White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Silver Linings

No dark clouds allowed...

Danks and Beckham will return soon.

Danks will provide needed depth and innings in the rotation. This allows significant flexibility (6-man rotation, skipping starts, future double headers, long relief help, etc.).

Beckham will improve the infield defense, which will help the pitchers. Robin will be able to use Keppinger more as a super-sub and pinch hitter, strengthening the bench.

The pitching has been superb.

The weather is improving and yesterday's warning track flies with RISP will become tomorrow's three-run homers. This is how the Sox offense has been since 2000, and especially since the Cell was renovated.

Maybe Dunn going back to his Nationals-era swing will see a return to Nationals-era production? I'll take a .250 average and and .850 OPS from this point forward.

Rios has avoided his typical "odd year slump." He's the best #3 hitter we've had since Jermaine Dye.

Things have gone as bad as possible with the hitting. It is fair to expect they will "progress to the mean."

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 AM
MMXXIII

Sox have actually racked up 10+ hits in 3 straight games for the first time this year. Actually, if you go back since they got dominated by Matt Harvey, who is just excellent, they've got 72 hits in 7 games.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

I share your optimism. Maybe this team will start to turn it around. It's hard to believe that they have the same record this year (17-21) as they did last year after the same number of games. The start of this season has been a replay of the last couple of weeks of the 2012 season. Being out of first place by only 5 games isn't that big of a mountain to climb. Hopefully we can still get into the 2013 Playoffs.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Detroit will be going down.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hitting is contagious. Let's hope it spreads and multiplies. Dunn waking up will make PK better, and PK didn't get too old overnight... he'll hit at some point at least for a while. When things are going badly it is easy to believe that it will stay that way. Just like good streaks come to an end, so do bad streaks. When almost an entire team is sputtering at the plate you are going to lose games. If one or two guys start hitting we will win games because we're not giving up that many runs.

I think our defense will improve with Beckham's return and he is clearly more valued by some people already. Also, the defense has been as bad as it can be, I reckon, so the only way is up.

Jones should find his control, shouldn't he? That will be like adding another arm in the pen. Ohmygosho might also gain some needed confidence after a 1-2-3 inning. Starting pitching??... well, just keep it going boys.

The manager taking real, tangible action seems to have helped, at least in the short term.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

When Beckham comes back, who sits at 3rd?....Keppinger or Gillaspie?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
No dark clouds allowed...
You might want to make the stipulation "no reality allowed", because you don't have to be a dark cloud to ruin this thread.

Okay I'll try.

We're on a winning streak!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI Prelate

A big problem this year has been mental space-outs. That weakness is not intractable and is correctable, so there's a reasonable chance we see nice improvement just in that area.

We're only 5 behind Detriot, and they've already used up 6 games against the Astros.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
I think Keppinger gets more off days, but will still play more than a typical bench player. I could see Robin rotating days off for maintenance and sliding Kepp in all around.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post

Surely Gillaspie has to play himself out of a starting job. Keppinger has already done that, for now at least.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

The good news is they won a series against a bad team and hopefully gives them momentum for the next two series against decent teams.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI Guru

I know some were fearful of this stretch of 15 out of 18 on the road. Fourteen games in, the Sox have gone 7-7.

The best thing I can say right now is they've managed to hold their ground during a challenging stretch of schedule, sloppy play and all. They are only five games back in a tightly-packed division. It could be a lot worse.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have heard Silver Linings is a good movie.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI High Priest

I think that Keppinger has to be platooned behind Gilaspie for the time being....go against leftys only,until he figures it out.

Gordo has to come back and produce,and with Dayan hitting his stride...Sox could hang around in this division,and make it an interesting summer....oh and Danks has to come back and win!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
They are only five games back in a tightly-packed division. It could be a lot worse.
It could be a lot worse. But unfortunately they are 5 games back but also in 5th place. So ideally the White Sox are 10-12 games out of first place. So far, the good thing is the AL West is awful so maybe the wildcard will be a possiblity for the central which gives the Sox 2 chances if they turn it around.