White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
My two favorite places to visit in my youth, Riverview and Comiskey Park are both gone. I keep the memories of them alive in my heart and mind.
You and me both and may I add Chicago Stadium to the list.

And this place, believe it not, was the best place to watch the Bears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-01-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great memories. I understood that its time was up when it was replaced but it was still sad. As a kid (hell, as an adult) I loved to prowl through the park. Like an old castle it was full of remote corners, dark turrets, catacombs and other forgotten crannies that fascinated me.

Little things: underneath the roof of the upper deck the wiring for the light towers were exposed cables hanging from ceramic insulators; behind the left-field seats the big, open arches let a breeze come through from Armour Square Park; standing on the ramps next to the scoreboard the launching of the fireworks could be heard right behind you (Foom! Foom! Foom! A couple seconds later were concussive BoomBoom! Boom!); Nancy Faust's organ in the upper deck behind third base. It was like a piano bar with people standing around it giving her requests.

I could go on. I miss the old joint but I'm glad the Sox stayed in the neighborhood.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Great memories. I understood that its time was up when it was replaced but it was still sad. As a kid (hell, as an adult) I loved to prowl through the park. Like an old castle it was full of remote corners, dark turrets, catacombs and other forgotten crannies that fascinated me.

Little things: underneath the roof of the upper deck the wiring for the light towers were exposed cables hanging from ceramic insulators; behind the left-field seats the big, open arches let a breeze come through from Armour Square Park; standing on the ramps next to the scoreboard the launching of the fireworks could be heard right behind you (Foom! Foom! Foom! A couple seconds later were concussive BoomBoom! Boom!); Nancy Faust's organ in the upper deck behind third base. It was like a piano bar with people standing around it giving her requests.

I could go on. I miss the old joint but I'm glad the Sox stayed in the neighborhood.
Good stuff!
Another tidbit was that the commissaries in the lower deck concourse were originally bottleing plants for White Sox Orange Crush.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Comiskey from the Sporting News.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

These have been posted before but they bear repeating:

This video is one of three posted on YouTube by "brokertothestars."
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post

Thank you for these wonderful words which so eloquently described our old ballpark. Happy Birthday, Old Comiskey Park! Yes, it was old and falling apart - but I loved Old Comiskey Park just the same. I spent most of my childhood there and especially loved it when the fireworks went off.

And I still get teary-eyed every time I watch this video:

October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Another good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9wYd-hZwdk
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I disagree, you were SO much closer to the action at the old park. There are very few seats at the new stadium that can compare to an average seat at the old one. I'd rather watch on TV than sit in the upper deck and even the lower bowl seats can seem distant if you are towards the rear.

As for the dreams, I've had them too. In mine, it is as if the building were never torn down but it has gone unattended. Completely covered in vegetation and moss. In one dream, there was a restaurant built into the walls that served Italian beef and you could look out at the ruins. We used to always stop at Al's for a sandwich and fries before going to the game when I was a kid.
The lower deck at the new park is superior to the lower deck at the old park overall. The upper deck in the old park was closer, and that detracted from the quality of the lower deck seats. It wasn't just the beams supporting the upper deck that was the problem. As far out as the upper deck stretch, it obstructed the view of the deeper lower deck seats. Fly balls disappeared because of their trajectory. That it why, as they say, they don't build 'em like that anymore. The same was true, to an extent, deeper in the upper deck. I had upper deck seats for a game in the mid 1970s where everything in foul territory behind the catcher was obstructed, and the seats were between home and first. Not only couldn't you see a foul ball behind home plate, you couldn't see if the catcher was going after it.

I grew up with Old Comiskey being my ballpark standard. I loved going to games there. When I was in college studying photojournalism, I got passes to do work from the photo boxes down the line (thank you, Don Unferth). I was all over the park for crowded openers and for Sunday's in September when there was a fire barrel in the centerfield bullpen and the Bears game from radios echoing off empty seats. I loved the old park. When I moved out to Arizona in 1979 and started going to newer parks regularly, I saw that there were better places to watch games (sort of a Plato's cave thing). I would return to Chicago and the flaws in the old park would be more obvious.

I miss it, but not because it was a better place to watch a baseball game.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Location: Yes in Ranhco Sahuarita, AZ...(WAS near the home of White Sox spring training baseball)
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
And the 23rd anniversary of Andy Hawkins' no-hitter, which he lost 4-0. Every time some Yankee fan starts spouting off, I remind them of that game.

