White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 AM
WSI Regular

Default Adam Dunn : Pitcher?

Since he is not hitting, what about teaching him to throw a mean fastball.
He is a big guy like Jenks, maybe would surprise everyone and have something usable, at least in blown out games, to save the real pitchers for close games.
"Let Coop fix him"
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
They come out early, often and mostly for no good reason. BTW I didn't take your post in the manner in which it was laughed at.
Nor did I - as one of the folks often stabbing the knife.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-01-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Exactly. Releasing Dunn does nothing for a team that really isn't much of anything as a whole, anyway.
It does something for the team, it gets Dunn off of it and it sends a message. Might as well give the bums in the minors a chance rather than have Dunn around setting a bad example and a standard of low expectations.

The notion that Dunn should be kept around in case the Sox might be able to get something for him is ludicrous. No way the Sox ever get jack for Dunn.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Exactly. Releasing Dunn does nothing for a team that really isn't much of anything as a whole, anyway.
Releasing Dunn frees up at bats and a spot position to develop either a young player or give another player a chance to prove what he can or cannot do. It also gets rid of a player who has one of the notoriously worst training regimes in the history of baseball and sends a message to younger players that they need to work in the offseason to be in shape and ready to go. He is a horrible bust that can only be debated with Navarro. At least with Navarro, we only had to see him every 5th day and we got something of value in return.
Adam Dunn: 0 playoff games and awful in when it counts.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:51 PM
WSI Personality

He could still help with attendance and sales - have him sit in one of those water dunk tanks in the cf concourse; $1 a toss.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck003 View Post
He could still help with attendance and sales - have him sit in one of those water dunk tanks in the cf concourse; $1 a toss.

The image that creates makes me laugh quite a bit. Think the line for that would be pretty long.

Unfortunately the DH position has been a complete disaster since the departure of Thome. Needs to be addressed.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck003 View Post
Get on the phone to Brooks.... Ladies and Gentleman we have a winner here.

I dont get baseball anymore... Did you guys see the shot of the dugout the other nite where Dunn is smiling and shooting the **** with Robin like they're best buds going over the idiocyncratic nuances of the game.. Never seen many .180 hitters so full of advice.. (A) "Now this is what I'd do in this situation".... (R) "Really?", "I've seen you in those situations and I've seen you not do a damn thing"...(A) (unfazed)..'You know, you really should send the runner".... (R) (rolls eyes upward and begins to think if he'd be playing today he could have been 40 Mil dollars richer playing on 1 leg and batting .250..

BK59
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM
WSI Guru

Again guys, I can give you 23 million reasons why he isn't quitting and why JR won't release him.

It is what it is folks.

Doesn't mean I agree with it but remember what franchise you're talking about here.

Lip
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Again guys, I can give you 23 million reasons why he isn't quitting and why JR won't release him.

It is what it is folks.

Doesn't mean I agree with it but remember what franchise you're talking about here.

Lip
Okay can you name the organizations you think would bench or release him at this time? I can think of maybe 6... maybe...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

It is what it is folks.

Lip
I agree. Despite the crappy average and approach, he's on pace for 48 HRs and over 100 RBIs. JR's not leaving that money on the table.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I agree. Despite the crappy average and approach, he's on pace for 48 HRs and over 100 RBIs. JR's not leaving that money on the table.
Where can I buy a ticket to watch that movie ? That would be one hell of a hollywood script.. Put the damn 'The Natural" to shame...

Gotta love baseball... it CAN turn on a dime..

BK59
Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Red:

If you think he's going to finish with 48 home runs and over 100 RBI's you and I need to get together a make a friendly wager.

He can hit 55 home runs for all I care, he's killing this team because of the fact he is hitting.150 yet remains in the clean up role.

Voodoo:

That's six organizations then who place a higher priority on winning as opposed to how much a guy makes isn't it?

Again not ripping owenrship, I completely understand why they won't release him. I don't agree with the decision but it's not my money either.

Lip
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Red:

If you think he's going to finish with 48 home runs and over 100 RBI's you and I need to get together a make a friendly wager.

He can hit 55 home runs for all I care, he's killing this team because of the fact he is hitting.150 yet remains in the clean up role.

Voodoo:

That's six organizations then who place a higher priority on winning as opposed to how much a guy makes isn't it?

Again not ripping owenrship, I completely understand why they won't release him. I don't agree with the decision but it's not my money either.

Lip
Not sure where those numbers came from, either. His ESPN profile lists his projected numbers at 37 HRs, 89 RsBI, and 214 strikeouts.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/4808/adam-dunn
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Not sure where those numbers came from, either. His ESPN profile lists his projected numbers at 37 HRs, 89 RsBI, and 214 strikeouts.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/4808/adam-dunn
I don't think he approaches even those numbers (as bad as they are). He's not capable of putting together a prolonged productive stretch.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Red:

Voodoo:

Lip
You guys are right and my math was wrong. I based it on 1/4 of the season being over instead of 1/3. Since we just started June, that would be 36 HRs and 87 RBIs. Not horrible stats, but pretty bad if you match up a .160 (ish) average and the $$$ they are paying him.

Still, JR will not flat out release him. He will have him throwing BP before he does that.