White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Pennant race....

I am glad the Sox are involved in these important games down the stretch vs KC and Detroit.

This keeps me engaged as I love to watch late Sept pressure packed baseball.

Last nite the A's and Smarmy had the lowly Rangers down 1-0 thru 8. They bring in the closer and the Rangers blew up for 6 runs to allow the Angels to clinch the West.

A's are really squeezing it tight this month.
Same with the Tigers who have lost the last two nites to the loosey goosey Twins.
M's lost the last two nites to the hard charging Angels, but are still only two games behind the A's/Royals who are tied for the last wildcard spot.

Sox can stick a dagger in the Tigers and Royals next week...go for it.

In the NL, it is down to Brewers trying to catch the Bucs for that last wildcard spot, but the Giants are now only a game back of the Dodgers for the West....Brewers are 2 back, and go to Pitt for 4 games this weekend..last gasp for Brewcrew?
Giants go to Dodgers for 3 next week....these games are always fun.

Hate that the Sox are done, but still enjoy Sept pennant race bb.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

I enjoy checking the box scores to see how the former Sox playing for contenders are doing -- De Aza, Beckham, Peavy, Santiago, Dunn, Uribe, A.J., Thornton, Liriano -- even Nix, Grilli, Downs and Morel.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Angels ‏@Angels 6m

Special addition to right field. #GetOctobeRED #WeOwnTheWest

<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Huge 9th inning 3 run homer by the M's propel them to a 3-1 win over the Angels....only one game separates Tigers, A's, KC and the M's....3 get in...who is out?

I am rooting for the Tigers to fall short. A's are second.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Huge 9th inning 3 run homer by the M's propel them to a 3-1 win over the Angels....only one game separates Tigers, A's, KC and the M's....3 get in...who is out?

I am rooting for the Tigers to fall short. A's are second.
The moment the A's inquired about Dunn, I knew they were dunn with the playoffs.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Angels ‏@Angels 6m

Special addition to right field. #GetOctobeRED #WeOwnTheWest

7th playoff appearance for the Halos since 2002 - including 6 division titles.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Hate that the Sox are done, but still enjoy Sept pennant race bb.
August is brutal when your team is bad.
But in September, there are young players to watch plus the opportunity to interrupt and crash the champagne celebrations - that's always fun.
I'd like to see the Sox kick KC/Detroit out of the wildcard this weak.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
August is brutal when your team is bad.
But in September, there are young players to watch plus the opportunity to interrupt and crash the champagne celebrations - that's always fun.
I'd like to see the Sox kick KC/Detroit out of the wildcard this weak.
Not that Wilkins has been much fun to watch, although Bassitt has had that one good start. I saw where Phlegley got a hit Friday night -- go former Hoosiers.

Ideally, I would like to see a three-way tie for the AL Wild Card, maybe even a four-way tie with KC, Detroit, Seattle and Oakland ending up with the same record. I want to see an AL playoff to determine who gets in the AL wildcard playoff to see who gets to go to the ALDS. Normally, I wouldn't want to see the Royals or the Tigers make the postseason, but it's inevitable for at least one of them. I don't even like Seattle, but they are my least despised team in the lot. The team I hate most, though, is the A's. With their 1969-Cubs-like collapse, for which their GM has to be held at least partially responsible, they don't deserve to make the postseason.

Seeing the White Sox in September play for a better record than Adam Dunn's new team plays for in September (that is, seeing the trying-not-to-finish-last White Sox after jettisoning Adam Dunn playing better than the mighty, seemingly postseason-bound A's with the addition of Adam Dunn) while blowing their seemingly comfortable wild card lead would be fun to watch.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

My understanding is if there is a 4-way tie, the Royals play the Tigers to settle the division title and the loser is eliminated from Wild Card contention because the 163rd game counts on their record and thus they will be 1/2-game behind the other two teams.

So in that scenario, Oakland and Seattle would be the wildcards.

Is that correct or did they alter the rules?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
My understanding is if there is a 4-way tie, the Royals play the Tigers to settle the division title and the loser is eliminated from Wild Card contention because the 163rd game counts on their record and thus they will be 1/2-game behind the other two teams.

That makes perfect sense, although I've never looked up the scenario or heard it discussed. The one-game playoff to settle ties is a regular-season game. If two players were tied for the league lead in home runs, for example, and one broke the tie in a game 163 playoff, he would win the title outright. And it wouldn't be so much of a scramble to have two AL teams, perhaps using their best pitchers, involved in a one-game playoff to decide who advances to the ALDS, the wild card going to Anaheim and the Central champ going to Baltimore.

But if there can't playoff to determine who gets to go to the wild-card playoff, either with two teams tied for the second spot or three teams tied for the two spots, I think it would be good for baseball if the A's fall out of the wild card and let the second-place Central team and Mariners determine who is going to Anaheim.

It used to be, I think detrimental to the integrity of baseball, that a tie with the wild card involved would be decided by a tie-breaker. Now I am pretty sure that if two teams ties for the
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Jon Paul Morosi wrote this where he said he consulted with the commish office:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...lay-out-091914

Royals play at Detroit to determine AL Central on Monday the 29th. (Det won season series)

Loser gets assigned to the WC pool. Each of the 3 teams gets assigned team A, B, or C, by choice, with head to head records settling it. Seattle would have the first pick and would probably pick A as they won season series against other 3 potential teams.

Tuesday: Team A (Seattle) hosts the AL Central loser on the 30th. Winner becomes 1st WC.

Wednesday: Team B (Oakland) hosts the loser of the Tuesday game. Winner becomes 2nd WC.

Thursday: Wild Card Game.

Winner of the WC game plays Friday against the AL team with the best record. The other ALDS would start on schedule on Thursday.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
WSI Personality

Disagree Terrible

Ridiculous tiebreaking scenarios. Why not play a whole new 162 while we're at it?

I made a thread addressing this foolishness.
-----------------

Just checked out the Tribe-Royals game. I wonder if a team has ever walked off on the road. KC was a HR away from doing that.

Last edited by cub killer; Yesterday at 05:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

KC salvaged a game vs Tigers so are still only 1.5 games back, but they have that game vs Indians pending...11th inning down two runs...unless they rally in one inning, they are really two back of Detroit.

Sox need to help them with a sweep of the Tigers, but Robin has decided to go with Bassich and Carroll....ouch...KC cannot be happy.

Then they turn around and throw Q, Danks and Noesi vs KC...tougher road for KC.

I am so sick of the Tigers, was hoping they go down.

M's are still in the hunt...half game back, I believe.
A's are hanging on..barely.

Wish that all but the M's could fail...
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
KC salvaged a game vs Tigers so are still only 1.5 games back, but they have that game vs Indians pending...11th inning down two runs...unless they rally in one inning, they are really two back of Detroit.

Sox need to help them with a sweep of the Tigers, but Robin has decided to go with Bassich and Carroll....ouch...KC cannot be happy.

Then they turn around and throw Q, Danks and Noesi vs KC...tougher road for KC.

I am so sick of the Tigers, was hoping they go down.

M's are still in the hunt...half game back, I believe.
A's are hanging on..barely.

Wish that all but the M's could fail...
It looks like most of these teams are going to limp into the playoffs. Only Detroit has a winning record in its last 10 games.
Old Today, 12:46 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
The moment the A's inquired about Dunn, I knew they were dunn with the playoffs.
Totally agree here. In 14 seasons, the only time he's played on a team that is over .500 was the last two months of 2008 (D'backs finished 2 games over .500) and the final of month of 2014.

That is just an amazing stat.