White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 02:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Konerko has had a tremendous career with the Sox, but his time with the team has come to an end after this season, if he's not traded first.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Tank takes over at first base I am going to shoot myself in the face.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
If Tank takes over at first base I am going to shoot myself in the face.
If Tank stays in left field I am going to shoot myself in the face.
DH is fine with me.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If Tank stays in left field I am going to shoot myself in the face.
DH is fine with me.
Unless Tank can make turkey sandwiches in less than 16 minutes, I don't want him in the park.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Unless Tank can make turkey sandwiches in less than 16 minutes, I don't want him in the park.
That is also fine with me, Chris Sale is about the only keeper, sad but true.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
My vote for POTW.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 AM
WSI High Priest

When I started this post I thought that PK still had something left in the tank, after watching him last night I'm changing my mind. It will be interesting if he can see the handwriting on the wall and hangs them up. I imagine he will make the decision very soon so the Sox can honor him with a special day.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Its a shame it always comes down to this. Mr. Konerko has always fought thru injuries and slumps to play his ass off for this organization. Unfortunately I think he's at the point in his career that he's pulled out whatever was left in the tank. I think he knows and sees what you see Nell. It would have been nice if he could have exited stage left under different circumstances, but this has only been magnified by the atrocious season this team has put on display this year.

He's always been a team guy and we were blessed to have him when we did. These guys only come along a couple of times in our lifetime. We were blessed he and the Big Hurt wore the Pale Hose..

BK59
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Its a shame it always comes down to this. Mr. Konerko has always fought thru injuries and slumps to play his ass off for this organization. Unfortunately I think he's at the point in his career that he's pulled out whatever was left in the tank. I think he knows and sees what you see Nell. It would have been nice if he could have exited stage left under different circumstances, but this has only been magnified by the atrocious season this team has put on display this year.

He's always been a team guy and we were blessed to have him when we did. These guys only come along a couple of times in our lifetime. We were blessed he and the Big Hurt wore the Pale Hose..

BK59
It seemed like it happened awful fast with PK, he was great the first half last year but then he got hit near the eye, another injury which I can't remember and then the concussion. I was hoping for a career for PK like Yaz had playing till 43, even he might have stayed on a year too long.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It seemed like it happened awful fast with PK, he was great the first half last year but then he got hit near the eye, another injury which I can't remember and then the concussion. I was hoping for a career for PK like Yaz had playing till 43, even he might have stayed on a year too long.
Thats just it. When he's had injuries they have occured in the areas that comprise 90% of the game itself..IE Head (eye), Hands (wrist). Torso, Legs and Feet.. It would have been great to see him DH till he hit the half century mark, but those nicks have taken their toll. Yaz did lace them up a year too long. Those old gamers drug the bat up there until they themselves saw the writing on the wall.. They'd rather know themselves they cant do rather than being told so.. I think the Psych term is closure. They left all that was left on the field..Who knows, Maybe Paul has a Ted Williams, Stan Musial and Whitey Ford moment in September,puts the bat into the rack and says..."Its been great boys"...

BK59
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Thats just it. When he's had injuries they have occured in the areas that comprise 90% of the game itself..IE Head (eye), Hands (wrist). Torso, Legs and Feet.. It would have been great to see him DH till he hit the half century mark, but those nicks have taken their toll. Yaz did lace them up a year too long. Those old gamers drug the bat up there until they themselves saw the writing on the wall.. They'd rather know themselves they cant do rather than being told so.. I think the Psych term is closure. They left all that was left on the field..Who knows, Maybe Paul has a Ted Williams, Stan Musial and Whitey Ford moment in September,puts the bat into the rack and says..."Its been great boys"...

BK59
Klu, thanks for reminding of the wrist injury, how could I forget that.
One thing I remember about Yaz is that he made a radical change to his batting stance in his later years and it worked.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Prelate

As much as we all love Konerko for what he's done, I think even the most casual Sox fan can recognize his time has come. He'll either retire after this season or sign elsewhere because there's really no reason to keep him around anymore. His power numbers are way down, Dunn is the regular first baseman these days and he hasn't been anywhere close to his old self since the first half of last year when he just tore up the AL. If we're rebuilding, he's one guy who has to go. This is the wrong time for the Sox to be dwelling on the past. I just wish JR would get that message.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Klu, thanks for reminding of the wrist injury, how could I forget that.
One thing I remember about Yaz is that he made a radical change to his batting stance in his later years and it worked.
Yaz had support with the long ball that has elluded Paul these last couple of years. He was able to become a slapper using that Green Monster as target practice.. Too slow for Pensky's pole, no umph for right center field big fly, so he did what he knew what he could do to get on base.. Took a page out of Nellie Fox's book on hitting..

Unfortunately Paul doesnt have the same oppourtunity for that mulligan...

BK59
Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Scott Merkin Ventura said Konerko will play first again this year, maybe in Detroit. Was going to use him in Cleveland the other night, but ...

... Ventura said there "was a little something when he was running the bases. So, itís precautionary stuff more than anything."
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
If they were willing to let Frank Thomas walk then they better be willing to do the same to Paul Konerko.
+1 ...Besides the fact he cannot field, run or even hit for power anymore..!!