White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Personality

Johnson suspended for basically running in and throwing a sucker punch. That was a punk move.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Was this game played after a long rain delay or something? Because, man, that's a LOT of empty seats in that video for a home team that has 93 wins and is cruising to the playoffs.
Welcome to the ATL
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Welcome to the ATL
...Where the players play, and the fans would rather be watching SEC football.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
...Where the players play, and the fans would rather be watching SEC football.
They have a history of not showing up until the NLCS or later, don't they? I remember seeing a lot of Cubbie blue in the Atlanta stands during the 2003 NLDS. I guess Maddux, Glavine, and the gang spoiled them in the 90s.

I admittedly don't get to watch many Brewers games, but Gomez looks to have bulked up quite a bit since his days in Minnesota (I remember him being a squirrely little pain-in-the-ass), and his power numbers have spiked dramatically over the past two years. This, combined with the gigantic - and seemingly irrational - chip on his shoulder has me wondering about PED usage. Then again, he was a huge jackass before the growth spurt, so...

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX ADDICT '73 View Post
They have a history of not showing up until the NLCS or later, don't they? I remember seeing a lot of Cubbie blue in the Atlanta stands during the 2003 NLDS. I guess Maddux, Glavine, and the gang spoiled them in the 90s.

I admittedly don't get to watch many Brewers games, but Gomez looks to have bulked up quite a bit since his days in Minnesota (I remember him being a squirrely little pain-in-the-ass), and his power numbers have spiked dramatically over the past two years. This, combined with the gigantic - and seemingly irrational - chip on his shoulder has me wondering about PED usage. Then again, he was a huge jackass before the growth spurt, so...
Someone had to fill the gaping void of jackassery that Tony Plush left behind.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Was this game played after a long rain delay or something? Because, man, that's a LOT of empty seats in that video for a home team that has 93 wins and is cruising to the playoffs.
Yeah, that never happens around here with a winner.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?id=250920104
Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Yeah, that never happens around here with a winner.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?id=250920104
So? The attendance in the game you linked to was 26,000. Not perfect, but not totally empty. Do you have a link to a video showing that the lower level seats for that 2005 game (outfield AND behind home plate) were just about completely empty? If not, then what's your point?

I know some people can't help starting the old "let's bash Sox attendance" argument again. But, seeing that video of the recent Braves game brings up a fair question.....even from us lowly Sox fans.

So, I'll restate my question: was there a rain delay or something? Because that's a lot of empty seats in that video. But, but, the 2005 Sox didn't sell out every game - so there!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
So? The attendance in the game you linked to was 26,000. Not perfect, but not totally empty. Do you have a link to a video showing that the lower level seats for that 2005 game (outfield AND behind home plate) were just about completely empty? If not, then what's your point?

I know some people can't help starting the old "let's bash Sox attendance" argument again. But, seeing that video of the recent Braves game brings up a fair question.....even from us lowly Sox fans.

So, I'll restate my question: was there a rain delay or something? Because that's a lot of empty seats in that video. But, but, the 2005 Sox didn't sell out every game - so there!
Well, the link I gave was the Sox in the heat of a pennant race drawing $26k in a city with a city population of 2.7 mil. The Braves drew 19k in the heat of a pennant race with a city population of 440k.

My point being, Sox fans should be the last people who ever make fun of attendance. I love the Sox, but I know what battles I want to pick and what ones I don't.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Well, the link I gave was the Sox in the heat of a pennant race drawing $26k in a city with a city population of 2.7 mil. The Braves drew 19k in the heat of a pennant race with a city population of 440k.

My point being, Sox fans should be the last people who ever make fun of attendance. I love the Sox, but I know what battles I want to pick and what ones I don't.
How many they draw during the roaring '90's?

Sounds like a nerve was touched here.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Even during the roaring 90s, when it seemed like the Braves won the NL west every year, playoff games were regularly blacked out in Atlanta because they weren't sold out. Historically, Atlanta baseball fans have been notoriously fickle.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

....and my point being, Turner Field looked completely empty. If you have 19k, you don't have all the sections even behind home plate empty. I'm seriously asking - was there a rain delay or something? That's not "making fun of attendance" and showing me a 2005 box score that shows 26k attendance tells me nothing.

Show me a clip of a Sox game in late 2005 that was nearly that empty unless there was some sort of delay.

I guess we just have a different way of looking at things. IMO, not every question/comment about another team's crowds draws exaggerated retorts about the Sox's own attendance problems.

If, after looking at the Turner Field clip and seeing the stands, you honestly feel that is comparable to the 2005 Sox, then more power to you.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
WSI Prelate

I was at this game. Got a $21 ticket off StubHub and was 7 rows behind home plate with 755 Club access. There were maybe - maybe - 5,000 people there. I was really surprised.

The Gomez incident was the second AB of the game. It was really fun to be that close to the action.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Saying Atlanta only has a population of 440,000 is a gross misunderrepresentation of the size of the Atlanta metro area. Atlanta proper only accounts for about 5% of the entire metro area by geographic area. The entire metro area has more than 5 million people and is the 9th largest in the United States.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

OK it was a while ago but I lived in Gwinnett County Georgia for a brief spell in he mid 80's. I now live near Columbia, SC. The Atlanta area has people from all over the place. Southern young professionals just out of college flock to Atlanta to begin their careers. Similar to the youngbloods from Michigan, Indiana and downstate Illinois that migrate to Chicago. Atlanta has tons of northern expatriates who moved down there as industry back home dried up. As Spivack and others have pointed out college sports are king in the south, and the northern transplants mostly retain their home town loyalties. So no, Atlanta isn't the greatest pro sports town. Still, if you attend Braves games like I do, you'll notice Braves fans who are day or weekend trippers from all across Georgia, upstate South Carolina and northern Alabama. It's not as dire a situation as the one in Tampa-St. Pete.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
OK it was a while ago but I lived in Gwinnett County Georgia for a brief spell in he mid 80's. I now live near Columbia, SC. The Atlanta area has people from all over the place. Southern young professionals just out of college flock to Atlanta to begin their careers. Similar to the youngbloods from Michigan, Indiana and downstate Illinois that migrate to Chicago. Atlanta has tons of northern expatriates who moved down there as industry back home dried up. As Spivack and others have pointed out college sports are king in the south, and the northern transplants mostly retain their home town loyalties. So no, Atlanta isn't the greatest pro sports town. Still, if you attend Braves games like I do, you'll notice Braves fans who are day or weekend trippers from all across Georgia, upstate South Carolina and northern Alabama. It's not as dire a situation as the one in Tampa-St. Pete.
This is a good point. They're the baseball team for nearly the whole south. I wonder what their cable subscriber base is, without much regional competition.