White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Hot Stove, Summer Edition: Targeting prospects on other teams

Unless things improve rapidly and significantly, the Sox are destined for a fire sale.

What prospects, in other organizations that might have a need for one or more of our veterans, are realistic targets for Hahn to acquire, in areas of need?

Thought this would make for an interesting diversion.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

The Orioles need starting pitching badly. If Peavy comes back before the deadline (doubtful but possible), we might be able to get an injured Dylan Bundy, or if we're lucky a Kevin Gausman (Peavy would need to be back early and pitching lights out).

Unless we're willing to trade a young stud (like Sale or Reed), there really isn't an obvious match to a team with prospects worth mentioning. At least not yet. Our only other chip (Rios) is more expensive than guys who are likely to be out there at the deadline, which hurts our chances of dealing him for anything but pennies on the dollar.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

How about the prospects that the Mets obtained in the R.A. Dickey trade: catcher Travis d'Arnaud and pitcher Noah Syndergaard? The Mets are said to be interested in Rios. I wonder if either would be available in a deal?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
WSI Personality

If Dunn, Konerko and the Tank would of produced this year, we would not be in last place. We have one of the worse offenses because our middle of the order hasn't hit. I would like to think that Dunn, Konerko and the Tank won't be on the 2014 White Sox. If you can replace those 3 guys without destroying the pitching staff we have, we can contend in 2014. I can't believe the White Sox/Hahn are going to a 5 year rebuilding plan like some other teams are claiming to do. Bill Veeck once said in one of his books: "The future is now, 5 year plans usually lead to new 5 year plans". I would suspect the White Sox will try to replace their middle of the order through free agent signings and a trade or two.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
How about the prospects that the Mets obtained in the R.A. Dickey trade: catcher Travis d'Arnaud and pitcher Noah Syndergaard? The Mets are said to be interested in Rios. I wonder if either would be available in a deal?
The Mets are 27-40, 12.5 games out of first. They're not trading their marquee prospects for an aging outfielder due a lot of money when they're not going to contend in the timeframe they'd have him.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If Dunn, Konerko and the Tank would of produced this year, we would not be in last place. We have one of the worse offenses because our middle of the order hasn't hit. I would like to think that Dunn, Konerko and the Tank won't be on the 2014 White Sox. If you can replace those 3 guys without destroying the pitching staff we have, we can contend in 2014. I can't believe the White Sox/Hahn are going to a 5 year rebuilding plan like some other teams are claiming to do. Bill Veeck once said in one of his books: "The future is now, 5 year plans usually lead to new 5 year plans". I would suspect the White Sox will try to replace their middle of the order through free agent signings and a trade or two.
You can't replace your 3, 4, and 5 guys simply because you have to/don't want to rebuild. Replacing those spots with quality takes time. What, are we going to hand out three $15 - 20 million per year contracts in free agency? Are there even three guys in free agency next offseason to fit the bill?

We aren't trading for a core guy that's producing now. We don't have the marquee prospects to do that.

We've gotta develop these guys. It's going to take a while.

edit: I mentioned those spots in the lineup because Rios is leaving in a year (plus he'll probably regress more next year).

Last edited by blandman; 06-19-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Mets are 27-40, 12.5 games out of first. They're not trading their marquee prospects for an aging outfielder due a lot of money when they're not going to contend in the timeframe they'd have him.
I believe this to be dead on.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Personality

blandman: Sign free agent Kendrys Morales after this season and trade for one of the 3 outfielders LA is trying to trade: Crawford, Kemp or Ethier and plug them into our lineup next year and I'll take my chances. The money for Konerko, Floyd and Thornton will be off the books for 2014. (Assuming Thornton won't be here in 2014) The White Sox will have the money to sign/trade for the players I mentioned. Also, its time to bring up Josh Phegley and see if he fits into our future.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
blandman: Sign free agent Kendrys Morales after this season and trade for one of the 3 outfielders LA is trying to trade: Crawford, Kemp or Ethier and plug them into our lineup next year and I'll take my chances. The money for Konerko, Floyd and Thornton will be off the books for 2014. (Assuming Thornton won't be here in 2014) The White Sox will have the money to sign/trade for the players I mentioned. Also, its time to bring up Josh Phegley and see if he fits into our future.
Kendrys Morales is intriguing, but ultimately he's over 30 now and has both regressed and been susceptible to injuries. He's probably going to get a lot more money and years than he's worth.

