White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Troncoso, however, is just a guy I wish they'd just release. Work out a trade and get Casper Wells back to pitch if they have to.
At this point, everytime I see Troncoso warming in the pen, I just turn the game off and do something else. I can't think of a time I regretted that decision off the of my head.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Most seasons your bullpen will have one guy (tops) who can be described as a garbage time pitcher -- a guy who usually only gets in when the game is out of hand or there is no one else available. After Thornton and Crain were traded, half our bullpen is made up of "garbage-timers" (Troncoso, Axelrod and Veal). Another guy (Purcey) has pitched well enough recently to now be a "near garbage-timer." Others (Heath and Omogrosso) were horrible in garbage-time auditions and are back in the minors.

This is what happens when you re-build. Garbage-timers pitch the 9th in a tie ballgame.

It's hard to believe Veal was so good last season and so bad this season.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Yes the bullpen sucks and there isn't much to choose from anymore, but with all the Ozzie-like LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR bullpen moves lately, how many more times is Nate Jones going to pitch to Morneau? So much for my goal of just seeing smart decent baseball for the rest of the season. Garbage through and through.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Hasn't the argument, "There must be someone better in AAA" been proven wrong enough this season, due to one the AAA callups being worse than the next repeatedly?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hasn't the argument, "There must be someone better in AAA" been proven wrong enough this season, due to one the AAA callups being worse than the next repeatedly?
That's okay - keep digging. One of these failed starter prospects will eventually find a home in the bullpen. Nothing to lose with Veal and Troncoso out there. Castro was up for a few games and did fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Koch I don't hate all that much, despite his struggles he clearly knew he was struggling and owned up to it. It was more sad than anything else.

And at least Howry had a couple decent seasons before breaking down.

I stand by my earlier answer: Jose Paniagua.
Didn't Koch end up getting diagnosed with some kind of disorder? I really can't hate him if he was sick, even if he was horrible in 03-04.

I say Troncoso was worse than Paniagua. Hard to say he was the worst reliever in Sox history, even if he did give up 4 runs in 0.1 innings in his only appearance ever and flipped the fans off afterwards. Troncoso flips the fans off every time he steps on the mound and attempts to pitch.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: TBD
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)

Frank Thomas, Hall of Famer. I love the sound of that.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
It's hard to believe Veal was so good last season and so bad this season.
Veal goes bad if you don't refrigerate it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

I am at the point that while I want to beat the Tigers to irritate them, otherwise, I want individual players like Garcia to excel,but I am fine with losing games to secure that #2 draft slot.

We know a good bullpen would have saved a number of games recently,but we also know that we traded away much of our good bullpen occupants.

Axelrod and Troncoso are like white flags coming in from the bullpen...we give up!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Veal goes bad if you don't refrigerate it.
My favorite line of the year so far regarding the pen: "I hear the Veal Troncoso is not very good here."
Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's okay - keep digging. One of these failed starter prospects will eventually find a home in the bullpen. Nothing to lose with Veal and Troncoso out there. Castro was up for a few games and did fine.
Castro is horse**** and doesn't belong with the Sox. Check his numbers in the minors and look at his last few outings. It hasn't been pretty. He's given up 16 ER in 11.1 innings since he was optioned.

As I indicated earlier in the thread, I think Petricka and Webb might both be in line for a September callup. Both have been pitching well out of the pen in Charlotte. Webb hasn't given up an earned run in over a month.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
Troncoso - the reliever who may overtake Ryan Bukvich as most hated relief pitcher in Sox history?
I don't think Troncoso is even close to being the most hated Sox relief pitcher. The reason is that this team is so bad, I don't think most fans are really getting an ulcer over Ramon Tronosco.

Bukvich played for the lousy 2007 team, but at least more people still cared when he was getting lit up. It's tough to beat Paniagua as far as hatred is concerned. The Sox were actually hoping to win the division when he pitched for us.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Castro is horse**** and doesn't belong with the Sox. Check his numbers in the minors and look at his last few outings. It hasn't been pretty. He's given up 16 ER in 11.1 innings since he was optioned.

As I indicated earlier in the thread, I think Petricka and Webb might both be in line for a September callup. Both have been pitching well out of the pen in Charlotte. Webb hasn't given up an earned run in over a month.
Those are legitimate prospects. We aren't going to call them up until September.
But there are many other minor leaguers we can try out for bullpen duty, including Castro.

The comparison to Bukvich is a good one. Hated may not be the right word: I'm think inept or pathetic.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Bukvich would probably be an asset to the bullpen right now. A 5 ERA in 2007 was quite a bit better than a 5.3 ERA is now (about what Troncoso is at).
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
WSI Personality

Troncoso's best (and only) year was 09' Since then he declined until the Dodgers released him last year. What made the Sox think he could work out? I would love to know what their "scouts" saw in this bum..

Did they think Don Cooper Magic Fairy dust was gonna bring him back from the dead? or was it another case, get a guy at bargain basement rates, cross your fingers, and hope he catches fire?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Why is Troncoso on this team? He's an organizational minor leaguer.
They had Castro up for a (short) while and sent him down. Why not bring him back up?
The Sox did the same thing in the last poor season, with Bukvich and Myers.
There's something wrong with Castro's arm/shoulder. He's lost 10mph off is fastball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).