White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Ditch interleague play?
Yes 29 48.33%
No 31 51.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Time to ditch interleague play?

Personally, this is the way I feel. It isn't 1997 anymore. No one needs or wants to see the Sox play the Mets unless it's late October. The novelty is completely gone. And it took the novelty of the All-Star Game and in some ways the World Series with it when it left. I was thinking about how particularly interesting and suspenseful the Stanley Cup Final is this year because the Hawks and Bruins never met during the season and had no common opponents, so it was almost impossible to predict, and it occurred to me that the World Series used to have this quality every year. Maybe you keep the Crosstown games, maybe you don't. But it'll be a long, long time before Sox Park is sold out to see a matchup with, say, the Padres. Want even leagues? Goodbye Marlins, Goodbye Rays. Florida doesn't deserve baseball.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Absolutely not.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Absolutely not.
Any particular reason? I honestly can't think of a single good thing about it in 2013 aside from the crosstown-type games.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
Any particular reason? I honestly can't think of a single good thing about it in 2013 aside from the crosstown-type games.
Because, as a fan of baseball, I want to watch my team play against all of the best players in the game regardless of whether we're in the WS or not. I'd be pissed as a fan of baseball if I never get to see, say, Clayton Kershaw pitching against the Sox because they aren't both in the WS.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

With the AL & NL each having 15 teams now, the only way to ditch interleague play would be to have a team in each league idle for 3 or 4 days at all times during the season.

Also, with the way the Sox are hitting this year, what's the difference between seeing Clayton Kershaw or Lucas Harrell pitch against them?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Personally, this is the way I feel. It isn't 1997 anymore. No one needs or wants to see the Sox play the Mets unless it's late October. The novelty is completely gone. And it took the novelty of the All-Star Game and in some ways the World Series with it when it left. I was thinking about how particularly interesting and suspenseful the Stanley Cup Final is this year because the Hawks and Bruins never met during the season and had no common opponents, so it was almost impossible to predict, and it occurred to me that the World Series used to have this quality every year. Maybe you keep the Crosstown games, maybe you don't. But it'll be a long, long time before Sox Park is sold out to see a matchup with, say, the Padres. Want even leagues? Goodbye Marlins, Goodbye Rays. Florida doesn't deserve baseball.
Shhh don't give Bettman any ideas.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM
WSI Guru

I've wanted it gone for years, but that will never happen. It creates inequities in the schedule that make it more trouble than it's worth, IMO.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I'd like it to go away, but I've accepted that it never will. Having it doesn't hinder my enjoyment in any way.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

I wouldn't mind if it became a recurring thing like the Olympics and was used every two or three years, with teams playing only their league in between.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

I never wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-17-2013, 03:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

No but I would do the cross town series every other yr

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
I was thinking about how particularly interesting and suspenseful the Stanley Cup Final is this year because the Hawks and Bruins never met during the season and had no common opponents, so it was almost impossible to predict
Do you recall the Lockout? This is why this year, unlike a normal year, there was no interconference games. Had this been a full season, there might have been one or two Hawks/Buins games (I don't have the original schedule to look up), not to mention common opponents.

All hail The Rick
Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
WSI Prelate

What bothers me more than interleague play is the lack of intra-league play outside of your own division. interleague is partially the cause, but also adding more intradivisional games was a poor idea.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM
WSI Personality

Yes, I want it to go away. Would be nice for the broadcast blackout rules to go away as well. I'm not sure either one will in my lifetime.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
Yes, I want it to go away. Would be nice for the broadcast blackout rules to go away as well. I'm not sure either one will in my lifetime.

Yes, yes, yes. That is the single most annoying thing about MLB in my opinion. Since I've moved out west there are still times when I can't watch a Sox game on MLB.tv because I'm "in the broadcast zone." What a crock.

Anyway, back to the topic, I have mixed feelings because I sure do get tired of seeing the Sox play the Indians, Royals, Twins, and Tigers so it is nice when we go to different ballparks and have oddball matchups with teams.