White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Randall Delgado would fit that last mold.
Indeed.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This attitude is exactly why we've got a 100 loss team. Bad moves abound and no one wants to rock the boat. "No, keep trying, we can't take the rebuild". But you can take another 90 year championship drought? Jesus.
Have to agree here.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
You have mentioned 100 losses quite often. How about a wager?
They're on pace for 96. A fire sale might easily bring 100. It would be a close bet. Hell, I think I'd take the 100 right now.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I mean starting this year. If the plan is really to take a 100 loss roster and add a few pieces for the illusion of competition, lucking in to a division with a no chance team every five year or so...then yeah, we're on that model. It sounds like they're looking around for now players instead of future core players. Which is not only a really bad idea, but it makes them look like complete morons.
I don't know, maybe we should wait and see what trades actually happen and what players the Sox get in return before determining the whole organization is clueless based on twitter rumors.

Maybe they'll turn out to be complete morons, but I'm going to wait for them to actually make some moves (or not make them) before I deliver that verdict.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
I don't know, maybe we should wait and see what trades actually happen and what players the Sox get in return before determining the whole organization is clueless based on twitter rumors.

Maybe they'll turn out to be complete morons, but I'm going to wait for them to actually make some moves (or not make them) before I deliver that verdict.

The organization isn't clueless because of twitter rumors, but the team's current level performance and other organizational issues as discussed in other threads (from lack of minor league talent to quality of gameday operations).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The organization isn't clueless because of twitter rumors, but the team's current level performance and other organizational issues as discussed in other threads (from lack of minor league talent to quality of gameday operations).
To delben's defense, let's see what trades net us this time around. I don't have much confidence, but I am still optimistic.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
This attitude is exactly why we've got a 100 loss team. Bad moves abound and no one wants to rock the boat. "No, keep trying, we can't take the rebuild". But you can take another 90 year championship drought? Jesus.
Hahn cannot be blamed for the problems he inherited. Since the trading period is just starting up, maybe we should wait and judge him 6 months from now. At least we would have an idea of what direction he is hoping to go. If he trades Rios for a great AA prospect, we will not know if it is a good trade for maybe 2-3 years. If you think this mess is a quick fix, you are dreaming. Don't judge media speculation as to what he is or will do. Wait for the actual trade to happen.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post

That is way too level headed of a thought process to have around here. It's much better to condemn a trade that hasn't happened based upon a random Twitter nugget.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Randall Delgado would fit that last mold.
Why not wait and give Hahn a chance to see what the Sox get before trying to read his mind and believing every negative article you read over the always believable internet. Hahn is the GM and I don't care about past decisions.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

I'm not going to give the guy that was happy thinking a lineup/defense that included players with no spot on a legit MLB bench like Viciedo and Flowers would compete in any capacity, any sort of slack. The only way I can rationalize that is that he was purposely trying to tank the team so he could rebuild. If that's not the case, then he's easily the worst general manager in baseball, probably in the last few decades. It's a special kind of baseball ineptitude to see players missing so many pieces and thinking something could happen. I cannot think of a single instance in the last 30 years where players (plural!) were so highly touted by an organization when they were so obviously lacking in ability, both to scouts and other execs as well as with pretty much any fan with eyes.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm not going to give the guy that was happy thinking a lineup/defense that included players with no spot on a legit MLB bench like Viciedo and Flowers would compete in any capacity, any sort of slack. The only way I can rationalize that is that he was purposely trying to tank the team so he could rebuild. If that's not the case, then he's easily the worst general manager in baseball, probably in the last few decades. It's a special kind of baseball ineptitude to see players missing so many pieces and thinking something could happen. I cannot think of a single instance in the last 30 years where players (plural!) were so highly touted by an organization when they were so obviously lacking in ability, both to scouts and other execs as well as with pretty much any fan with eyes.
Considering you thought Rondon was going to be a dominating closer and the Tigers would set a record for the best record of all time( they could tie if they go 65-5), and your well known call about DRose, ripping anyone's player judgement is something you really shouldn't do.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN2h
Diamondbacks are among the teams talking about Jake Peavy, and CWS have had scouts on hand at Arizona games; they've seen Randall Delgado.
I'm for trading Peavy. As far as 100 losses, it's possible by I think it will be 95 even selling off a few more guys.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Considering you thought Rondon was going to be a dominating closer and the Tigers would set a record for the best record of all time( they could tie if they go 65-5), and your well known call about DRose, ripping anyone's player judgement is something you really shouldn't do.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I did not think the Tigers WOULD set the record, I said they COULD. I didn't say Rondon WOULD be a dominating closer either or that he was one of the greatest prospects in the game (which you've also accused me of). How many times do I have to correct you. This is getting to be slander.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Stop putting words in my mouth. I did not think the Tigers WOULD set the record, I said they COULD. I didn't say Rondon WOULD be a dominating closer either or that he was one of the greatest prospects in the game (which you've also accused me of). How many times do I have to correct you. This is getting to be slander.
Yes, and you were just as wrong as anyone who thought the Sox would contend. You went on and on about Rondon. You constantly tell everyone what scouts say but totally ignored what they said when the Tigers said last winter Rondon would be their closer. They said he could throw one pitch for a strike and would be a disaster. Guess what, he throws one pitch for a strike. He also has packed on 85 pounds since he was signed 4 years ago.

Again, why don't you bet me about the 100 losses you thin the Sox will have this year?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, and you were just as wrong as anyone who thought the Sox would contend. You went on and on about Rondon. You constantly tell everyone what scouts say but totally ignored what they said when the Tigers said last winter Rondon would be their closer. They said he could throw one pitch for a strike and would be a disaster. Guess what, he throws one pitch for a strike. He also has packed on 85 pounds since he was signed 4 years ago.

Again, why don't you bet me about the 100 losses you thin the Sox will have this year?
I'm not going to act like I don't think Rondon will eventually be a good closer, his stuff is top notch for a reliever. He does just need to harness it. But my point (which you missed) was that he was one option at closer, the other being easily trading for an elite one as necessary as they have the assets to do so at any point. My point on how good the Tigers could be wasn't to state that they would win 117 games, it was that they could win that many, and we could lose 100 (which now seems likely), so any talk of competing was something that should be laughed at heartily.

I don't have a problem doing bets on here, but I really don't want to bet on the White Sox losing, even if I know they will. It would feel wrong.