looms still over the city and may well for decades to come. The spontaneity for future parades is pretty much gone. This is what the White Sox did. This is the standard. You pretty much have to support your champion at least as strongly as the city supported the 2005 team that some said so loudly nobody cared about. If the Cubs were to have won the World Series in 2008 or one of those years when people nationally were picking them to win, it probably would have been larger, if only because there would be an organized effort to assure the Cubs parade was bigger. I have no doubt that a hypothetical 2018 Cubs championship parade would be bigger than the 2005 White Sox parade, but I don't believe the 2003 parade would have been bigger than the parade the White Sox actually had after actually winning the World Series in 2005 because there wouldn't be any pressure to show up the White Sox.

It's also possible that I'm wrong and on the eve with everyone expecting the Cubs to draw a significantly larger parade crowd, just as there seemed no way the Cubs wouldn't be facing the Tigers in 1984, needing to win one of three against the expansion Padres or in 2003, needing to win one of three against the expansion Marlins, the crowd would disappoint, that, after all, being a Cubs tradition.

One advantage of hypothetical baseball is you don't have to go out and win to win.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Good point.

Hypothetical baseball has been the rage for years, and not just in Chicago, although it's most popular where the actual winning is least frequent. If there isn't a strike in 1994, maybe the White Sox really do hold off the surging Indians who were a game out when baseball shut down, and maybe the Sox go on to win the World Series. But 2005 greatly diminished the need for that fantasy line. And it probably is true that if the Bartman play doesn't happen and Alou catches the ball, the Cubs don't fall apart in the eighth and probably go to the World Series. Maybe they beat the Yankees and there is a huge parade.

The thing is, the reality of the White Sox parade surprised a lot of people. The first AP stories over the wire led with "more than 100,000." The first-lead write-through had "at least a few hundred thousand." I kept checking for updates, and the numbers kept getting bigger. What was special about the Sox parade wasn't simply the overwhelming number of people who came out for it, but the surprising, unexpected spontaneity of the turnout, especially after some high-profile Cubs fans were spreading both locally and nationally the line that not so many people cared about the White Sox winning the World Series. It's a Cubs city and 'burbs.

I think the specter of the 2005 parade looms still over the city and may well for decades to come. The spontaneity for future parades is pretty much gone. This is what the White Sox did. This is the standard. You pretty much have to support your champion at least as strongly as the city supported the 2005 team that some said so loudly nobody cared about. If the Cubs were to have won the World Series in 2008 or one of those years when people nationally were picking them to win, it probably would have been larger, if only because there would be an organized effort to assure the Cubs parade was bigger. I have no doubt that a hypothetical 2018 Cubs championship parade would be bigger than the 2005 White Sox parade, but I don't believe the 2003 parade would have been bigger than the parade the White Sox actually had after actually winning the World Series in 2005 because there wouldn't be any pressure to show up the White Sox.

It's also possible that I'm wrong and on the eve with everyone expecting the Cubs to draw a significantly larger parade crowd, just as there seemed no way the Cubs wouldn't be facing the Tigers in 1984, needing to win one of three against the expansion Padres or in 2003, needing to win one of three against the expansion Marlins, the crowd would disappoint, that, after all, being a Cubs tradition.

One advantage of hypothetical baseball is you don't have to go out and win to win.
I think these are all interesting points.

Different titles are celebrated in different ways. IIRC, the Bulls held rallies in Grant Park 6 times. As you pointed out, the Sox had a rather spontaneous parade in 2005 (which I recall watching on mute from work at the time in my college library, I regret not going up to Chicago for the final game and/or parade). The 2010 Hawks had a somewhat similar parade and rally as the 2005 Sox (the parade route was different, but I think the celebration was in more or less the same place). With security concerns dating to the Boston Marathon, the 2013 parade was a very quick and short one downtown, culminating in a rally in Grant Park.

If the Sox somehow win another WS anytime soon (which is looking rather doubtful right now, but in 2002 who would have though the Sox would win a title so soon?), I wonder if a celebration won't look more like what the Hawks recently did, as opposed to the way they celebrated in 2005. I hope that's a problem we face soon...
Old 10-20-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Good point.

Great points.

I am reminded of when the Blackhawks won in 2010 and about 2 million showed up at their rally, as opposed to the 1.75 million that showed up for the Sox in 2005. The line in some media was that more people showed up because more people cared about the Blackhawks. I found it ridiculous that some media folks were taking time out from basking in the glow of the Hawks win to bother having a big dick contest.

I must mention how I loved the way Dr. Crawdad used numbers to eviscerate the whole "more people card about the Blackhawks" line by showing that, while the Blackhawks Cup Finals were the highest rated Stanley Cup games in 36 years, they were still outrated locally and nationally by the 2005 World Series, which as we all know, was the lowest rated series up to that point in time. Dang-I searched for the thread but can't find it-I don't remember any specifics about it. Maybe it wasn't Crawdad, but it was someone who did their homework.

Hmmm. I also love the talk about how "the Cubs parade will be much, much bigger than the White Sox parade! It has to be! We have more fans!"

And we're the ones with the inferiority complex?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Great points.

I am reminded of when the Blackhawks won in 2010 and about 2 million showed up at their rally, as opposed to the 1.75 million that showed up for the Sox in 2005. The line in some media was that more people showed up because more people cared about the Blackhawks. I found it ridiculous that some media folks were taking time out from basking in the glow of the Hawks win to bother having a big dick contest.

I must mention how I loved the way Dr. Crawdad used numbers to eviscerate the whole "more people card about the Blackhawks" line by showing that, while the Blackhawks Cup Finals were the highest rated Stanley Cup games in 36 years, they were still outrated locally and nationally by the 2005 World Series, which as we all know, was the lowest rated series up to that point in time. Dang-I searched for the thread but can't find it-I don't remember any specifics about it. Maybe it wasn't Crawdad, but it was someone who did their homework.

Hmmm. I also love the talk about how "the Cubs parade will be much, much bigger than the White Sox parade! It has to be! We have more fans!"

And we're the ones with the inferiority complex?
I'm a big Blackhawks fan, as well as a big White Sox fan, and I'm here to tell you the Sox parade was a bigger deal. The Sox parade was in October, when school was in session, while the Blackhawks parades have been in the summer time. The hockey parades were heavily attended by college kids using the occasion as an excuse to party. I don't see it as evidence that more people care about the Hawks than the Sox. It just means that school was out, and more people had the opportunity to attend.

And, again, I love the Blackhawks, but I don't think hockey trumps baseball. There are plenty of Cubbie faithful who are also Hawks fans, and we all know they do feel a need to have a big dick contest.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Thank you kind sir
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

That was a fun read!
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti