White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I see where TDog is coming from. The complete games are partly a function of how tight the manager's leash is on his starters. Ventura rides his pitchers into the ground, mostly due to a lack of faith in the bullpen in the 2nd half. Sale could just as easily have zero complete games right now and still be the same pitcher.
I'd argue that if Chris Sale had more complete games right now, he'd be a better pitcher statistically.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:30 PM
WSI Regular

He pitched more like Egg Foo Young than Cy Young tonight. Do all the other serious Cy Young candidates throw a clinker like this so often?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
I'd argue that if Chris Sale had more complete games right now, he'd be a better pitcher statistically.
I've pondered that. I think he would have more wins. I don't know if he would have a better ERA. In his start last week, he left in the eighth without giving up any runs. He might have given up a couple of runs had he stayed in, but he was unlikely to have blown the 6-0 the bullpen blew in the ninth. There was a similar earlier loss where the bullpen allowed a couple of runners to score after he left them on base in the eighth in a game the Sox eventually lost. Maybe those runs wouldn't have scored if he had pitched a complete game that night. Maybe if he's leading 6-1 and walks a guy in the ninth, the runner goes second on defensive indifference and scores on a couple of groundouts. There are situations where teams give up runs for outs where they would the runs would be contested earlier simply because those runs are meaningless.

As it is, Sale leads the league with only a few complete games because managers across baseball use their closers and set-up men so heavily when they have the lead. Really, if complete games are part of Sale's repertoire, part of what makes him an elite pitcher, I'm surprised he isn't pitching more complete games.

I like Chris Sale's future, probably more than any other pitcher in the American League. I don't think he's had a Cy Young season. I expect he will be a better pitcher next season. I don't believe Sale, who has averaged giving up almost one earned run an inning in four starts against Cleveland, who had an April ERA in excess of 4 despite starting an opening day shutout, whose month ERAs for four of the six months of this baseball season were appreciably higher than his ERA for the entire season, has had a consistent 2013.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
He pitched more like Egg Foo Young than Cy Young tonight. Do all the other serious Cy Young candidates throw a clinker like this so often?
I'm not sure what you consider 'often' but Sale has probably had a couple more duds than most of the other contenders the last few months. I'd say even top of the league pitchers have one bad start a month, relatively speaking.

Scherzer has had a fairly rough homestretch as well. The Sox knocked him around pretty good during the month of September and the A's gave him a beating going into Labor Day Weekend.

Darvish got lit up against the A's in early September (what is up with the A's BTW?)

Colon's been solid since Mid-August. Before that he had a bad week getting shelled in back to back starts. He's been pretty good at getting out of jams considering his BAA is pretty high and has relatively few strikeouts.

Iwakuma's been really good and very consistent for Seattle.

Felix Hernandez has been struggling with injury and has had a few bad games down the stretch.

Injuries aside, Anabal Sanchez has been pretty good when he's been healthy. Though the Sox and A's were struggles for him.