Happy Birthday to "The Baseball Palace of the World".
I was there at that game and a great way to end all the Yankee teams that came to the park since it opened up!! Glad I have the "Earth, Wind and Fire" game on tape....
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Comiskey's last row in the upper deck was closer to the field than the Cell's first row in the upper deck.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The lower deck at the new park is superior to the lower deck at the old park overall. The upper deck in the old park was closer, and that detracted from the quality of the lower deck seats. It wasn't just the beams supporting the upper deck that was the problem. As far out as the upper deck stretch, it obstructed the view of the deeper lower deck seats. Fly balls disappeared because of their trajectory. That it why, as they say, they don't build 'em like that anymore. The same was true, to an extent, deeper in the upper deck. I had upper deck seats for a game in the mid 1970s where everything in foul territory behind the catcher was obstructed, and the seats were between home and first. Not only couldn't you see a foul ball behind home plate, you couldn't see if the catcher was going after it.

I grew up with Old Comiskey being my ballpark standard. I loved going to games there. When I was in college studying photojournalism, I got passes to do work from the photo boxes down the line (thank you, Don Unferth). I was all over the park for crowded openers and for Sunday's in September when there was a fire barrel in the centerfield bullpen and the Bears game from radios echoing off empty seats. I loved the old park. When I moved out to Arizona in 1979 and started going to newer parks regularly, I saw that there were better places to watch games (sort of a Plato's cave thing). I would return to Chicago and the flaws in the old park would be more obvious.

I miss it, but not because it was a better place to watch a baseball game.
Every ballpark built before Dodger Stadium and Candlestick Park both built in the early 60s, had the same problem with the girders and sightlines, that's the way they built ballparks in the early 20th century.
I read a book on Comiskey Park that Zachary Davis who designed Comiskey told Charles Comiskey that he could build a park without girders much like todays parks but the cost would have been 300,000 dollars more, Comiskey nixed the idea because of the cost and he also thought that the upper deck would be too far away from the action.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I disagree, you were SO much closer to the action at the old park. There are very few seats at the new stadium that can compare to an average seat at the old one. I'd rather watch on TV than sit in the upper deck and even the lower bowl seats can seem distant if you are towards the rear.
I was only at the old park a few times, but there were plenty of bad seats there. The good seats were great, but there were lots of obstructed views.

I sat in a seat once down in the LF corner that pretty much just faced other seats. I also sat in the lower deck once pretty close to home plate, but back near the last row and I could not see any ball that was hit high in the air because the upper deck was obstructing my view.

It was a great place with great history and great memories. It'll always have a special place in the hearts of Sox fans old enough to remember it. But, lets' not sugar coat everything about the old park.

It's time had come. My only regret is that JR and Co. really messed up a chance of building a new park with character and a better layout.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Every ballpark built before Dodger Stadium and Candlestick Park both built in the early 60s, had the same problem with the girders and sightlines, that's the way they built ballparks in the early 20th century.
I read a book on Comiskey Park that Zachary Davis who designed Comiskey told Charles Comiskey that he could build a park without girders much like todays parks but the cost would have been 300,000 dollars more, Comiskey nixed the idea because of the cost and he also thought that the upper deck would be too far away from the action.
I read the same thing about the design of the old park. Of course, when you were at the old park, if you looked closely, you could see where the original upper deck ended. It didn't go far down the lines. The outfield wasn't double-decked. So it wasn't an extra $30K (pre World War I money) for the upper deck we remember, but an extra $30K for just the upper deck behind home plate. Most of the upper deck was added in the 1920s, not because the White Sox were especially popular, but because they needed more seats for people coming to see the Yankees and Babe Ruth, or vice versa. The result of the upper deck behind home plate was that there were some really bad seats behind home plate. That was true everywhere until Kansas City built a baseball only park. In the last season of County stadium in Milwaukee, I found seats behind home plate where you couldn't even see home plate And, of course, just about any ball hit in the air would disappear in the ceiling.

If you bring the upper deck closer to the field, you diminish the quality of a considerable number of seats in the lower deck. That really is most true for baseball. When architects started seriously designing baseball-only ballparks in the 1970s, the upper decks were moved farther from the field.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

I grew up about a mile and a half west of the park .. we would ride our bikes there until we got to be in our teens .. one of the earliest memories that i have is being with my dad up by the arches .. i had my first date there at 14 (paid with Kennedy half dollars) .. my first kiss .. my first fight .. i met my wife there .. i really can't recall a bad memory of being at Comiskey .. i will always love that place and i think that it still lives on inside some of us..