Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Who are the keepers

I'm very depressed with the future of the team. There is not a lot right now to build around. Right now I keep:

A. Garcia
Beckham
Viciedo (too early to give up on him)
L. Garcia (utility infielder)
That's it for position players, so sad.

Pitchers:
Sale
Santiago
Quintana
Danks (he gets a pass this year because of his surgery)
Jones
Reed

Hahn has got his work cut out for him this coming winter.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Personality

If Addison Reed is the best the Sox can do at closer, then I see no reason for any sort of optimism whatsoever that the Sox can be competitive in the near future...

I remember looking it up and I'm pretty sure he's making less than $1M/yr... the only possible reason they keep throwing his sorry butt out there...
Old 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Viciedo has NO GLOVE. He was picked up to provide power from a corner outfield position. He's a hole and a hat. Dump him.

For a team that plays in USCF, to have this little power production is laughable.

Gar-bage.
Mass firings should ensue along with a
wholesale roster overhaul.
I hope Dunn and Konerko both retire to allow this team to have a ton of cash to spend on younger players who actually give a **** about baseball.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post
Viciedo has NO GLOVE. He was picked up to provide power from a corner outfield position. He's a hole and a hat. Dump him.

For a team that plays in USCF, to have this little power production is laughable.

Gar-bage.
Mass firings should ensue along with a
wholesale roster overhaul.
I hope Dunn and Konerko both retire to allow this team to have a ton of cash to spend on younger players who actually give a **** about baseball.
I'm holding on to the Tank for DH.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I might replace Satiago with Rienzo, but unfortunately I think you have it right, with a do or die year for Danks, Beckham and Reed. My only hope is that wise choices made with plenty of available cash might make for a better 2014.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm very depressed with the future of the team. There is not a lot right now to build around. Right now I keep:

A. Garcia
Beckham
Viciedo (too early to give up on him)
L. Garcia (utility infielder)
That's it for position players, so sad.

Pitchers:
Sale
Santiago
Quintana
Danks (he gets a pass this year because of his surgery)
Jones
Reed

Hahn has got his work cut out for him this coming winter.
How depressed were you in 1976? Really, you should have been more depressed for the future in 1977, although you probably didn't feel that way at the time.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM
WSI Personality

I strongly believe a front office clear out should accompany the roster overhaul...the notion that those that have engineered this historically bad season are in charge of righting a completely sunken ship is bordering on lunacy...
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Personality

Sale, Quintana and Garcia are keepers. Everyone else should be available if we can get a better offer. I think Beckham may be on his batting average dive and will end up in the .260 range so his resurgence may be over. Santiago may just have hit the wall but he has been awful his last 2 starts. Danks on a good team is a 4th heading toward 5th starter.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Really, you should have been more depressed for the future in 1977.
As far as a fans being depressed about 77', not really... Veeck opened the purse strings and spent on Zisk and Gamble... but, other than hitting a lot of HR's, the WS in 77' finished 3rd, 12GB, so who cares?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
How depressed were you in 1976? Really, you should have been more depressed for the future in 1977, although you probably didn't feel that way at the time.
The worst depression was 68, 69 and 70 mainly because I grew up with nothing but winning seasons by the Sox.
1976 was a downer but Veeck signed Zisk, Gamble and Solderholm in the off-season and I thought that the Sox would be over .500 but but what a fun year it turned out to be at least until mid August, still wound up at 90-72.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI High Priest

With a team like this, nothing down the pike and so many holes to fill, no ones a keeper. In order to turn things around in the some what near future, they will have to give to get.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
With a team like this, nothing down the pike and so many holes to fill, no ones a keeper. In order to turn things around in the some what near future, they will have to give to get.
And open up the purse strings.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hahn will have to trade some pitchers for some position players because there are too many holes to fill just by trying to get some players through free agency.

Keepers:
Sale
Quintana
Jones
A. Garcia

We're stuck with Danks because of his salary. He's hardly in the keepers category.

We can trade everyone else, including Beckham, Viciedo, and De Aza. They may be able to bring something in return, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I'd keep Phegley only because there are too many other holes to fill (3B, 2B, LF, CF, 1B) and at least at this point he seems to have the abilty to drive in some runs, even if his batting average is low (he has 2 less RBIs than Beckham with half as many at bats). Let's see what he can do over a full season.

I think the Sox will look to move Santiago, Rienzo, Reed, and others. They will be rebuilding, so they can give starting opportunties to pitchers like Johnson and Leesman while they're buying time.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The worst depression was 68, 69 and 70 mainly because I grew up with nothing but winning seasons by the Sox.
the worst depression was the way 67' ended.. in an extremely tight race at the end all the Sox had to do was beat the dregs of the AL, and everyone was extremely hopeful.. it didn't happen.. that closed the curtain on a long string of some really good years, going all the way back to pre- 59' Go-Go Sox.

I think it took the franchise 4 yrs to recover from what happened in 67'.. 72' with Tanner was fun, and some bright spots in 77', but it was another 4yr dry spell and in 82' you got the sense something good was beginning to happen.

So those of us old enough (including myself) that have memories of 59', have only really seen 2 seasons (70' and 76') anywhere near as bad as 13'. That's 50+ seasons of watching baseball, gang.. that should give some perspective on how historically bad the 13' Sox are...
Old 09-07-2013, 06:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
the worst depression was the way 67' ended.. in an extremely tight race at the end all the Sox had to do was beat the dregs of the AL, and everyone was extremely hopeful.. it didn't happen.. that closed the curtain on a long string of some really good years, going all the way back to pre- 59' Go-Go Sox.

I think it took the franchise 4 yrs to recover from what happened in 67'.. 72' with Tanner was fun, and some bright spots in 77', but it was another 4yr dry spell and in 82' you got the sense something good was beginning to happen.n

So those of us old enough (including myself) that have memories of 59', have only really seen 2 seasons (70' and 76') anywhere near as bad as 13'. That's 50+ seasons of watching baseball, gang.. that should give some perspective on how historically bad the 13' Sox are...
Imagine how depressed I was in 67, 1 week after the season ended I got orders to Viet Nam.