White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
The Sox should stand pat and do nothing.
Ya. They should dump as much money as possible on someone who could be a monumental failure.

Wait. They did that with Adam Dunn. And that's exactly why they are where they are.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
The best player in the world not in the Majors and a potential MVP Candidate who is still in his prime. He's going to get a lot of money.
Quote:
The Sox should stand pat and do nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Ya. They should dump as much money as possible on someone who could be a monumental failure.

Wait. They did that with Adam Dunn. And that's exactly why they are where they are.
I realize he may get a ton of money but the only international players I can remember that didn't earn the money they got would be Fukudome, Irabu and Kazuo Matsui. Everyone else has pretty much earned what they got. Granted there are still a couple kids in the Cubs organization who the jury is still out on.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

That's right. So they should take no risks and sit on the money.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

This guy should thank Yasiel Puig for the overvaluation.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If it means not out bidding the Yankees and Red Sox and Rangers and Dodgers and the ridiculous amounts of money they'll dump on an entirely unproven commodity then ya.

How about they use the amount of money this kid is going to sign for to sign 4 or 5 players who've actually proven they can play in the majors?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Why even play baseball? Release all the players and spend the cash on a kick ass fireworks show 81 times per night.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
If it means not out bidding the Yankees and Red Sox and Rangers and Dodgers and the ridiculous amounts of money they'll dump on an entirely unproven commodity then ya.

How about they use the amount of money this kid is going to sign for to sign 4 or 5 players who've actually proven they can play in the majors?
So the Sox should never sign any unproven commodities? No international players... ever? You would have hated to see Puig or Cespedes or Ichiro or Darvish on the White Sox?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

For everyone of those guys you get a Viciedo or Irabu or Shingo or someone else that doesn't pan out. You can't keep dumping money on single players at what will likely be a ridiculous salary when you need at least 5 position players. You think Dunn has handcuffed the Sox? What do you think a guy who may not even hit a major league home run would do if he was making even more money?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
For everyone of those guys you get a Viciedo or Irabu or Shingo or someone else that doesn't pan out. You can't keep dumping money on single players at what will likely be a ridiculous salary when you need at least 5 position players. You think Dunn has handcuffed the Sox? What do you think a guy who may not even hit a major league home run would do if he was making even more money?
Well, that's what scouting players is for. Abreu ain't Viciedo, and he isn't Puig, either. The point is that he might be talented enough to be worth all that money. How other international players have panned out, or not, has no bearing on him.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
WSI Personality

Wow, tough crowd. Don't come here with your own opinion apparently. One reason why I don't post often on this website.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Is there anyone who thinks Dunn has handcuffed the Sox?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
Wow, tough crowd. Don't come here with your own opinion apparently. One reason why I don't post often on this website.
Cool
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM
WSI Personality

I vote for taking a serious run at him. I think he'll get Puig type contract, and as much as he could be a bust, we need Impact talent, we have lots of filler types at the minor league level. You have to start somewhere. I originally laughed at the contracts of Cespedes and Puig, but now they seem very reasonable and almost under market for players of their caliber. I would hope that an actual MLB scouting department would be able to determine if it is likely he will turn into a good player. If the answer is yes, make a strong offer. If Oakland can do it, there is no reason the Sox shouldnt be in the mix.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Well, that's what scouting players is for. Abreu ain't Viciedo, and he isn't Puig, either. The point is that he might be talented enough to be worth all that money. How other international players have panned out, or not, has no bearing on him.
It's really hard to adequately scout Cuban players though. Viciedo looked like a stud with great bat speed in limited visibility, but two months into his minor league career most scouts soured on him because of his lack of any sort of batting eye.

I'm not saying don't spend on Cuban free agents, just that $60+ million is a ton to throw at someone you've only been able to evaluate a half dozen times. It makes more sense for pitchers than hitters. You can't tell much from 20 at bats.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
He might be, he might not. I agree that other players success or failures shouldn't factor into him, but I'm not the one who brought up other players.

I just don't think it would be wise for the Sox to pay a guy top 10 in MLB type money when it's not sure he'll even be able to play. Let the deep pocketed take that chance.