White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBandit View Post
Semien looks pretty good at short this season. Why isn't he in AAA yet?
He's at an age appropriate level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Can somebody explain why they think Beckham can play SS? He's already got limited range at second and his arm doesn't really translate.
I think he can play SS in in the interim but he's not a long term solution at the position.

Frankly, can he be worse than Alexei has been this season?

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think he can play SS in in the interim but he's not a long term solution at the position.

Frankly, can he be worse than Alexei has been this season?
Yes, he can absolutely be worse than Ramirez. Ramirez still gets to balls that Gordon wouldn't be within 3 feet of. Alexei's errors are way up, but he's still an elite defender. Beckham is a statue at second. He has no range. I wouldn't be comfortable sending a young staff out there knowing they have a guy stuck in the mud at the most important position on the field.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien
Can confirm. According to a source familiar with the situation, Jake Peavy will not start tonight for the White Sox.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien
Can confirm. According to a source familiar with the situation, Jake Peavy will not start tonight for the White Sox.
Can't wait for the post game over-reaction on Rienzo -- good or bad.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Yes, he can absolutely be worse than Ramirez. Ramirez still gets to balls that Gordon wouldn't be within 3 feet of. Alexei's errors are way up, but he's still an elite defender. Beckham is a statue at second. He has no range. I wouldn't be comfortable sending a young staff out there knowing they have a guy stuck in the mud at the most important position on the field.
Beckham is by no means a statue at second. Would he be a great shortstop? No, but he is a well above average defensively at second.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Nobody gives out contracts with the assumption that the player will be hurt. Peavy would have received a better deal had he gone in the open market.
Actually, Peavy's existing contract has an option in 2015 for $16 Mil if he pitches 400 innings in 13-14. He obviously won't make it after being out this year. Lucky for White Sox or he would have a real tough contract to unload.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th and Shields View Post
Beckham is by no means a statue at second. Would he be a great shortstop? No, but he is a well above average defensively at second.
He makes the routine plays and is consistent in that regard, but I think his lateral range is pretty limited. That's just what my untrained eyes see.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th and Shields View Post
He really isn't well above average at second. He's developed this reputation, partially a creation of Hawk, with no real evidence to back it. He's good defensively, but he's not "well above average" because he doesn't have any range. He's pretty much a vacuum though and is tremendous at turning double plays.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
I predict Peavy & Ramirez will be traded to the Cards for Martinez, Kelly, Adams and Wong
We are not getting that type of return for Peavy and Ramirez unless we pick up 70%-80 of their remaining contracts. And I don't see the Sox wanting to pick up that much, if any money. Which is stupid not to do if you get a return like that.

Even still I don't see the Cards sending 3 top prospects in a deal to us.....it's just not the way they operate.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
He makes the routine plays and is consistent in that regard, but I think his lateral range is pretty limited. That's just what my untrained eyes see.
Yes, but playing SS and playing 2B are different ranges of motion.

He played SS all 3 years at Georgia and 45 of his 67 games in the minors, so it's not like we're moving a life-long 2B to SS.

Again, the rest of the season is a better time than any to find out, especially since he'll get a nice raise on his $2.9M salary in arb2 this offseason, and the Sox will need to decide if he's part of the core moving forward.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI Regular

Also, per @BiertempfelTrib, the White Sox asked for Taillon or Polanco for Rios. They were quickly told 'no' by Pirates

Travis Sawchik@Sawchik_Trib19m
The White Sox apparently have interest in a Dickerson (Altoona OF), so perhaps asking price will come down
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
He played SS all 3 years at Georgia and 45 of his 67 games in the minors, so it's not like we're moving a life-long 2B to SS.
A lot of guys who have no business playing SS in the Majors play it in college and other ranks because guys generally good enough to make the Majors are usually the best players on their team. Mark Teixeira played SS at Georgia Tech.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
A lot of guys who have no business playing SS in the Majors play it in college and other ranks because guys generally good enough to make the Majors are usually the best players on their team. Mark Teixeira played SS at Georgia Tech.
Speaking of the Yankees, Jeter is a pretty good comp for Beckham at SS. Personally, I want no part of that. We've been spoiled by good defensive SS for the last decade. A lot of fans take it for granted. Beckham and Jeter have both benefitted from PR machines inflating their defensive value over the years. Jeter has to be one of the worst defenders to ever win a gold glove.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Regular

Buster Olney believes the Jake Peavy race will come down to the #RedSox and A's
Closed Thread