White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
From what I read yesterday the Sox are going to re-tool around the pitching staff so it make sense to keep Jake. I'm a Jake fan and am going to get down on my knees and pray that Jake can stay healthy.
As much as I love Jake, this isn't about building around the pitching staff. It's about loading up on future pieces in a farm system that's been sorely neglected for too long. Teams are going young now and the Sox don't have enough young talent to compete in today's game. The veterans are underachieving and are showing no signs of turning it around. I'd rather get something for the player with the highest value. If we're rebuilding, you gotta give up some veteran talent.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
WSI Guru

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...69391543402496

Issue not money, but inferior prospects being offered back to the Sox.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
This is speculation, not a fact. I'd rather they gamble that it does than accept crappy offers for the sake of making a move to dump salary. One thing is for certain, Jake makes our staff much stronger when he's healthy and I'd rather we build around him than gamble on inferior prospects. Most prospects never see the majors.
That's exactly right, we're not desperate to trade him. So either someone pays up or don't even bother calling. We don't want some bull**** quantity over quality trade. The price has been named.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post

Then you keep him if you can't get decent return.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1m Remember: Rick Hahn is a shrewd negotiator. Was an agent. Did most of the White Sox's big deals. Tough to get a read on. Playing this well.

In Rick We Trust?
That is scary depending on the deals they are talking about.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m

So, if #WhiteSox are posturing with Peavy, they could be losing chance to make certain deals. Remains to be seen whether they will hold him.
By coming out and saying that they would hang on to him and "build around" other teams probably know that's bull****. Just like the Cubs said with Garza and then he was traded less then a week later.

If Peavy is on this team past Wednesday this stunts a rebuild process then is going to take 3-4 years anyways. The deadline is Wednesday so I'll reserve judgement until then.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
As much as I love Jake, this isn't about building around the pitching staff. It's about loading up on future pieces in a farm system that's been sorely neglected for too long. Teams are going young now and the Sox don't have enough young talent to compete in today's game. The veterans are underachieving and are showing no signs of turning it around. I'd rather get something for the player with the highest value. If we're rebuilding, you gotta give up some veteran talent.
Everyone understands that, but Jake is not one of the guys that's under-performing. You don't trade him just to dump salary and accept a bunch of C, C+, B- type of prospects.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
By coming out and saying that they would hang on to him and "build around" other teams probably know that's bull****. Just like the Cubs said with Garza and then he was traded less then a week later.

If Peavy is on this team past Wednesday this stunts a rebuild process then is going to take 3-4 years anyways. The deadline is Wednesday so I'll reserve judgement until then.
If he's dealt for a bunch of middling prospects likely to never make the bigs, or bullpen type guys, how the hell would that help, or speed up, our rebuild?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Everyone understands that, but Jake is not one of the guys that's under-performing. You don't trade him just to dump salary and accept a bunch of C, C+, B- type of prospects.
I never said he was underperforming. He's the one vet who's not and that's what I just made in my case.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I guess I should have said it in a different way, the pitching staff if fine, the rest of the club is to be re-tooled based on what I read.
They need players who actually get on base.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
If he's dealt for a bunch of middling prospects likely to never make the bigs, or bullpen type guys, how the hell would that help, or speed up, our rebuild?
I honestly believe that if the Sox gave Peavy and X number of $ to a team that some team will give a very good prospect(s) in return.

That's the sox starting point and then you go from there. Whether it's now or in the winter Peavy is an injury risk. He is what he is, cut bait, get what you can, and move on.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo
Arizona has been shopping Ian Kennedy and Jason Kubel, which wouldn't free enough $ to get Kevin Towers' fave Jake Peavy

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Re players under contract, Hahn said: "Certainly is no urgency to make a deal now." Hasn't been ordered 2 cut payroll. Trade must make sense

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan
Hahn said he's not under gun to trade player under contract next year (peavy) nor does he have orders from Reinsdorf to move salary.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales wouldn't address Peavy specifically, but he falls under that category. Still 45 1/2 hours left in trading deadline.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Apparently Rienzo was called up (see Fastball's post in Clubhouse). Somebody has to move, right?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post

I guess theoretically, you can just put Peavy on Waivers for cash. The Sox are looking for Cash + solid prospects. If anything this position they are taking now can open other team's eyes to the fact that they are going to have to pay Peavy - and the negotiation only starts there.

At lease the Sox got one trade done. The Sox have to realize they are not a competitive team without an offense though. I don't see how they plan on building around this pitching staff. The free agent market is expensive, competitive, and thin in the areas they are at their weakest.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Apparently Rienzo was called up (see Fastball's post in Clubhouse). Somebody has to move, right?
I'm still skeptical this move has happened. None of the white sox press are reporting it (yet), just some MLB Brazil twitter page

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Closed Thread