White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:52 PM
pudge pudge is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,944
Default Kenny misses being GM

Really interesting quotes - you can tell he misses it. I think we all sometimes think the grass is going to be greener doing something else and it isn't always the case. Also really fascinating to hear JR and Kenny lamenting the team until 1:30 in the morning. I know most fans will respond to this with negativity, but I think it's cool to know these guys care, they are human, they are doing what they think is right. We may not agree with every move, but they want success for this franchise as much as fans do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,592539.story
__________________
"I'm sorry that you don't like our manager," Williams says he told him.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
Really interesting quotes - you can tell he misses it. I think we all sometimes think the grass is going to be greener doing something else and it isn't always the case. Also really fascinating to hear JR and Kenny lamenting the team until 1:30 in the morning. I know most fans will respond to this with negativity, but I think it's cool to know these guys care, they are human, they are doing what they think is right. We may not agree with every move, but they want success for this franchise as much as fans do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,592539.story
I got the same impression. I wonder with how well Kenny and Jerry get along and the mess that this season was if Jerry fires Hahn and lets Kenny do both jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I got the same impression. I wonder with how well Kenny and Jerry get along and the mess that this season was if Jerry fires Hahn and lets Kenny do both jobs.
I need a translator for this one.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:15 PM
XplodingScorbord's Avatar
XplodingScorbord XplodingScorbord is offline
WSI Irregular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I got the same impression. I wonder with how well Kenny and Jerry get along and the mess that this season was if Jerry fires Hahn and lets Kenny do both jobs.
He's saying that because KW and JR get along so well, and because this season went poorly, he wonders if Hahn is going to get fired and Kenny is going to resume being GM.

To which I say: Zero percent chance.
__________________
**Xploding Scorbord**
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I need a translator for this one.
Thank you, I thought it was me at first.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 PM
pudge pudge is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
He's saying that because KW and JR get along so well, and because this season went poorly, he wonders if Hahn is going to get fired and Kenny is going to resume being GM.

To which I say: Zero percent chance.
Zero percent, and a horrible idea. Hahn is what is needed. None of this season is his fault. I am actually glad Kenny stepped aside, I just thought it was interesting he still craves the job.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM
SOXBOY SOXBOY is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: chicago
Posts: 241
Default

I love how so far Hahn has handled cleaning up Kenny's mess of a team. I just wonder how much say so Kenny has with the moves Hahn makes or wants to make.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,645
Default

It was time for Kenny to go. I am sure Ozzie misses being a manager too, but I would not want him back either. 2005 is going on 10 years ago, and Kenny has not done much since. 2 quiet first round exits. We need a big picture guy, and Rick is it. I just hope he is not being handcuffed by Kenny.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXBOY View Post
I love how so far Hahn has handled cleaning up Kenny's mess of a team. I just wonder how much say so Kenny has with the moves Hahn makes or wants to make.
I should hope Kenny gave Hahn freedom to make moves without his consent. At least for the time being, Hahn should only be talking to Reinsdorf about potential moves. The GM who created this big a mess should not be consulted on how to clean it up.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I should hope Kenny gave Hahn freedom to make moves without his consent. At least for the time being, Hahn should only be talking to Reinsdorf about potential moves. The GM who created this big a mess should not be consulted on how to clean it up.
And if the mess was created by the guy who you think Hahn should now be talking to?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Huisj Huisj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 3,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It was time for Kenny to go. I am sure Ozzie misses being a manager too, but I would not want him back either. 2005 is going on 10 years ago, and Kenny has not done much since. 2 quiet first round exits. We need a big picture guy, and Rick is it. I just hope he is not being handcuffed by Kenny.
That would be nice. It's actually only 1.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
That would be nice. It's actually only 1.
Ugh, you are right, I don't know why I was thinking we had been back twice. Wow it has been a while!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM
bestkosher bestkosher is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 462
Default

I sympathize with Kenny. Being in all the action and all furvor no matter how fustrating is something you miss when you no longer have it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
And if the mess was created by the guy who you think Hahn should now be talking to?
Reinsdorf, Ventura, Bell, hell, even Merkin would be a better guy to consult on these issues.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 829
Default

It's not at all fair to say that Kenny is fully responsible for the mess this year. Hahn was in charge this offseason and decided to bring back the exact same club that choked away a division title, largely because they couldn't hit. He didn't address it. Both of them get the blame.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.