White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The article points out that other than win-lose record, nothing about Scherzer would even put him in the argument. He's probably having like the 4th best season, by the numbers.
If you have slavish devotion to WAR that is right where he is at the moment. I have 5 AL pitchers in the mix right now, and Scherzer is having a helluva year. If I had a vote the last two weeks of the season would make my decision, that's how close I have it.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Huh?
Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

It's Scherzer's to lose. Just going to be too difficult to get around what's probably going to be a 20-win season with less than 5 losses and a better than 4:1 K/BB ratio for a team that's going to win the division going away.

Personally can't stand him, because I think he's a huge crybaby when he doesn't get calls, but hard to argue with what he's done this year.

For a team as bad as we are, you're almost going to need Steve Carlton-like numbers to get the Cy, and Sale honestly doesn't have them.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Sabathia's ERA was nearly a full run worse than Felix's. That's not the case with Scherzer/Sale.

Yes other stats come into play, 20+ wins is not always cruise control.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Yes other stats come into play, 20+ wins is not always cruise control.
It's not always, but in the vast majority of cases, if a guy gets 20 wins and has good stats, he's going to get more votes than a guy with somewhat better stats and fewer than 20 wins.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
It's not always, but in the vast majority of cases, if a guy gets 20 wins and has good stats, he's going to get more votes than a guy with somewhat better stats and fewer than 20 wins.

Yup, 20 is usually a magic number even though 20 is only one more than 19. Sale has 2 chances, slim and fat.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Personality

Sale would have to have a memorable finish to the season to have a chance. It would take a perfect game or possibly a no-hitter to get him any attention.

I have to believe there are plenty of voters who will simply look at Max's record and put him down at the top of the list on the Cy Young ballot. Critical thinking is a lost art.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Scherzer, barring some very bad stuff in September, will win it unanimously. He deserves to win. Sale isn't even close, but will probably get a few third-place votes, although that could depend on who is voting this year.

Sale is not a consistent winner, and it isn't only a matter of run support, although he hasn't gotten a lot of that. It's a matter of, in too many cases this season, at least for an elite pitcher, not making the big pitch when he needs to. If you're having a Cy Young season, you don't give up a grand slam after a walk to load the bases when your team has a 3-0 lead in the sixth inning at home. Sale has some impressive numbers, but he isn't winning all the games an elite pitcher should be winning.

I expect more out of Sale than I've seen this year. I hope he is getting the experience this year that will help him win more games in the future.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Scherzer, barring some very bad stuff in September, will win it unanimously. He deserves to win. Sale isn't even close, but will probably get a few third-place votes, although that could depend on who is voting this year.

Sale is not a consistent winner, and it isn't only a matter of run support, although he hasn't gotten a lot of that. It's a matter of, in too many cases this season, at least for an elite pitcher, not making the big pitch when he needs to. If you're having a Cy Young season, you don't give up a grand slam after a walk to load the bases when your team has a 3-0 lead in the sixth inning at home. Sale has some impressive numbers, but he isn't winning all the games an elite pitcher should be winning.

I expect more out of Sale than I've seen this year. I hope he is getting the experience this year that will help him win more games in the future.
Oh, come on. Scherzer has given up big hits and lost leads only to be bailed out by his offense. He hasn't been a lights out Cy Young pitcher this year -- no one in the AL has, really; there are no Kershaws in this league. Instead, you've got Sale, Scherzer, Felix, Darvish and Sanchez who all have a legitimate case.

I'd wager that whoever finishes strongest will win. One of these guys (not Felix obviously) will win a couple more games and strike out 20+ while walking only 2-3 and giving up only one or two runs. That'll be your Cy Young.

Scherzer's faltered a bit down the stretch and lost a few games after making hay as a one-loss pitcher deep into the year. Had he kept that up and finished, say, 22-1 that would've been it, but 20-4 or however he ends up doesn't have the same luster.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM
New At WSI

Quote:

I don't think anyone's saying that Chris Sale has dominated every start. He has however pitched enough quality games to be in consideration for CY Young top 3 at least. I assume you were referring to Sale's start against Texas. Every starter elite or not has a few bad games as Scherzer did against us a few days ago. By your theory King Felix should not have won the CY Young in 2010, he had a couple of bad starts where he made more than a few bad pitches. Chris Sale has pitched three bad games all year in my opinion. With 3 starts of him not going further than 5 IP. Scherzer has 4 games where he went 5 innings or less.

1. April 13 vs Cleveland 4.1 IP, 8 ER
2. August 3 vs Cleveland 5 IP, 5 ER
3. August 23 vs Texas 7 IP, 8 ER

The Sox have given Chris Sale more than 4 runs in only one of his losses. He has pitched 24 games where he allowed no more than 4 earned runs.

5 games 0 ER
5 games 1 ER
7 games 2 ER
5 games 3 ER
2 games 4 ER
1 game 5 ER
2 games 5< ER

Max Scherzer

3 games 0 ER
7 games 1 ER
9 games 2 ER
3 games 3 ER
4 games 4 ER
3 games 5 ER
0 games 5 < ER
Old 09-14-2013, 11:25 PM
MMXXIII

Sale is the best pitcher in the American League, hands down.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I...but...how...what...?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I...but...how...what...?
Scherzer is tied for 3rd most Cheap Wins in the AL (wins in games a SP throws less than 6 IP and allows more than 3 ER). Sale leads the AL in "Tough Losses," losses in starts when the pitcher notches a QS.

It's Sale's fault, though. Natch.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Scherzer is tied for 3rd most Cheap Wins in the AL (wins in games a SP throws less than 6 IP and allows more than 3 ER). Sale leads the AL in "Tough Losses," losses in starts when the pitcher notches a QS.

It's Sale's fault, though. Natch.
You can't teach Chicago Tough.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
You can't teach Chicago Tough.
Bouyah. /Daps.