White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hawk is no Santo but he is also no Hawk any more. His constant usage of "Stretch" and "just missed it" is getting as old as he is. And while I realize he has to be tactful when calling games, he doesn't have to insult our intelligence with BS.

Stone Poney can go, too. I've seen eels with better personalities.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
Hawk is no Santo but he is also no Hawk any more. His constant usage of "Stretch" and "just missed it" is getting as old as he is. And while I realize he has to be tactful when calling games, he doesn't have to insult our intelligence with BS.

I don't think the Sox have too many options outside of Stone Pony, either. Stone's not exactly Mr. Personality, but neither is Mike Huff. I like Paciorek, but I think him and Hawk kind of treat their time together like Candyland.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I don't think the Sox have too many options outside of Stone Pony, either. Stone's not exactly Mr. Personality, but neither is Mike Huff. I like Paciorek, but I think him and Hawk kind of treat their time together like Candyland.
I've got to believe there are many play-by-play guys already doing major league games who would jump at a chance to be in the Chicago market. We've all been stuck in the Harrelson forest for so long we no longer remember what a tree looks like.

Get a play by play announcer, and let the color guy add insight. With the White Sox playing the way they are right now I can no longer stomach Harrelson and his complete suffocation of my ability to watch a baseball game without feeling like I'm at a second job.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
1) Hawk compares this season to the 2007 White Sox season. I agree that this has been the worse team we've had since 2007. The difference is in 2007 the White Sox had numerous injuries and the year went down the tubes. With some moves in the off season and a healthy team in 2008, the White Sox were back in the playoffs in 2008. We can't blame injuries this season. Does any body really think this team (if all the players are brought back) is good enough to be in the playoffs in 2014? The White Sox are going to have to make some major moves in the off season to contend in 2014.
2) Todays article in the Sun Times points out the difference between Hawk and Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo. The Hawk was honest in his criticism of the 2013 White Sox team. Santo was a notorious houseman for the Cubs his entire career. (as a player and a radio announcer) He would of NEVER criticised the Cubs team the way Hawk did today. Santo was nothing but a big mouth crybaby who was notorious playing the blame game.

No more calls, we have a winner!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
It probably keeps them from killing each other.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post

Boy is that true. I can't take Stone's nasally monotone anymore, either. These two guys have no chemistry at all and have no business being in the booth together. They clearly don't like each other, and they are basically infecting the fans with their BS now. Sickening...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Let me know once he has an orgasm on the air. I'm convinced Santo creamed himself following a Bill Mueller home run in 2001.
You should write poetry.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
I've got to believe there are many play-by-play guys already doing major league games who would jump at a chance to be in the Chicago market. We've all been stuck in the Harrelson forest for so long we no longer remember what a tree looks like.

Get a play by play announcer, and let the color guy add insight. With the White Sox playing the way they are right now I can no longer stomach Harrelson and his complete suffocation of my ability to watch a baseball game without feeling like I'm at a second job.
As long as Hawk is in the booth, it could be some PBP guys are scared of his reputation. Pure speculation on my part.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

I just can't understand the Hawk hate. I'd love to have someone like Vin Scully, but watch a Cubs, Reds, or Tigers broadcast (like I get here in NE Indiana) and those guys will put you to sleep faster than a "you can put it on the board."
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I just can't understand the Hawk hate. I'd love to have someone like Vin Scully, but watch a Cubs, Reds, or Tigers broadcast (like I get here in NE Indiana) and those guys will put you to sleep faster than a "you can put it on the board."
I agree.

My priorities for overhauling the WSox broadcast teams-
  1. DJ- a complete embarrassment- always annoys me within the first half inning of turning on the game
  2. Stone- just doesn't fit- very knowledgable/talented- but the monotone/nasal tone combined with his lack of chemistry with Hawk- it's not working
  3. Farmer- Was OK as Rooney's partner- and has his good moments- but overall- not up to par for a major market team
  4. Hawk- Needs to go within the next few years- but I've always found more good than bad with him- but his faults get exposed when its a bad White Sox team- and this is a BAD team. I'd like to see Paciorek back as his partner for his final years in the booth-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
What's the primary difference between Vin Scully and Kasper, Brennaman and Impemba? I don't see why Scully, a rather laid back announcer of the game would be singled out by you as "good" and the others "suck". They're all pretty straightforward play-by-play guys.

Allow me to explain my "Hawk Hate" in a nutshell; From the minute the camera goes on him, he starts:

(1) Editorializing
(2) Opining
(3) Reminiscing
(4) Fantasizing
(5) Overanalyzing
(6) Making up crap
(7) Toting the company line
(8) Making excuses
(9) Trumping himself up
(10) Saying things with zero conversational hook
(11) Acting like he invented baseball
(12) Acting like he's the smartest guy in the room
(13) Presenting obscurity as if it's wisdom
(14) Dominating the atmosphere in the booth
(15) Feigning emotion
(16) Complaining about the umpires
(17) Crying about bad luck

He's gone to so many image iterations over the years HE may not even be sure who he is anymore.

Very much like a chameleon his colors will change when the situation calls for it - the only certainty with him will always be a self-promoting angle.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
From the minute the camera goes on him, he starts:

(1) Editorializing
(2) Opining
(3) Reminiscing
(4) Fantasizing
(5) Overanalyzing
(6) Making up crap
(7) Toting the company line
(8) Making excuses
(9) Trumping himself up
(10) Saying things with zero conversational hook
(11) Acting like he invented baseball
(12) Acting like he's the smartest guy in the room
(13) Presenting obscurity as if it's wisdom
(14) Dominating the atmosphere in the booth
(15) Feigning emotion
(16) Complaining about the umpires
(17) Crying about bad luck
Beautifully put. Absolute worst announcer in the game.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Beautifully put. Absolute worst announcer in the game.
You haven't watched any TB Rays games. Staats and Anderson are so bad I have started to pull for the Rays opponents.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 PM
WSI Regular

I haven't watched many, but I've seen a few. Wish I could remember what I thought of them. Ever since a certain website went down I haven't watched many games that aren't on WCIU or WGN.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI Personality

He's not there yet, but he's getting close. It's depressing enough to watch the Sox these days and Hawk makes it so much worse with all of his nonsense. Whether it is his constant complaining about umpiring or his annoying catchphrases, his whole act is worn out.