White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Buster Olney believes the Jake Peavy race will come down to the #RedSox and A's
I thought the A's pulled out. Did they have a change of heart or is this just spec?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I thought the A's pulled out. Did they have a change of heart or is this just spec?
He said it on his ESPN podcast today, when he was talking to a Red Sox beat writer.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Regular

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal1m
Sources: No current discussions between #STLCards and #WhiteSox on Peavy.

DAMN!!!

Bob Nightengale@BNightengale1m
The #Dbacks say they no longer have interest in #Whitesox starter Jake Peavy with Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill soon returning.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Speaking of the Yankees, Jeter is a pretty good comp for Beckham at SS. Personally, I want no part of that. We've been spoiled by good defensive SS for the last decade. A lot of fans take it for granted. Beckham and Jeter have both benefitted from PR machines inflating their defensive value over the years. Jeter has to be one of the worst defenders to ever win a gold glove.
This is probably the first time in quite a while that a player on the Sox has been accused of having been the recipient of a PR machine at work. That said, a quick look at some numbers says that Beckham was one of the better 2B in the AL last year. How much stock you put in defensive metrics is your call, of course, but going by Range Factor, only 2 players played 1,000 innings at 2B (approximately 70% of a team's innings) and had a better RF/9 than Gordon in 2012:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...fielding.shtml
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal1m
Sources: No current discussions between #STLCards and #WhiteSox on Peavy.

DAMN!!!

The #Dbacks say they no longer have interest in #Whitesox starter Jake Peavy with Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill soon returning.
Welp, we just gotta keep waiting.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Also, per @BiertempfelTrib, the White Sox asked for Taillon or Polanco for Rios. They were quickly told 'no' by Pirates

Travis Sawchik@Sawchik_Trib19m
The White Sox apparently have interest in a Dickerson (Altoona OF), so perhaps asking price will come down
If the Sox throw in Lindstrom with Rios and cash.....go get Polanco!!!

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
If the Sox throw in Lindstrom with Rios and cash.....go get Polanco!!!
I hope the Sox get Hanson & Josh Bell from the Pirates.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

@devbost The #RedSox and #STLCards still very much interested in Peavy.

Please deal Peavy to the Cards. I'd love to have Martinez and Wong on the Sox

Bud Norris was also scratched today.

Last edited by Fastball23; 07-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI Regular

Peavy isn't going to Pitt

Rich Smith@ALLsportsINTEL5m
MLB - A few reports out there that the Houston Astros are trading Bud Norris to the Pittsburgh Pirates, nothing official yet, will update
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is probably the first time in quite a while that a player on the Sox has been accused of having been the recipient of a PR machine at work. That said, a quick look at some numbers says that Beckham was one of the better 2B in the AL last year. How much stock you put in defensive metrics is your call, of course, but going by Range Factor, only 2 players played 1,000 innings at 2B (approximately 70% of a team's innings) and had a better RF/9 than Gordon in 2012:

That's interesting. I'm not a big believer in defensive metrics, but I'm surprised he grades well.

Hawk is nothing but a PR machine. The majority of head shakers you hear from Sox fans are a direct result of Hawk. Jeter is a Yankee, so he had the national guys calling him a great defender while most everyone that watched a lot of baseball knew that was BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Regular

Joel Sherman@Joelsherman18s
Execs spoken to say request for Peavy remains high - top-50 prospect in 3-4-plyr package - for injury-prone plyr with about $20M owed

Joel Sherman@Joelsherman13m
Sense is still Peavy does go and in order most likely landing spots are 1) #Cardinals 2) #Redsox 3) #Athletics
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

I don't see the point in moving Beckham to SS even short-term if Ramirez is traded. Why weaken your team at two positions up the middle? It doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

I'm no fan of Ramirez, but to move him I'd have to get a SS back one way or another. Beckham catches what he gets to and is finally hitting the ball. Leave him alone.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I don't see the point in moving Beckham to SS even short-term if Ramirez is traded. Why weaken your team at two positions up the middle? It doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

I'm no fan of Ramirez, but to move him I'd have to get a SS back one way or another. Beckham catches what he gets to and is finally hitting the ball. Leave him alone.
If you trade Ramirez, you trade him to get the best possible return. That may or may not include a SS. If Ramirez is moved by himself or in package deal with Peavy that nets a great return without a SS, you wouldn't pull the trigger? Beckham moving to SS in the grand scheme of things, should be a very minor concern.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

David Kaplan @thekapman
Sounds like White Sox and Pirates are getting close on a deal for Alex Rios. Cash being worked on. Not sure if they can find a middle ground
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
Well at this point, what difference does it make how poorly the Sox play the rest of the 2013 season? They're 23 games under .500 with still 75 or so more to play, they would have to go 43-18 (.704 winning percentage or the equivalent of going 114-48 over the course of a full season) just to have a winning season this year.

I would assume the Sox will be able to find someone making the Major League minimum salary who could hit for a .650 OPS and commit 17 errors at SS in a pinch
Closed Thread