White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
If the Sox want Danks to start right away, I'm going to guess that Cooper has a pretty big say in that decision, so by arguing you think it'd be better for him to start in the bullpen (I'm guessing you've closely monitored his rehab in person) you are clearly demonstrating that you think, in this instance, you would be a better pitching coach than Coop.

I will call bull.
Fine. More sarcasm. I never claimed to know more than Cooper, or that I would be a better pitching coach than him. On the contrary, if you look at my posting history, I doubt you will find a single post where I criticized Cooper. As an outside, admittedly uninformed observer, it seems to me that none of the Sox current starting pitchers has earned "demotion" to the pen just because Danks is healthy.

What I'll never understand is why some people enjoy criticizing others, seemingly just for the hell of it, instead of just focusing on the merit (or lack thereof) of a particular idea.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If the Sox want Danks to start right away, I'm going to guess that Cooper has a pretty big say in that decision, so by arguing you think it'd be better for him to start in the bullpen (I'm guessing you've closely monitored his rehab in person) you are clearly demonstrating that you think, in this instance, you would be a better pitching coach than Coop.

I will call bull.
Oh for goodness sakes.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

What I'll never understand is why some people enjoy criticizing others, seemingly just for the hell of it, instead of just focusing on the merit (or lack thereof) of a particular idea.
I don't understand people who think their meritless ideas are above criticism due to tenure.

There's plenty of second guessing with this franchise, that's for sure, but their pitcher's coaching staff is not one.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't understand people who think their meritless ideas are above criticism due to tenure.

There's plenty of second guessing with this franchise, that's for sure, but their pitcher's coaching staff is not one.
I don't see why you don't/can't/won't confine your criticism to the idea, instead of criticizing the person.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
WSI Prelate

yea, the idea of leaving a pitcher with an ERA of 2.81, averaging nearly a K per inning in the rotation instead of middle relief, in lieu of a player who hasn't pitched in over a year is meritless. LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM
WSI High Priest

John Danks makes $14 million a year. He's not going to the bullpen.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I don't see why you don't/can't/won't confine your criticism to the idea, instead of criticizing the person.
I thought I'd made it pretty clear I think the idea is pretty ****ing stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
yea, the idea of leaving a pitcher with an ERA of 2.81, averaging nearly a K per inning in the rotation instead of middle relief, in lieu of a player who hasn't pitched in over a year is meritless. LOL
Yeah, you have probably 1% of the information and experience of the guy you're second guessing so... Yes. Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
John Danks makes $14 million a year. He's not going to the bullpen.
He's also a better pitcher than Santiago or Axelrod.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Maybe give Don Cooper a call then and let him know how much better you would be than he at his job
Quote:
you are clearly demonstrating that you think, in this instance, you would be a better pitching coach than Coop.
These statements are sarcastic, thinly-veiled personal attacks, based on a misleading and wrong premise, as I never once criticized Don Cooper, nor was it ever my intent to do so.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
These statements are sarcastic, thinly-veiled personal attacks, based on a misleading and wrong premise, as I never once criticized Don Cooper, nor was it ever my intent to do so.
That's a load of ****, if you're going to get all angry that I'm "personally attacking" you because I am calling your idea dumb, then you're not allowed to pretend you aren't attacking Cooper who has undoubtedly been one of the key staffers who have designed Danks' rehab, because you think his plan is dumb, too.

Sorry, you don't get to have your cake and eat it, too.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I thought I'd made it pretty clear I think the idea is pretty ****ing stupid.

Yeah, you have probably 1% of the information and experience of the guy you're second guessing so... Yes. Definitely.

He's also a better pitcher than Santiago or Axelrod.
By the reasoning of your second point, we could maybe just call it a day and shut down internet sports forums. And sports talk radio. Heck, any forums about anything where normal everyday people talk about things they aren't directly involved with could be considered pointless.

Is Danks a better pitcher than Santiago at this point? He'll be given every chance to prove that he is since he's a veteran with a big contract and a past history of success, but he's also coming off of shoulder surgery and had to delay the start of his season because he was throwing in the mid 80s during spring training, was still apparently barely hitting 90 in his rehab starts, and walked 12 guys in 15.2 AAA innings. Santiago might get plagued by some control issues here and there too, but his stuff looks pretty darn impressive on a regular basis, and he gets people out. Danks was a better pitcher than Santiago from 2008 to 2011ish (minus his lousy first half that year), but do we know for sure that he still is or will be moving forward?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's a load of ****, if you're going to get all angry that I'm "personally attacking" you because I am calling your idea dumb, then you're not allowed to pretend you aren't attacking Cooper who has undoubtedly been one of the key staffers who have designed Danks' rehab, because you think his plan is dumb, too.

Sorry, you don't get to have your cake and eat it, too.
I don't care if you think my idea sucks.

I don't like having my position misrepresented. In conversation, this is called "putting words in someone's mouth." You misrepresented my position. Period.

Understand?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Meanwhile, the Friday start for Danks is official.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...x.jsp?c_id=cws
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I don't care if you think my idea sucks.

I don't like having my position misrepresented. In conversation, this is called "putting words in someone's mouth." You misrepresented my position. Period.

Understand?

You're going to keep digging this hole? Your position is 100% clear to me. It's just that your position is profoundly arrogant and ridiculous. And so, in the great debate between random internet commenter or coaching staff of the team with the 4th best overall ERA and best SP ERA in the AL and best training staff in the MLB (by a wide margin) for the last decade... Who should I choose to trust?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

You're going to keep digging this hole? Your position is 100% clear to me. It's just that your position is profoundly arrogant and ridiculous. And so, in the great debate between random internet commenter or coaching staff of the team with the 4th best overall ERA and best SP ERA in the AL and best training staff in the MLB (by a wide margin) for the last decade... Who should I choose to trust?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....
I don't see any holes, and I don't care what you think of my position. Just don't misrepresent what I said.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

No doubt. I also had 1% of the information Ozzie and Williams had too. Boy those Swisher trades were great. Edwin Jackson is elite. And Ozzie was right! Wise is a leadoff hitter.