White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkosher View Post
If I were a rival GM I would ask the Sox to absorb as much as possible and give them a small return back. It is simple negotiation. Form all reports the offers out there are not that great for him so I doubt its an A propect even with the money. So you are looking at a range from B-C.
Well, luckily the Sox can say no to something like that. It's not like Hahn will be like, "Well. Crap. I have to do this. It's what this GM wants."
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkosher View Post
If I were a rival GM I would ask the Sox to absorb as much as possible and give them a small return back. It is simple negotiation. Form all reports the offers out there are not that great for him so I doubt its an A propect even with the money. So you are looking at a range from B-C.
You think a team with a chance to win will play games like that and risk getting better?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Would you rather the Sox eat less money or get better prospects?
Eating money is no skin off my back. And it's not like we'll take the savings and put it into free agents. And I certainly have no interest in them trading for more some costly, mediocre veterans to plug holes. Prospects, obviously.

I think they have to be willing to absorb some salary if they're serious about this.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
If Hahn thinks he can get a better haul for Peavy this offseason, then he should wait until then.
Other than if a prospect rich Yankee team were looking for a pitcher right now, I don't see how the market could be much better. Peavy has a long history of injury built up. Do this before something else creeps up. Money right now might be a good idea. Sox can build via free agency the next 2 seasons and try to net a great draft pick this coming year. Might even see one or two recent draft picks blossom in that time frame.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

We don't have to trade him today. We have until when Wednesday? I don't blame the Sox ask for a big return and kick in nothing. If you can get a team desperate enough then great. If not adjust accordingly Tuesday and Wednesday.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Eating money is no skin off my back. And it's not like we'll take the savings and put it into free agents. And I certainly have no interest in them trading for more some costly, mediocre veterans to plug holes. Prospects, obviously.

I think they have to be willing to absorb some salary if they're serious about this.
This.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
I only believe rumors from airport baggage claim areas.
LOL. I know, I know. This guy is legit though. He's a season ticket holder. I guess there was some kind of private auction to have lunch with JR in the Bard's Room last week. So, as of last Tuesday or Wed, the intent apparently is to only trade Peavy. We'll see how that pans out. It really does cement how involved JR is with personnel moves though.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 57m
White Sox haven't shown interest in eating any of Peavy's $ (close to $24M left). That & health were big issues for Atl, Bal, StL & even LA
Details

Hopefully this isn't true. This is not the time to play on-the-cheap.
Didn't Peavy give us a huge discount on that contract to stay here? And now other teams want us to eat part of that? I thought the contract was good because it was tradeable. Cheapskates.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
This.
+1.

The Sox don't have to do squat today, they have all day tomorrow and Tuesday. They are in the position of leverage and should ask for whatever they can get. THE SOX CAN ALWAYS TRADE PEAVY IN THE OFF SEASON TOO. If they come down a bit and accept some salary eating Tuesday afternoon, so be it. Until then, do what you gotta do.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalteroo View Post
+1.

The Sox don't have to do squat today, they have all day tomorrow and Tuesday. They are in the position of leverage and should ask for whatever they can get. THE SOX CAN ALWAYS TRADE PEAVY IN THE OFF SEASON TOO. If they come down a bit and accept some salary eating Tuesday afternoon, so be it. Until then, do what you gotta do.
Exactly! This is why I don't understand why anyone would be frustrated at the lack of moves.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

You don't have to trade Peavy this year, but I don't think the market is getting better in the offseason.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
WSI Personality

If you wait, you are rolling the dice with his health.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Buster Olney reporting on Cardinals-Braves game that Oakland might have some interest in Peavy. Interesting. I thought perhaps Atlanta with Hudson being out for the season.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:

The good news on this front is that of all the pieces likely to be moved, the Sox have very few truly bad contracts. Danks is currently the worst, but I doubt he's going anywhere, Alexei comes in after that, he's the only guy I'd prefer not to eat any of his money as I don't think he brings back much of a haul regardless. But Peavy, Rios, Lindstrom, etc. are all relatively short deals now that aren't terribly financially burdensome. Still some time to see what unfolds but I'd have no problem if the Sox elected to eat some of the money on these contracts if that proved to be the difference between getting good prospects and average ones. The Sox need talent desperately.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
If you wait, you are rolling the dice with his health.
It's a roll of the dice no matter what, it's not unrealistic to think he could start off 2014 as strong as he started this season and have a much higher value at that point, as there would be even less outstanding money owed.
Closed Thread