White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should we do with Sale for the rest of the year?
Shut him down! Not worth the risk. 5 4.63%
Ease him out. Miss a few starts. 54 50.00%
Pitch him and build up arm strength so he's effective longer next year. 37 34.26%
Let him eat churros! 12 11.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2013, 11:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
This.

and this.

Maybe you did not know it (because it is a little-known fact), but the Rangers have a Catcher who used to play for the White Sox who knows Chris Sale inside/out.
Touche.

I'm amazed "Take him to the woodshed and put him down" wasn't a poll option.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM
New At WSI

No you don't shut Sale down, Quintana should get 190 innings, Santiago should be around 150, Rienzo will be around a combined 175 innings and Erik Johnson should get close to 165 innings. That is good for youngsters to build up their arm strength to full capacity. Sale is ready for a full season of pitching. It is time to take the kids' gloves off with him.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

As soon as the rosters expand, I would go to a six or seven man rotation.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
No! He isn't a baby, you eventually have to let him pitch a whole season.
I agree.Maybe ease off his innings slightly (only 5 innings instead of 7 or 8),but Sale's arm strength is important.He's not a rook anymore.Play with the big boys or go the **** home.

Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Sale needs to continue to pitch because he has a lot to learn.

He's very talented, but he needs to learn to concentrate on making a good pitch every time he throws the ball because that pitch can be the difference in the ballgame. (See the first home run he allowed last night.)

Sale also needs to learn to control his emotions on the mound. His act, perhaps picked up from Peavy, of visibly getting mad after making a mistake is getting old. It only compounds the original mistake. (See the second home run he allowed last night.)

Yes,yes and Yes!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Sale needs to continue to pitch because he has a lot to learn.

He's very talented, but he needs to learn to concentrate on making a good pitch every time he throws the ball because that pitch can be the difference in the ballgame. (See the first home run he allowed last night.)

Sale also needs to learn to control his emotions on the mound. His act, perhaps picked up from Peavy, of visibly getting mad after making a mistake is getting old. It only compounds the original mistake. (See the second home run he allowed last night.)
Chris Sale is probably one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball. He is in the top 10 in ERA and SO. He is also still young and as such still gaining experience.
I bet fans of every pitcher in the top 10 would say their guy needs to concentrate on making a good pitch every time they throw the ball. What ML pitcher already makes a good pitch every time they throw the ball????
Sale has been damn good so far. I am not sure why he should control his emotions. Overall being emotional has been pretty successful for him. Heck we had plenty of people say Rios wasn't emotional enough. I know Clemens and Shilling were very much like Peavy when they made a bad pitch. They probably needed to follow the make a good pitch every time rule as well.
Sale is a great pitcher on a lousy team. I hope he doesn't make too many adjustments because a top 10 ML pitcher is very rare.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I am not sure why he should control his emotions.
So he doesn't hurt himself beating up a water cooler.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI Guru

I don't know why we have to have this discussion every time Sale has a poor game.

He got shelled in April against Cleveland, and I read a bunch of posts that day about how "it wasn't just a bad outing" and "something is obviously wrong," and "I expect a DL announcement tomorrow."

I think he should have been removed from the game sooner last night because he obviously did not have his stuff. But shut him down for the season? That strikes me as a paranoid overreaction.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't pretend to have nearly enough knowledge on pitching mechanics or kinesiology to make very informed decisions on the subject so whatever the Sox decide to do will, IMO, be the correct decision. For all the things this organization does poorly, and that's quite a laundry list, they do seem to have a knack for developing pitching and protecting player's health.

That also said, the Rangers aren't exactly a slouch of a team, I'm sure Sale's not the first pitcher this season they've made look bad. If he starts getting lit up by the Astros and Marlins, OK, then maybe I'll wonder. In 2 of his last 3 starts, Sale's shut down the Tigers and Yankees, so at this point, it seems prudent to think yesterday was the exception and not the rule.

Also, finally, Sale did struggle last September, and I'd personally prefer he learn how to keep stretching out and lasting a full season in a wasted year, rather than have him melt down again late in a meaningful season.
Well put.

For the life of me, I don't know why people believe pitching a full season will do a pitcher harm in the future. I do see cases where pitchers come back from pitching in the World Series and aren't as sharp the next year from which some would surmise there is a workload carryover. But that isn't just about inning pitched or pitches thrown. It could be about pitching an additional month and not getting a full off-season to rest.

You see a lot of young pitchers who fade in September because they have never pitched so deep in a season before. If you want to develop strong starting pitchers, you want them to pitch in September.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Well put.

For the life of me, I don't know why people believe pitching a full season will do a pitcher harm in the future. I do see cases where pitchers come back from pitching in the World Series and aren't as sharp the next year from which some would surmise there is a workload carryover. But that isn't just about inning pitched or pitches thrown. It could be about pitching an additional month and not getting a full off-season to rest.

You see a lot of young pitchers who fade in September because they have never pitched so deep in a season before. If you want to develop strong starting pitchers, you want them to pitch in September.
I don't think it's just a workload carryover it's the type of work. I would be willing to bet that every single player playing in the World Series is playing right at the edge of their ability. There is no tomorrow. There is nothing to hold back this is why you play the game. Adreniline is maxed, effort is pushed to the extreme and every single pitch could be the difference between winning and losing the game.

The extra 6-8 starts from playing a full post season don't help but when the final 2-3 of an extra long season require every single thing you have left in the tank, that can cause fatigue.

At least that's what I would speculate. I admit I am not a doctor and have nothing but anecdotal evidence to rely on.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-24-2013, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I agree, if he can't pitch a whole season now, how can the Sox expect him to pitch late in the season when they are playoff bound. This shutting down pitchers trend is getting ridiculous.
I agree with this. Maybe an extra day of rest if the schedule allows, but how will the top brass ever know if he can hold up for 200 innings or so a season if they shut him down and send him home early?

SMO
Old 08-24-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Well put.

Can't he pitch into September and get some extra rest? The guy is on pace to pitch over 219 innings. Is that really necessary given the teams place in the standings this year?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

So one terrible outing and it's time to shut him down?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Yeah shut him down, then when you need him to pitch in September and October, he will be ready because nothing builds up arm strength better than sitting out.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:04 PM
WSI Prelate

I think it makes sense to keep an eye on him and it might make sense to shut him down at some point in September. I know that Cooper has said something along the lines of if you want to make a pitcher into a 200 inning pitcher the best way to do that is have them pitch 200 innings. If he appears to be running out of gas the way he was last year it might make sense to have him miss a couple of starts to give him so extra rest but I would really like to see Sale pitch 200 innings this year. I think it makes more sense to shut down a veteran the way we did with Buehrle in 2007 than a younger guy.

Go Sox!!!