White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Where do you draw the line on corporate sponsorship?

My sense is that WSI is a bit more conservative on baseball traditionalism than most other fansites. But I know we have a few radicals out there. This might be a fun little exercise to do in the offseason.

I'll list some potential corporate sponsorship ideas, and label them A through whatever. Some of these are actually happening in baseball right now, some are happening in other sports, and some of them I just plain made up. Tell me what's the highest letter you're comfortable with and why.

A: Advertising signs at stadiums

B: Purchase of stadium naming rights

C: One corporate logo on the uniform

D: Multiple corporate logos on the uniform (soccer-style)

E: Many corporate logos on the uniform (auto racing-style)

G: Player names on jerseys are partially replaced by corporate names. For example, Comcast sponsors the White Sox to promote its triple play package of Cable, Internet, and Phone. Each game, three White Sox players do not have their name on the back of their jerseys. These are players being honored for something they did last game: a player who made a good offensive play wears "INTERNET" on the back of their jersey, because they connected on that pitch. A player who made a good defensive play wears "CABLE" on the back of their jersey. And a player who came in out of the bullpen and pitched well wears "PHONE".

H: Sponsors change something major about the ballpark tradition. E.g., AT&T sponsors the White Sox, and during the 7th Inning Stretch "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is replaced by Gene Honda's voice encouraging everyone in the stadium to take out their cell phone, call their mom, and tell her where they currently are.

I: Corporate name added to the team name, such as "Chicago White Sox Presented by BankOne"

J: Corporate name replaces city name. E.g., "Nippon Ham White Sox"

K: Corporate name replaces team name. E.g., "US Cellular Cellphones"
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

As long as there's 4 bases and nine players, it's all good.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
As long as there's 4 bases and nine players, it's all good.
Amen. I don't care if the 5th pitch and the 5th inning and the 5th hitter are brought to you by Fifth Third Bank. All sports are moving in this direction, and they will continue to. Look at Japanese baseball and soccer, well, anywhere. People used to bitch about the naming rights. Now very, very few care. All change is met that way.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 PM
WSI Guru

How about General Manager Rick Hahn as presented by [corporate sponsor]?

It might not be so far-fetched...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...134C4699801G6O
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

I draw the line at corporate logos on uniforms

Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
That's where I'm at. I'm a uniform nutjob as most people here know. I don't have a problem with soccer clubs or Japanese teams with ads on their jerseys or equipment, as that is sort of already engrained in those sports cultures. Likewise, in baseball, advertising on the outfield walls dates back to the early 20th century, and the elimination of those ads was an abborration in the 70s and 80s afterall. Baseball has never had advertising on their jerseys, and I would hope that would remain. I don't count the Majestic logo on the sleeve or the Russell Athletic logo on the batting gloves or the Rawlings logo.

Great question though. I would prefer the radio broadcasts were scaled back in terms of advertising because I find the radio guys are so intent on trying to fit all of the commercial reads in that they lose some of the genuineness of the call.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm fine with soccer teams having all the ads they'd like on their uniforms as I'm not a soccer fan. If MLB or NHL start putting ads on their uniforms, I'd likely not watch as much as I do now. I'm already souring on the NFL and it won't be long before the CDW Bears are playing on the BMO Harris turf at Soldier Field.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I'm fine with soccer teams having all the ads they'd like on their uniforms as I'm not a soccer fan. If MLB or NHL start putting ads on their uniforms, I'd likely not watch as much as I do now. I'm already souring on the NFL and it won't be long before the CDW Bears are playing on the BMO Harris turf at Soldier Field.
The NFL uni change wouldn't bother me. Most of the uniforms have been updated so substantially over the past few years that they hardly even resemble what the guys were wearing in the late 80s, let alone 50 years ago.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
One of the reasons that soccer teams have ads on their jersey is because there is no time to break for commercials during broadcasts. American sport teams do not have that problem.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
That's where I'm at. I'm a uniform nutjob as most people here know. I don't have a problem with soccer clubs or Japanese teams with ads on their jerseys or equipment, as that is sort of already engrained in those sports cultures. Likewise, in baseball, advertising on the outfield walls dates back to the early 20th century, and the elimination of those ads was an abborration in the 70s and 80s afterall. Baseball has never had advertising on their jerseys, and I would hope that would remain. I don't count the Majestic logo on the sleeve or the Russell Athletic logo on the batting gloves or the Rawlings logo.

Great question though. I would prefer the radio broadcasts were scaled back in terms of advertising because I find the radio guys are so intent on trying to fit all of the commercial reads in that they lose some of the genuineness of the call.
At one time, soccer teams and Japanese baseball teams "never" had sponsorship on their jerseys, either. No one is going to leave baseball fandom, except for a few ridiculous folks, over it. Like all change, people will quickly get used to it.

I mean, where do we draw the line? We don't have much say, unless we honestly won't support a whole sport because of the degree of sponsorship.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm fine with soccer teams having all the ads they'd like on their uniforms as I'm not a soccer fan. If MLB or NHL start putting ads on their uniforms, I'd likely not watch as much as I do now.
But that makes little sense. Whether you are a fan of the sport is irrelevant to the question, really. I mean, why should it be OK for soccer or the NBA (which you did not mention), but not baseball or football? Seems like an odd position to take. "Well, because I LIKE those sports!"
Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
This is about where I draw the line. You're missing two other opportunities, I think, that I'm also not opposed to within reason. First is corporate logos on the field. Second are those virtual ads that only show up on TV (ads on the ivy at Wrigley or against the screen at the Cell (might actually block out the M&M guy)))
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post

This basically mirrors my position, as well

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 10-09-2013, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Baseball unis already have the manufacturer's logo visible, usually on one of the sleeves.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Personality

I think I would be okay with it as long as advertising is not prominent on the uniforms. I still enjoy buying jerseys from time to time and it would really irk me if they charged a couple of hundred dollars for a jersey and it had a comcast logo across the chest ala soccer jerseys.

Anticipated next game: Unknown