White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default MLB Commissioner Selig to retire

MLB ‏@MLB Commissioner Bud Selig will retire upon the completion of his current term, which runs through Jan. 24, 2015: http://atmlb.com/1fJjXmH

NBC Sports ‏@NBCSports
BREAKING: MLB Commissioner Bud Selig officially will retire in January 2015.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
Bud Selig's last official day as #MLB commissioner will be Jan. 24, 2015

Selig says that he will soon announce a transition plan in preparation for his retirement, which will reorganize the #MLB central office.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

There is a god.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Knew it was coming. Just wish it happened sooner.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
There is a god.
Yes there is and his name is Bud. Attendance has never been higher and owners have never been fatter under his regime. He did what he was suppose to do. Im not saying I like the guy or what he did but he is a god.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
There is a god.
You think so? The people who have kept Bud in place will now hire someone who is not a carbon copy?

All hail The Rick
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM
WSI Personality

Step 1: Selig Retire
Step 2: Uncle Jerry becomes Commish

Step 3: Get a different owner...

I highly doubt it will happen.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Prelate

We need a strong commissioner that will grow MLB such that it will better compete against the other leagues, particularly the NFL. In other words, we need the next Pete Rozelle for MLB commissioner.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
WSI High Priest

So what are the main knocks on Bud? Just that he had little regard for tradition by doing things like introducing the wildcard, expanding the postseason, etc.? I guess I'm showing my relative youth here, but I think all of that stuff has been positive for the game.

I think it's helpful to look at the problems facing Baseball right now, in some random order:

1. Parity. The same teams win over and over again. However, Bud has expanded the number of playoff spots and recently they've also fixed the draft system to be more equitable. Foreign free agents remain an area where the big market teams have an advantage.

2. Performance Enhancing Drugs. Yeah, baseball was asleep at the wheel about this for a while (at best), but A-Rod is about to go away for a long time. More notably, the other players caught along with A-Rod just immediately agreed to serve their time - a move away from the old system of joke appeals.

3. Declining Popularity. Baseball is arguably less popular now than it was in the previous few generations. It has lost a lot of ground to football as America's pasttime. The decline is especially notable in the African-American community, a problem people keep pointing out but that few people are doing anything about. Bud has attempted to counteract this by promoting baseball overseas, through the World Baseball Classic and such.

4. Florida. What is to be done here?

5. Antiquated TV model. MLB is going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital, online era. Fans increasingly want to watch their teams play on their computer, not their TV. It makes no sense that an A's fan in Las Vegas should be denied the chance to watch his team because A's fans hundreds of miles away from him are not attending games. But unless they elect a commissioner under the age of 30, this is probably not something that's going to change.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

I refuse to blame Selig for the lack of interest in baseball. America is in an ADD period with people. Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

His last declaration as commish? Eliminate the post of commissioner, create a 'King of MLB' position, name himself to it, add 776474 wild card spots.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
So what are the main knocks on Bud? Just that he had little regard for tradition by doing things like introducing the wildcard, expanding the postseason, etc.? I guess I'm showing my relative youth here, but I think all of that stuff has been positive for the game.

I think it's helpful to look at the problems facing Baseball right now, in some random order:

1. Parity. The same teams win over and over again. However, Bud has expanded the number of playoff spots and recently they've also fixed the draft system to be more equitable. Foreign free agents remain an area where the big market teams have an advantage.

2. Performance Enhancing Drugs. Yeah, baseball was asleep at the wheel about this for a while (at best), but A-Rod is about to go away for a long time. More notably, the other players caught along with A-Rod just immediately agreed to serve their time - a move away from the old system of joke appeals.

3. Declining Popularity. Baseball is arguably less popular now than it was in the previous few generations. It has lost a lot of ground to football as America's pasttime. The decline is especially notable in the African-American community, a problem people keep pointing out but that few people are doing anything about. Bud has attempted to counteract this by promoting baseball overseas, through the World Baseball Classic and such.

4. Florida. What is to be done here?

5. Antiquated TV model. MLB is going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital, online era. Fans increasingly want to watch their teams play on their computer, not their TV. It makes no sense that an A's fan in Las Vegas should be denied the chance to watch his team because A's fans hundreds of miles away from him are not attending games. But unless they elect a commissioner under the age of 30, this is probably not something that's going to change.

I agree with your preface, but any potential negative issues are all moot points since baseball is more profitable than before he was in charge. It's a business and he made it a more profitable one. Even if fan interest declines in whatever metric you want to measure it in as long as people getting paid are getting paid more than before its a good business.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
I refuse to blame Selig for the lack of interest in baseball. America is in an ADD period with people. Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.
But everything is Bud's fault!

Yeah, some people don't understand what the commissioner does but need someone to blame for any shortcomings.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'm not going to quarrel with your post. I will say that as a sport the "action packed" nature of football is greatly exaggerated. There are enough "big plays" to sate the modern audience I suppose. If action and excitement are what you want, nothing tops Stanley Cup Playoff hockey. FWIW baseball is my favorite sport and American football is a very close second.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Baseball just isn't a fast enough and action packed enough sport for our society.
That's why roughly 8 teams average almost 40K per game over the course of 82 games and will draw roughly 3 M/yr. makes sense
Old 09-27-2013, 10:50 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
That's why roughly 8 teams average almost 40K per game over the course of 82 games and will draw roughly 3 M/yr. makes sense
How do you explain a couple of play-off bound teams that have struggled to consistently draw 20,000 per game?

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins