White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Ditch interleague play?
Yes 29 48.33%
No 31 51.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I like interleague play and hope MLB keeps it. Besides, with an odd number of teams in each league, it can't be ditched.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't have strong feelings either way.

I feel much more strongly that the NL needs to adopt the DH.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Put Milwaukee in a division in the A.L. with the Sox and I dont care what the schedule looks like. (Yea I do like Miller Park and going up there to watch Sox games)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm with the guy who complained about the unbalanced schedules. For every matchup like BOS/NYY or LAD/SF, there are a half dozen matchups that are complete snoozefests. Interleague at least shakes things up, and the new format does indeed move away from the "natural rival" series that everybody seems to have grown tired of.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would love to see interleague play go far, far away. That would mean getting rid of a couple of teams, sending Houston back to the NL or perhaps sending Milwaukee back to the AL. I would be OK with the Brewers in the AL once again.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
WSI High Priest

My preference would be to get rid of the two leagues. I don't like it that teams that compete for the same thing playing totally different schedules.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Money wise, it's good. Getting the Yankees to cities like St. Louis, Cincinnati and Los Angeles (not Anaheim) and the Cardinals and Cubs to cities like Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas are good for the fans and good for the owners.

As for tradition, interleague play has blurred it but as long as the AL has the DH, the fans will be treated to a uniqueness of having different rules within that sport based on the location of the game for the World Series. Some people don't like it, but I do.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
What bothers me more than interleague play is the lack of intra-league play outside of your own division. interleague is partially the cause, but also adding more intradivisional games was a poor idea.
I like interleague play and I don't want it to go away. But, I agree that I don't like how the intra-league games outside the division has been greatly reduced. I could do without the 18 games a year each vs. the Indians, Royals, Twins and Tigers as a way to get more games vs. the AL East and West.

Regardless of what people think about interleague play, it's here to stay. There is no way in hell MLB will ever get rid of it. What's more likely is that they'll get rid of the AL and NL altogether - which I think would be terrible.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

I would rather see the White Sox play the Giants than the A's. I really hate the A's. They play in a crappy, unfriendly ballpark with the most abusive fans in baseball. I should write a letter to A's management telling them why I will never go back after this season. But I digress.

Disband two teams, perhaps the A's and Marlins. Or maybe the A's and the Twins and move a National League team to the American League, and you can ditch interleague play. The only way it wouldn't supremely anger Brewers fans to put Milwaukee back in the American League is if the AL got rid of the DH. You have to realign the leagues unless you want to give a team in each league three or four days off at a time six or seven times a year.

Moving the Astros to the American League assures that MLB won't drop interleague play.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Another of Bud's many failed ideas.

It's fun every once in a while, but this year with the Sox/Cubs series being all on weekdays, and interleague all year between teams nobody wants to see play each other, it seems much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Moving the Astros to the American League assures that MLB won't drop interleague play.
That's easy, move the Astros back to the NL where they belong, where their fans want to be, and where they would be had Bud not twisted their arms and gangstered them in to AL as a condition of the club sale. Not to mention his conflict of interest with prime league-switching candidate, Milwaukee.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI Personality

I wish they would expand it so that we play every team every year like the NBA (and NHL now? I'm not sure if they finally did that yet?). I don't understand how anyone enjoys watching us play Cleveland, Minnesota, KC, and Detroit pretty much every other week as opposed to seeing the rest of the league.

And for fans in towns outside of Chicago, New York, and LAAAAA, it would be nice to actually have a chance to see any team in the league in person at least every other year at your home town park.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Another of Bud's many failed ideas.

It's fun every once in a while, but this year with the Sox/Cubs series being all on weekdays, and interleague all year between teams nobody wants to see play each other, it seems much worse.
Ignoring the obvious hatred for Bud there, the Sox/Cubs games are still much more popular than a random ass Monday game against the Royals. The draw as well if not better than regular weekday games at a wildly inflated price point.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I've wanted it gone for years, but that will never happen. It creates inequities in the schedule that make it more trouble than it's worth, IMO.
The real inequities are in the scheduling of the intra-league games. Nineteen games against your own division compared to six against the other divisions? Makes the WC and seeding a joke.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Maybe its just me but it appears attendance overall is down. MLB has to do something to fix it. Eliminating inter-league play completely is a mistake. I would rather they go this route:

-NL adopt DH (league needs universal rules plus pitcher safety in regards to contracts)
-Add 2 teams
-Have 2 8-team divisions in each league based on geography (ex AL-1: Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cards, Royals, Reds, Indians)
-Scheduling- You play the other divisions equilavent from previous season 6 times (all the last place teams, all the 1st place etc etc) you play the other division's teams in your league 3 times, the rest are against your division. RIVALRIES BUILD INTEREST AND MONEY not to mention having such close traveling as often will increase attendance due to visiting fans.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
-Add 2 teams
I wish I had that image doublem23 uses. It'd be so perfect here.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it.