White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought I read that KW was going to be focusing on the draft and player development. He, and the franchise, consider those areas his main strengths.

Also, I really think pitching mechanics related to injury are incredibly overrated. Some people's body's are just capable of withstanding more punishment than others. No matter the mechanics, pitching is an unnatural action that hurts your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Dome:

I'll be curious if anything comes out in the next few days / weeks about who really is making the calls with the draft. Giving Hahn most of the credit or blame for that matter might be wrong.

Was told that the pick "appeared to have Kenny's fingerprint's all over it..." That doesn't mean it's a bad pick or the wrong pick but if the comment is true you do really wonder if Rick has as much authority as suspected in things.

Lip
We pick a JUCO SS and high school pitcher in the first two rounds and this sounds like Kenny? While I'm not crazy about the picks, I really don't see how this resembles what we've done in the past.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
We pick a JUCO SS and high school pitcher in the first two rounds and this sounds like Kenny? While I'm not crazy about the picks, I really don't see how this resembles what we've done in the past.
Anderson is a bit of a toolsy, raw player so just started playing baseball full-time recently so, yeah, a little bit

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI Guru

Divaldi:

I think (I can't say this for a fact) that the comment told me me regarding Kenny was because this was a player that seemed to have more offers to play another sport (basketball) than baseball.

Kenny seemed to lean towards "athletes" who weren't necessarily baseball players.

That's just a guess on my part but I will follow up and see what that person meant.

Lip
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't really care who pulled the trigger on the pick. I simply want to see how he develops.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Jacob May, CF from Coastal Carolina is the Sox 3rd pick.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Jacob May, CF from Coastal Carolina is the Sox 3rd pick.
Pre-Season Eval: http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/...-100-countdow/

CCU Bio: http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-...ay_726158.html

Nice Diving Catch:

Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox 4th round pick is Andrew Mitchell, RHP from TCU
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Love that pick. Seems like a nice Coop project.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Scouting Report from SB Nation: http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013-ml...tchell-rhp-tcu

Bio from TCU: http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-bas...ll_721822.html

Fluff piece by Star-Telegram, local paper: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06...-tops-tcu.html

Prospect Video:
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM
WSI Personality

I know next to nothing about drafting or how baseball players develop before they make the show. No, make that nothing that I know.

So with that disclaimer, I read that the pitcher they drafted in the 2nd round is looking likely to end up in the bullpen should he make the majors. Is that normal for a high prospect? It just seems to me like that would be a waste for such a high draft pick as a starter, aren't a lot of relievers just failed starters anyway and could be found in later rounds?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I know next to nothing about drafting or how baseball players develop before they make the show. No, make that nothing that I know.

So with that disclaimer, I read that the pitcher they drafted in the 2nd round is looking likely to end up in the bullpen should he make the majors. Is that normal for a high prospect? It just seems to me like that would be a waste for such a high draft pick as a starter, aren't a lot of relievers just failed starters anyway and could be found in later rounds?
Not necessarily. Tanner Scheppers, Rex Brothers, and Addison Reed were all drafted relatively early with the primary focus on being a great bullpen arm.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

No, it's not odd. Early first round would be. It's why you saw Stanek fall to the same range. Most teams believe with his command and injury concerns he'll end up in the pen. High end pen choices go in that range.

Now, whether or not our kid (who isn't on anyone's top 100 board) belongs there is a huge question.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:

For a regular, run of the mill bullpen arm, sure yes, but your elite relief pitchers do go early. Attached is a list of the top relief pitchers by games pitched and by saves that shows this contrast (note, this list omits players who were originally signed as amateur free agents).

Also, if the Sox may have reached a bit for Danish in the 2nd round, it appears thay may have done so with the hope he'll sign for under slot and open up some money for later picks. Their 4th and especially 5th rounders seem pretty aggresive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP by Draft.JPG (61.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Now, whether or not our kid (who isn't on anyone's top 100 board) belongs there is a huge question.
This link will bring you to Baseball America's Top 500 board for the 2013 Draft: https://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/

#96 might be of interest to you.