White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Burg View Post
Hate St. Louis and Oakland. Boston, Cleveland and Cincinnati irritate me. Pittsburgh, meh. Dodgers against Detroit wouldn't be too bad, I guess.

Better yet, hope all the series are sweeps so it can get done, asap. Worst baseball season in memory, close the door and make it go away.
I agree on that note. Thank goodness I picked up Warhammer 40k as a hobby and watched the Sox games in secrecy.

Frank Thomas: the best Sox player there was, and the best Sox player there ever will be! No doubt about it!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't get all the Pittsburgh love. A franchise that has been terrible for 20 years is showered with adulation when they don't even win their division?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 PM
WSI Regular

I don't get it either. Might just be pulling for the underdog?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm going for the Pirates and A's.

It's more than going for the underdog, all the other teams have been in the postseason way too much, like the Cardinals, Braves and Dodgers; and what self-respecting Sox fan could cheer for the Tigers or Red Sox.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Cleveland, despite Swisher.
Ok, I guess I'll root for Detroit now. Other than that, I definitely don't want Boston, St Louis, or Atlanta winning.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Cleveland, despite Swisher.
Any team but Cleveland because of Swisher. That guy could cure cancer and I'd still hate his jackass smirking guts.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ok, I guess I'll root for Detroit now. Other than that, I definitely don't want Boston, St Louis, or Atlanta winning.
I hope the Pirates, A's, Dodgers, and Rays make it to their respective LCS, although I won't be upset if the Braves win.

I'd rather eat fried dog **** than see Boston, St. Louis, or Detroit win.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Chicagoan View Post
Oakland - Dave Stewart and his jock.
Yeah, but Dave Stewart was right.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxster67 View Post
Cannot, will not pull for Cleveland. Live in Cleveland area and cannot stand these hypocritical fans. Boo Thome when he came back as a Sox and cheer when almost beaned. Then they fall all over themselves when he came back wearing their uniform. Classless fans. Don't deserve success in the post season.
Every time I watch a game at Jacob's Field I end up asking myself, is there not one good looking person in Cleveland?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Mrs. Chez is from Boston so I have to pretend to root for the Red Sox. But I'm pulling for Detroit to come out of the AL (so Illitch stops spending money on players) and Pittsburgh out of the NL.

And thanks to Doub for posting the flow chart. Hysterical.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Every October that the White Sox don't make the postseason, I find myself hating the American League teams who do make it increasingly more. I have always hated the A's, and I have learned to hate the A's now more than I did in the early 1970s. Their fans could compete for the honor of worst subgroup of human beings on the planet, not as bad as Raiders fans (never cut off a vehicle with a Raiders bumper sticker in traffic), but a huge number of A's fans are Raiders fans as well, wearing Raiders gear, even to games against the White Sox, creating silver and black mirages in the crowd.

Go to an A's game, and many of the fans seem to think they are at Raiders games. Couple that with a field where you can get the feeling there's broken glass in the outfield and the franchise seems more a candidate to be disappeared for the good of the game than moved to another city, having already running out of continent. A trip to whatever that thing in Oakland is called in any given season may be the worst professional baseball experience in the Western Hemisphere.

A's fans probably make Red Sox fans seem cute and cuddly. And, really, I hate the Tigers more than I hate the Red Sox. If I were to have to choose between the two, I would rather see the Tigers go deeper into the postseason, though, hoping there is a sort of hangover, especially among their pitchers, in 2014.

I don't really have strong feelings for NL teams left. Watching the Cards or Pirates, especially the Cards, win would make some Cubs fans cry. So there's that. My NoCal roots aren't deep enough to hate the Dodgers with every fiber of my being, and Juan Uribe winning another ring after the White Sox and Giants pretty much cast him off with bling would be interesting.

I could only find reason to cheer for the Braves if they were playing the A's, Tigers or Red Sox.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Now that the Rays are out I have to pull for the Pirates. in my earlier years I would never ever pull for a NL team but since interleague play started, its not that big of a deal.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Now that the Rays are out I have to pull for the Pirates. in my earlier years I would never ever pull for a NL team but since interleague play started, its not that big of a deal.
Well, so much for that.

Holding out hope for the A's. And please, Dodgers, get rid of the Cardinals.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Well, so much for that.

Holding out hope for the A's. And please, Dodgers, get rid of the Cardinals.
At this point it's anybody but the BoSox.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't want a repeat of the recent BoSox/Tigers vs Cards series.

So any combination that avoids those pairings will be alright with me.

I was pulling for the Bucs= would have loved to see an NLCS or World Series in PNC Park.

If I had my choice- either Red Sox vs. Dodgers or A's vs. Cards.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."