White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Default It's 100% Time to Release Adam Dunn

2+ full seasons-

His "career" stats with the White Sox- .180 batting average, .305 OBP, .690 OPS, with 468 K's in 1124 ABs.

.159 BA in May- other than April/May 2012, no other months where he has hit > .204.

He's black hole in the middle of the line up- significant "addition by subtraction"- replace him with Keppinger as DH when Beckham returns or DH Viciedo and call up Danks.

I doubt Ventura, Hahn and KW have the stones to do it- but its time.

(it's also time to replace Flowers with Phegley, and Wise with Danks- too much dead weight on this roster)-

Shake it up.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

Since we're not competing, releasing him wouldn't make sense. As his contract nears it's finish, if he gets hot enough, we might be able to get something for him.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI High Priest

The Sox salt and pepper 20+M, Not going to happen.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Why? Not gonna save money. Got no one else makes sense to put at DH. When he's on a hot streak he can still carry the team like he did for a few weeks earlier this month when the Sox climbed back to .500.

I understand people are upset because the Sox just lost 3 straight to the flubbies, but releasing Dunn makes NO sense at all...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Why? Not gonna save money. Got no one else makes sense to put at DH. When he's on a hot streak he can still carry the team like he did for a few weeks earlier this month when the Sox climbed back to .500.

I understand people are upset because the Sox just lost 3 straight to the flubbies, but releasing Dunn makes NO sense at all...
Right you are. Remember how we thought he had it figured out not that long ago? Hawk telling us that he watched videos of his NL swing with Manto? But it was over in the blink of an eye.

Still, acting out of anger is for fools.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Nope, the Sox and us fans are pretty much stuck with him and his deplorable batting average and strikeouts. He does get some RBI's in a horrendously bad lineup. It is what it is, makes no sense to release the guy making millions of dollars. I can't really say it was a bad move because nobody expected what they got that first year, the worst batting season in the history of baseball. He was ok last year and somewhere in between this year. I loved this move, you look at his career totals and there was nothing to make one think, despite age, he would be this bad. No Monday quarterbacking here.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I agree that releasing Dunn does not make sense, especially with such limited talent on the 40 man. But the organization should make a move or two to show their displeasure. Maybe the Danks for Wise but that would seem to be really minor. I think you call up Phegley and give him some bats at catcher and DH. Forget the BS that the pitchers may be upset. If Flowers or Giminez goes on the DL, the same issue would arise.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Forget the BS that the pitchers may be upset.
Then, when the starting pitching tanks, we can complain about that move.

This is going to be the team for the rest of the year. There are no moves to make. For lack of better phraseology, deal with it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I agree that releasing Dunn does not make sense, especially with such limited talent on the 40 man. But the organization should make a move or two to show their displeasure. Maybe the Danks for Wise but that would seem to be really minor. I think you call up Phegley and give him some bats at catcher and DH. Forget the BS that the pitchers may be upset. If Flowers or Giminez goes on the DL, the same issue would arise.
They need to do something that much is certain. Robin is the manager, and the same mistakes are being made over and over again, players heads aren't in the game, excuses are being thrown around like crazy. They need to show the fans they care about this season, whether that is a lost cause or not. That shameful performance this week probably cost them a boatload in ticket sales, therefore parking and concessions, and team merchandise, etc.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

At the very least stop batting him the middle of the lineup.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
This is going to be the team for the rest of the year. There are no moves to make. For lack of better phraseology, deal with it.
Exactly. Releasing Dunn does nothing for a team that really isn't much of anything as a whole, anyway.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI Personality

Default Past History

The only player that was similar to Adam Dunn with the White Sox was Ron(Pizza Man/Scab) Santo. The White Sox traded for Santo after the 73 season and gave him a 2 year contract. Santo was brutal during the 1974 season. He only hit 5 home runs for the White Sox and he didn't hit his weight. The White Sox benched him the last month of the season. Santo took the hint and retired after the 74 season. Santo walked away from his last year of the contract. First of all, the White Sox have to get another hitter from somewhere and plug him into the lineup. Then you simply bench Dunn. Hopefully he will take the hint and retire. Dunn has claimed he would retire when the game was no longer fun for him. Bench him on a permanent basis and lets see what he does. I think the White Sox have been more than fair with him the past 3 seasons. They have giving him every opportunity to succeed and he has flopped here. He has been the worse cleanup hitter in modern baseball history. (post World War 2) I would be happy never to see him bat for the White Sox again.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
+1. Eighth would be my spot for him. I wouldn't want him ninth because in the event he'd reach base once in a while he'd clog them for the top of the order.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
And stop playing him against lefties.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The only player that was similar to Adam Dunn with the White Sox was Ron(Pizza Man/Scab) Santo. The White Sox traded for Santo after the 73 season and gave him a 2 year contract. Santo was brutal during the 1974 season. He only hit 5 home runs for the White Sox and he didn't hit his weight. The White Sox benched him the last month of the season. Santo took the hint and retired after the 74 season. Santo walked away from his last year of the contract. First of all, the White Sox have to get another hitter from somewhere and plug him into the lineup. Then you simply bench Dunn. Hopefully he will take the hint and retire. Dunn has claimed he would retire when the game was no longer fun for him. Bench him on a permanent basis and lets see what he does. I think the White Sox have been more than fair with him the past 3 seasons. They have giving him every opportunity to succeed and he has flopped here. He has been the worse cleanup hitter in modern baseball history. (post World War 2) I would be happy never to see him bat for the White Sox again.
Facts:

Dunn is owed 23 million dollars. JR is not going to release him with that money owed.

Dunn "retiring" would be totally and completely irresponsible to his family with that kind of money left on the table

Ron Santo wasn't making anywhere close to what Dunn was making so the example listed has no bearing - and the Sox have no hammer to use on Dunn say by benching him because of what they owe him.

So I think we can forego the listed example for the next two years, it's simply not going to happen.

Can I see Robin moving Dunn down in the lineup? I certainly hope so but as Kittle said (paraphrasing) with all the issues surrounding this team and the organization it really won't make that much of a difference.

Lip