White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
WSI Guru

Default Hahn On Rebuild Possibility...

Says there are no plans to do so as of now. Scouts being told to look at players who can help this season at deadline:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,467121.story

Lip
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM
MMXXIII

I am just going to hope the number of people who actually believe him is zero

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Not much else he can say at this stage. Interesting about Beckham at short. Ramirez may be be able to get something in return and of course salary relief.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Honestly, I don't think it matters what they're going to do. Whether they decide to continue with the current group or to rebuild, they will find a way to screw it up.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

It appears the Sox' current thought process is "if we pretend to care maybe the fans will too"
Old 05-21-2013, 05:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Beckham at Short..hmmm. TCM on his way out? Would not break my heart if they trade him, never a big fan of his.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Beckham at Short..hmmm. TCM on his way out? Would not break my heart if they trade him, never a big fan of his.

It would me. I don't think that Beckham has the arm for SS (he certainly may have the range), and I absolutely LOVE the growth that Ramirez has shown as a MLB SS over his tenure here with the Sox. I remember when he was at 2B his first year here that I thought he was going to be a great SS...and then his first year he fell flat on his face and was horrible in the field...and then the year after proceeded to have a Gold Glove-caliber season (damn you, Derek Jeter).

I won't lie and say that he's the best SS in the league, but I still think that he's one of the best in the field. So far this year he's been solid, even with a rotating 2B. When Beckham comes back, I expect him to return to being a top 3 SS.

I think it would be a mistake to let him go or to trade him.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Honestly, I don't think it matters what they're going to do. Whether they decide to continue with the current group or to rebuild, they will find a way to screw it up.
That says it all right there.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
That says it all right there.
Yup, and I sadly couldn't agree more.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
WSI High Priest

It is sad, but would anyone not trade places with the Cubs right now? Atleast having a highly regarded Farm system makes the rebuild stomachable. The Sox are basically stuck in baseball hell, absolutely terrible, pathetic MLB roster and an equally pathetic farm system.

Selling makes no sense this early because why sell the couple of guys who might have any value... No one is taking Dunn unless he KEEPS hitting, no one is going to give much for PK at his age, Maybe Rios attracts some offers, no one wants Beckham, its just a bad team, probably a sub 80 win team...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM
WSI Personality

The Sox really need some pop in their bats. Dunn, Keppinger, Flowers etc..........are not an easy sight to watch.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It is sad, but would anyone not trade places with the Cubs right now? Atleast having a highly regarded Farm system makes the rebuild stomachable. The Sox are basically stuck in baseball hell, absolutely terrible, pathetic MLB roster and an equally pathetic farm system.
Honestly no, because for all the hype of their young players like Starlin, Rizzo, Soler, etc. they have not yet been able to prove they can identify or develop pitching. The Sox, for all their woes, do seem to at least be able to cultivate arms; who would have thought that as we enter the last week of May that Hector, Quintana, and Axelrod would have pitched well enough to justify a SP spot when Danks returns. For all the flash and sizzle the Cubs rebuild gets, they still have not proven they can find any solution to their organization's serious lack of quality pitchers.

That said, neither team is in a real good place right now. But I don't, at all, think it is a given that in say, 2016, 2017, or 2018 the Cubs will DEFINITELY be a better team than the Sox as the organizations are cosnstucted right now.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Honestly no, because for all the hype of their young players like Starlin, Rizzo, Soler, etc. they have not yet been able to prove they can identify or develop pitching. The Sox, for all their woes, do seem to at least be able to cultivate arms; who would have thought that as we enter the last week of May that Hector, Quintana, and Axelrod would have pitched well enough to justify a SP spot when Danks returns. For all the flash and sizzle the Cubs rebuild gets, they still have not proven they can find any solution to their organization's serious lack of quality pitchers.

That said, neither team is in a real good place right now. But I don't, at all, think it is a given that in say, 2016, 2017, or 2018 the Cubs will DEFINITELY be a better team than the Sox as the organizations are cosnstucted right now.
I agree. Sox have the hardest piece to get with an ace like Sale. Much more young pitcing talent than the cubs as of now. Position players are another story. Sox don't have much in the pipeline.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Not much else he can say at this stage. Interesting about Beckham at short. Ramirez may be be able to get something in return and of course salary relief.
I think you are really under selling Alexei....I think he could bring a big return. He is only making $7M this year and is signed for 2 years after that at a fairly reasonable salary. He plays an outstanding SS, and doesn't hurt you offensively. A team like St. Louis with a big need for a SS could bring back some nice pieces in a deal for Alexei and maybe Jesse Crain. Give me Michael Wacha and Matt Adams, both of who could contribute either this year or early next year.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think you hold the course for a while. I don't think the Sox can be as bad as they were in the first month and a half for a whole season. Next year, the only 2 real positions of need are 1st and maybe C. ADA can continue to be a stopgap. Hopefully one of the few legit prospects can develop into a CF. If not, find one. The staff is young and good. I actually like the pen.

The Tigers have a bad pen and I think there's something wrong with Verlander. If Verlander isn't Verlander, that team suddenly looks beatable.

Normally I'd be all over the rebuild, but I don't see any viable assets to actually get top prospects. There will be enough money off the books next year to retool. Maybe find a CF, move ADA to LF and Viciedo to 1st.

If the Sox do get hot and suddenly become buyers, I think you have to look at a replacement for PK. Nobody wants it, but he's been bad for about 3/4 of a season, going back to last year. It's probably time.

*edit*
Replacing Ramirez with Beckham would be an absolute disaster defensively. Ramirez is still elite with the glove, and I mean elite. Beckham doesn't have the physical tools to play SS, let alone play it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Closed Thread