White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,100
Default MLB Commissioner Selig to retire

MLB ‏@MLB Commissioner Bud Selig will retire upon the completion of his current term, which runs through Jan. 24, 2015: http://atmlb.com/1fJjXmH

NBC Sports ‏@NBCSports
BREAKING: MLB Commissioner Bud Selig officially will retire in January 2015.


Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
Bud Selig's last official day as #MLB commissioner will be Jan. 24, 2015

Selig says that he will soon announce a transition plan in preparation for his retirement, which will reorganize the #MLB central office.
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
vinny's Avatar
vinny vinny is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 3,665
Default

There is a god.
__________________
2013: 4-4
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,429
Default

Knew it was coming. Just wish it happened sooner.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
There is a god.
Yes there is and his name is Bud. Attendance has never been higher and owners have never been fatter under his regime. He did what he was suppose to do. Im not saying I like the guy or what he did but he is a god.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
There is a god.
You think so? The people who have kept Bud in place will now hire someone who is not a carbon copy?
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM
CPditka CPditka is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,096
Default

Step 1: Selig Retire
Step 2: Uncle Jerry becomes Commish

Step 3: Get a different owner...

I highly doubt it will happen.
__________________
www.twitter.com/donaldandersen
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Viva Medias B's Viva Medias B's is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palos Park, IL
Posts: 12,867
Default

We need a strong commissioner that will grow MLB such that it will better compete against the other leagues, particularly the NFL. In other words, we need the next Pete Rozelle for MLB commissioner.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,877
Default

So what are the main knocks on Bud? Just that he had little regard for tradition by doing things like introducing the wildcard, expanding the postseason, etc.? I guess I'm showing my relative youth here, but I think all of that stuff has been positive for the game.

I think it's helpful to look at the problems facing Baseball right now, in some random order:

1. Parity. The same teams win over and over again. However, Bud has expanded the number of playoff spots and recently they've also fixed the draft system to be more equitable. Foreign free agents remain an area where the big market teams have an advantage.

2. Performance Enhancing Drugs. Yeah, baseball was asleep at the wheel about this for a while (at best), but A-Rod is about to go away for a long time. More notably, the other players caught along with A-Rod just immediately agreed to serve their time - a move away from the old system of joke appeals.

3. Declining Popularity. Baseball is arguably less popular now than it was in the previous few generations. It has lost a lot of ground to football as America's pasttime. The decline is especially notable in the African-American community, a problem people keep pointing out but that few people are doing anything about. Bud has attempted to counteract this by promoting baseball overseas, through the World Baseball Classic and such.

4. Florida. What is to be done here?

5. Antiquated TV model. MLB is going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital, online era. Fans increasingly want to watch their teams play on their computer, not their TV. It makes no sense that an A's fan in Las Vegas should be denied the chance to watch his team because A's fans hundreds of miles away from him are not attending games. But unless they elect a commissioner under the age of 30, this is probably not something that's going to change.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 PM
getonbckthr getonbckthr is offline
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: I can smell TBK from my front porch
Posts: 13,276
Default

I refuse to blame Selig for the lack of interest in baseball. America is in an ADD period with people. Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.
__________________

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,964
Default

His last declaration as commish? Eliminate the post of commissioner, create a 'King of MLB' position, name himself to it, add 776474 wild card spots.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
So what are the main knocks on Bud? Just that he had little regard for tradition by doing things like introducing the wildcard, expanding the postseason, etc.? I guess I'm showing my relative youth here, but I think all of that stuff has been positive for the game.

I think it's helpful to look at the problems facing Baseball right now, in some random order:

1. Parity. The same teams win over and over again. However, Bud has expanded the number of playoff spots and recently they've also fixed the draft system to be more equitable. Foreign free agents remain an area where the big market teams have an advantage.

2. Performance Enhancing Drugs. Yeah, baseball was asleep at the wheel about this for a while (at best), but A-Rod is about to go away for a long time. More notably, the other players caught along with A-Rod just immediately agreed to serve their time - a move away from the old system of joke appeals.

3. Declining Popularity. Baseball is arguably less popular now than it was in the previous few generations. It has lost a lot of ground to football as America's pasttime. The decline is especially notable in the African-American community, a problem people keep pointing out but that few people are doing anything about. Bud has attempted to counteract this by promoting baseball overseas, through the World Baseball Classic and such.

4. Florida. What is to be done here?

5. Antiquated TV model. MLB is going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital, online era. Fans increasingly want to watch their teams play on their computer, not their TV. It makes no sense that an A's fan in Las Vegas should be denied the chance to watch his team because A's fans hundreds of miles away from him are not attending games. But unless they elect a commissioner under the age of 30, this is probably not something that's going to change.

I agree with your preface, but any potential negative issues are all moot points since baseball is more profitable than before he was in charge. It's a business and he made it a more profitable one. Even if fan interest declines in whatever metric you want to measure it in as long as people getting paid are getting paid more than before its a good business.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I refuse to blame Selig for the lack of interest in baseball. America is in an ADD period with people. Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.
But everything is Bud's fault!

Yeah, some people don't understand what the commissioner does but need someone to blame for any shortcomings.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I refuse to blame Selig for the lack of interest in baseball. America is in an ADD period with people. Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.
I'm not going to quarrel with your post. I will say that as a sport the "action packed" nature of football is greatly exaggerated. There are enough "big plays" to sate the modern audience I suppose. If action and excitement are what you want, nothing tops Stanley Cup Playoff hockey. FWIW baseball is my favorite sport and American football is a very close second.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
captain54 captain54 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Evergreen Park
Posts: 1,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.
That's why roughly 8 teams average almost 40K per game over the course of 82 games and will draw roughly 3 M/yr. makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,769
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
That's why roughly 8 teams average almost 40K per game over the course of 82 games and will draw roughly 3 M/yr. makes sense
How do you explain a couple of play-off bound teams that have struggled to consistently draw 20,000 per game?
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.