White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI Guru

Did Hawk debut a new nickname tonight? EL STALLIONE?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice recovery by Wells after slipping in the downpour to catch that fly ball in the 9th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I noticed that too. For Rios, right?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 PM
MMXXIII

Hate to ruin the motif, but this White Sox team is kind of fun to watch right now...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Pretty sure he did but I had no idea what the hell he was saying. He has seemed exceptionally upbeat this series and is chatting with Steve like they are best friends. Wimpy must have rejuvenated him.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Once again Thornton cannot be trusted. He does not have the make up to pitch in tight ballgames.
It's been going on for two seasons now yet Ventura continues to pitch him with the game on the line.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Quote:
in a game over the weekend, Hawk said something like "Rios has been such a stallion for us". I remember cuz it made me snicker. I'll bet he's decided it will be his nickname.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Nice to see our 4th and 5th starters at the beginning of the season beating one of the AL's best teams. Shame that Sale will miss a start, but with the off-day on Thursday, no reason to leave Santiago in tomorrow any longer than is necessary if he gets in trouble.

Sox have stayed within striking distance despite the myriad of injuries. After tomorrow, the schedule gives up a pretty big break over the next month, where the only team we play between now and June 28 that has a winning record at the moment is Oakland (3 vs. Miami, 2 vs. the Cubs, 2 at the Cubs, 3 at Oakland, 3 at Seattle, 4 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Toronto, 4 at Houston, 3 at Minnesota, 3 at Kansas City, 2 vs. the Mets). If they're going to put themselves in contention, it has to come in this stretch.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
It's been going on for two seasons now yet Ventura continues to pitch him with the game on the line.
Where else is he going to look for a first lefty out of the 'pen? Santiago back in the 'pen when Danks returns could move Thornton back a notch. That would work for me. First it took forever to figure out that he couldn't close. Now he can't do much of anything.

Addison Reed can. He's got it all, 2013 control of that tight slider is the big change. Got the mental makeup for the job, too.

Quintana is right there with Sale and Peavy or soon will be, IMO. We got a winner there, guys.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Once again Thornton cannot be trusted. He does not have the make up to pitch in tight ballgames.

I know Jones has been struggling this year but at this point he would be a better option in my opinion. Unless he is hurt because I haven't seen him in a while.

Quintana backs up last years solid outing against Boston with another. On their message board they must be going crazy about how Cy Quintana owns them...the thought makes me smile.

Hopefully Hector can keep it rolling tomorrow. If Konerko could get going offensively our team might look really good all of the sudden...

Maybe this is the year where we take off in the second half and finish the job. Here's to hoping
You can't be serious. Thornton doesn't have the stuff he used to have. His velocity has declined with age and his K rate has declined as well. He's been a good reliever for the Sox for years, but the end is obviously coming. It doesn't have anything to do with "make up." He has a high-mileage arm at this point, plain and simple.

Jones has been walking people whenever he gets into a high-leverage situation. Until I see more strikes, I don't want him out there in a tight game.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Where else is he going to look for a first lefty out of the 'pen? Santiago back in the 'pen when Danks returns could move Thornton back a notch. That would work for me. First it took forever to figure out that he couldn't close. Now he can't do much of anything.

Addison Reed can. He's got it all, 2013 control of that tight slider is the big change. Got the mental makeup for the job, too.

Quintana is right there with Sale and Peavy or soon will be, IMO. We got a winner there, guys.
Exactly. He's all we got right now. Veal sucks. Santiago has moved into the rotation on an emergency basis.

Really, the bullpen gets pretty thin after you get past Reed and Crain, both of whom have been awesome.

The Sox need some other relief pitchers to step up their game. Lindstrom cleaned up a mess tonight. Hopefully, he gets his **** together. I really liked that signing when it was made.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Two nicknames. Don't forget about Jesse "Stone".
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Thornton's never had a good offspeed pitch. He used to dominate with an explosive fastball. It used to pop out of his hand in such a strange way. It's almost like watching Soriano hit. He's a small guy, but the ball just explodes off his bat. Both those guys are probably gone. That doesn't mean he's not tough. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the "make up." His arm's falling off. It's what happens to pitchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Thornton's never had a good offspeed pitch. He used to dominate with an explosive fastball. It used to pop out of his hand in such a strange way. It's almost like watching Soriano hit. He's a small guy, but the ball just explodes off his bat. Both those guys are probably gone. That doesn't mean he's not tough. It doesn't mean he doesn't have the "make up." His arm's falling off. It's what happens to pitchers.
Robin has the same mentality w relievers that Ozzie had--always lefties against lefties if you have one available. Crain only threw 12 pitches in the 8th and he over powered them. Why not let him come back in the 8th. It wasn't Ortiz coming up but rather their 9th and leadoff hitters. I think the more relievers you throw out there, the better chance you bring in one who doesn't have it that night. But hey, Lindstrom bailed them out.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Robin has the same mentality w relievers that Ozzie had--always lefties against lefties if you have one available. Crain only threw 12 pitches in the 8th and he over powered them. Why not let him come back in the 8th. It wasn't Ortiz coming up but rather their 9th and leadoff hitters. I think the more relievers you throw out there, the better chance you bring in one who doesn't have it that night. But hey, Lindstrom bailed them out.
I put this on Coop. Robin still being a new manager would probably defer to Coop if he said leave Crain in for the 8th. Maybe they're trying to limit Crain's innings for the long haul.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
Ugh Flowers. If you had a top notch defensive catcher you could live with him hitting in the low .200s. But not only is Flowers hitting below .200, his defense has been pretty mediocre to poor.

Sox need a catcher.
Agreed, even Ron Karkovice averaged 17 HR and .221 BA.

And Karko was vastly superior to Flowers defensively.