White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Personality

Sale is a mere All-Star. Rizzo is the Messiah, hence the need for front page coverage.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
And who has been hitting the ball very well since.
I very seldom watch them but I had them on a couple of weeks ago and he hit one of the longest homers I've ever seen at Wrigley, it landed in the first row of the upper section that's below the scoreboard, a little left of right center.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I very seldom watch them but I had them on a couple of weeks ago and he hit one of the longest homers I've ever seen at Wrigley, it landed in the first row of the upper section that's below the scoreboard, a little left of right center.
I have two fantasy teams. On one Rizzo is my 1B and I have Paulie in the other. Rizzo is now hitting .280/.352/.538 with 9 HRs and 28 RsBI. When he was scuffling a bit at the start he was still knocking out HRs, but now he's collecting other hits, as well.

While Cashner has looked good so far this season, I still don't understand that trade for San Diego. I suppose they had to choose between Rizzo and Alonso if they were both just 1B, but they appear to have made the wrong choice there (and Rizzo's minor-league numbers were slightly better, anyway).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Noneck:

It's a lot different isn't it from back in the day when Veeck owned the club for a second time and if he didn't like the coverage (or lack of coverage) with the club, he'd call up the sports editors and complain about it.

Lip

Lip,

Yes he did and he cared when he knew the Sox were getting the short end of the stick. But he was also running the team on a shoe string ,not raking in the dough hand over fist. This group doesnt want to upset the apple cart, on a very good thing they have going.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Golden:

As you know back in the 50's and through the mid 60's the Sox got the lions share of local media coverage in this town.

Why?

Well a big part of it was because they were actually winning.

Just something to think about.

That and the fact that they actually fought for their own part of the city landscape.

Lip
They also had some powerful friends in the local sports media. John Carmichael comes to mind. As does Bill Gleason. Edgar Munzel and Jerome Holtzman took turns covering the Sox and Cubs for the Sun Times, trading places at the All Star break IIRC. They were both very positive towards the Sox. Definitely a different era and hard for many younger Sox fans to understand I suspect. By 'younger" I suppose I mean under 55 LOL. It all started to change drastically when the Cubs had their mini resurgence under Leo Durocher. The defunct tabloid Chicago Today had a sportswriter, Rick Talley, who was especially pro Cub and openly hostile to the White Sox. For decades the Sox have been the red haired step child of the Chicago sports scene.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
They also had some powerful friends in the local sports media. John Carmichael comes to mind. As does Bill Gleason. Edgar Munzel and Jerome Holtzman took turns covering the Sox and Cubs for the Sun Times, trading places at the All Star break IIRC. They were both very positive towards the Sox. Definitely a different era and hard for many younger Sox fans to understand I suspect. By 'younger" I suppose I mean under 55 LOL. It all started to change drastically when the Cubs had their mini resurgence under Leo Durocher. The defunct tabloid Chicago Today had a sportswriter, Rick Talley, who was especially pro Cub and openly hostile to the White Sox. For decades the Sox have been the red haired step child of the Chicago sports scene.

The Daily News also had John Justin Smith who was a big fan of the Sox. I didnt remember Talley being so pro cubs considering he hosted the Dick Allen show. I also remember Talley covering for Allen during his no shows to the show.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Looks like a great deal. Rizzo is a real fun player to watch. Good for them.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Amen on Rick Talley, he was a jerk and probably on the Cubs payroll.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Golden:

It's due to everything that occured (or didn't occur) in the 25 years leading up to it that enables the Cubs to not win and still get more than their fair share of coverage....and some of that fault lies with the Sox themselves.

Lip
Yep, and it all started with the current ownership thinking they could market the White Sox as "Chicago's American League team". Remember that marketing move?!

The SOX revenue model is built around drawing around 2M fans and anything above that is great. For example, look how much parking has increased over the past 20 years at Comiskey II.

I don't think JR ever intended for the SOX to be the number one team in Chicago. IMO, Chicago became a Cubs town the moment the SOX went to Sportsvision and the Cubs became the anchor of the WGN superstation, broadcasting day baseball to the nation and widening their fanbase. Wrigley morphed from an old ballpark with no lights to the shrine of all thinks old-school baseball "nestled" into a uber-trendy Chicago neighborhood. The rest is history.

The SOX will never re-claim Chicago or even come close to being considered an equal to the Cubs in both the local and national media under the current ownership's management plan. A downtown loop, Detroit-like, ballpark would be a big step forward, but the marketing team would need to be gutted with a new focus on re-branding the team.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Looks like a great deal. Rizzo is a real fun player to watch. Good for them.
Yes this says what I mean to say. He seems like he's gonna be a good one. I really don't particularly care for the cubs and all the fawning but this is a cubs moment. Its like on youtube, whenever I see an old song from way back, all the haters of today's music come on and do their hating on rap, hip hop and whatever and of course pedestalize their music. Live and let live...

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)