White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I think everyone is missing the boat here... $13.5 million available for the Sox can go towards getting one bad-ass scoreboard installed by next year!
Don't we need to get the team squared away before working on upgrading the hardware around the ballpark..
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
What makes you think that? If no other team felt the same way, he would have cleared waivers. Right now, they can deal him only to Texas. Why not hold on to him and see what you can get in the offseason? What's the rush to trade him now? In the offseason, there will be many more potential trading partners. And if no one wants to pay what the White Sox want in return, I'd be fine keeping one of the better RFs in MLB in 2014.
I just don't believe that.

How is the trade market for him going to improve from July (when teams are a bit more desperate than in the off season) to November? You go from having him available to play 1.5 seasons to only having him for only 1 year.

If the Sox would've gotten an offer filled with prospects in July, he would've been dealt. I just don't see how those offers would - or will - improve when teams have more options to consider. More guys will be 'on the block', there'll be 20 available replacements in FA (some who are cheaper, some who are better, but guys who aren't Alex Rios - who many teams, I believe, have a negative opinion of), and some teams aren't the Sox and have guys that a pushing towards the Majors who might be ready to go next year.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Don't we need to get the team squared away before working on upgrading the hardware around the ballpark..
I was joking. Figured teal wouldn't have been necessary for such a ridiculous comment.

Honestly though, the organization should focus on improving everything they can - always. That's how good businesses are run. There's baseball people who should be focusing on improving the baseball team. And there are stadium/fan ops people who should be focusing on improving the fan/customer experience any way they can.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Oh it's going to be a long afternoon...

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post

Choo is a good player. But is he significantly better than Rios? Choo is hitting .283 with 15 HR and 12 SB. Rios' respective numbers are .277, 12 and 26. Choo is a good player, but he is going to easily command over $10M a year anyway, and his numbers aren't much better than Rios.
The difference is Choo is also good for 80+ walks a season (and apparently is a magnet for pitched baseballs). Pop him in the second spot, he'd be a great pickup. Plus, he can apparently produce and play CF at the same time, though I am skeptical the switch to right really had anything to do with Rios' turn around at the plate. Probably just a coincidence. The turn around came when Rios finally abandoned his horrible approach at the plate where he bobbed his hands up and down and lifted his hands during his swing instead of coming down on the ball.

Either way, I'd argue Choo is the better player overall, plus Choo is two years younger.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Regular

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2h
and don't ask me what size a bread basket is because I have no idea
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2h
Chance that the #White Sox trade Alex Rios to the #Rangers today "smaller than a bread basket" according to a source involved in trade talks
Expand

Couple of funny tweets from Bowden. Smaller than a breadbasket, LOL.

Gotta love these MLB execs using these analysts and reporters and their Twitter accountants as negotiating tactics.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I just don't believe that.

How is the trade market for him going to improve from July (when teams are a bit more desperate than in the off season) to November? You go from having him available to play 1.5 seasons to only having him for only 1 year.

If the Sox would've gotten an offer filled with prospects in July, he would've been dealt. I just don't see how those offers would - or will - improve when teams have more options to consider. More guys will be 'on the block', there'll be 20 available replacements in FA (some who are cheaper, some who are better, but guys who aren't Alex Rios - who many teams, I believe, have a negative opinion of), and some teams aren't the Sox and have guys that a pushing towards the Majors who might be ready to go next year.
Because every team in baseball is looking to improve in November. In July, you have only 10-12 teams looking to buy. In November, you have 30 teams looking to buy. Not that all 30 teams would be interested in Rios, but there might be more than two, as there were in July.

Right now, the only team the Sox can negotiate with is the Rangers. I don't think Texas is going to meet Hahn's price. Hahn doesn't have to trade him now, so he probably won't.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Because every team in baseball is looking to improve in November. In July, you have only 10-12 teams looking to buy. In November, you have 30 teams looking to buy. Not that all 30 teams would be interested in Rios, but there might be more than two, as there were in July.

Right now, the only team the Sox can negotiate with is the Rangers. I don't think Texas is going to meet Hahn's price. Hahn doesn't have to trade him now, so he probably won't.
Every team also has a larger pool of players to choose from via free agency that costs them nothing in prospects.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Oh it's going to be a long afternoon...

When isn't it a long afternoon on this site when these stories break?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Alex Rios has been traded to the #Rangers.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

#WhiteSox receive Leury Garcia in return for Alex Rios. #Rangers

"See you on a dark night."
Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
It's not an international draft yet, it's a hard slotting system with teams able to trade international slots.

And the Sox signed BBA's #9 ranked international player in Micker Zapata.

The real question when it comes to the amateur draft.

Will we draft players based on talent or with signability as in the past. How far will we go over slot to sign prospects? Will we be creative to maximize the players signed, like the Astros have done the last two drafts?
Sorry, my fault, I meant a hard-slotting system for international signings w/a worst to first money allotment (i.e. worst team has the most money to spend and the champs have the least.)

As far as the actual draft: I thought that teams could no longer go over slot to sign players. Did I misunderstand this part of the new CBA?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
WSI Personality

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m
Retweeted by Chris Rongey

Jamey Newberg ‏@NewbergReport 49s
Now @DanHayesCSN says it's Rios for Leury Garcia. If true, Leury will have to get by Houston on waivers; otherwise he'll be a PTBNL.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

#WhiteSox receive Leury Garcia in return for Alex Rios. #Rangers
Making of team of Garcias. Sound strategy.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Cancel that on Leury Garcia. Was told will be a player to be named or cash. #WhiteSox #rangers

Similar to the Crain deal.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Making of team of Garcias. Sound strategy.
Bring back Sweaty....