Crawford and Ethier are no longer players you build around. Kemp might still be, but he would cost 2 more marquee prospects than we have. And he's probably not worth it.

Josh Phegley is garbage. There's a reason we haven't called him up. He's got value to a team just looking at numbers. His swing isn't good enough; it doesn't project to show power at the major league level. Calling him up would bring that to light.

EDIT: Taking a closer look at Morales' numbers, STAY FAR AWAY. Since his "breakout" in 2009 with a .569 slugging percentage, he's regressed every year (including the next season before he was injured). This year it's at .436. Looking at where it was before that break out year...it seems more likely to be an aberration. He was never really any good, he just had a singular good season.

Last edited by blandman; 06-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
EDIT: Taking a closer look at Morales' numbers, STAY FAR AWAY. Since his "breakout" in 2009 with a .569 slugging percentage, he's regressed every year (including the next season before he was injured). This year it's at .436. Looking at where it was before that break out year...it seems more likely to be an aberration. He was never really any good, he just had a singular good season.
.277 8HRs 37 RBI and 18 doubles so far this season is not shabby production by any means. He also put together a pretty decent 2012 and if his 2013 holds the course, it will be improved on what he did last year. It isn't gaudy numbers but certainly better than anything we are getting in our lineup right now. I also like the fact that he is a switch hitter which is another thing to factor into his value as a player. He also is a career .292 hitter with RISP and lord knows the Sox could use hitters like that. If he could be had at a reasonable contract, I would definitely be interested in Morales as a stopgap 1B or DH.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Josh Phegley is garbage. There's a reason we haven't called him up. He's got value to a team just looking at numbers. His swing isn't good enough; it doesn't project to show power at the major league level. Calling him up would bring that to light.
Ridiculous. Calling a player, "garbage" without having seen him play nor giving him a chance at the major league level is just that, "garbage".

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
.277 8HRs 37 RBI and 18 doubles so far this season is not shabby production by any means. He also put together a pretty decent 2012 and if his 2013 holds the course, it will be improved on what he did last year. It isn't gaudy numbers but certainly better than anything we are getting in our lineup right now. I also like the fact that he is a switch hitter which is another thing to factor into his value as a player. He also is a career .292 hitter with RISP and lord knows the Sox could use hitters like that. If he could be had at a reasonable contract, I would definitely be interested in Morales as a stopgap 1B or DH.
Also, who cares if his swing doesn't project to show power. We don't need any more power hitters, we need guys who can hit, period. I doubt the Sox would turn away a .280 hitting slap hitter at this point.

Maybe be too soon for Phegley. Even considering him is yet another tell that Hahn badly neglected the catcher position this offseason.

Looks like Miguel Olivo could be available, as he walked out on the Marlins this week. Dude's not a average hitter at this point, but anything would be an improvement on Flowers.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Looks like Miguel Olivo could be available, as he walked out on the Marlins this week. Dude's not a average hitter at this point, but anything would be an improvement on Flowers.
No, it wouldn't.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/pl...ds%5B7028%5D=1
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You can't replace your 3, 4, and 5 guys simply because you have to/don't want to rebuild.

edit: I mentioned those spots in the lineup because Rios is leaving in a year (plus he'll probably regress more next year).
No offense, but that makes no sense. How can you say players who seemingly can't produce can't be replaced? Rios is the only decent hitter in the lineup, but you are predicting that Viciedo, Dunn and whoever will replace Konerko will hit well enough to bump Rios out of the middle of the order?! You are the most optimistic pessismist I've ever seen.

I recall people saying in 2004, how can the Sox offense replace the production of Ordonez and Lee? Except in that case those were two guys who were damn fine hitters...and they were still wrong.

Last edited by TheVulture; 06-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
That would still make him far and away the second best hitter on this team.