White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
StillMissOzzie StillMissOzzie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 5,402
Default Astros DFA Humber

Saw it on the crawl during ESPN's telecast of tonight's Sox game. It said he was 0-8 with an ERA of 9.59. Granted, Humber was pitching for arguably the worst team in baseball this year, so I can't speak to that W-L record, but that lofty ERA means he was not getting anybody out.

If Humber can't stick with the worst team in MLB, is he done, one year removed from a perfect game?

SMO
__________________
2014 tally: x 1, x 1
COTC Record: 1 - 1 (lifetime)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,217
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Coop'll fix him?

__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

In the long article S.I. had on him this off season a big point that was brought out was how difficult it was for him mentally pitching in the big leagues...every pitch had to be perfect, he had to get every hitter out, he had to win every game or his mind started to put undue pressure on him.

He was never able to overcome the mental side of the game and ultimately it probably ended his career.

He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,916
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip
You're still talking about a guy who pitched over 350 innings in his professional career, there's probably thousands of guys with just as electric stuff as Humber who never made it above AA.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You're still talking about a guy who pitched over 350 innings in his professional career, there's probably thousands of guys with just as electric stuff as Humber who never made it above AA.
,

True, but it really doesn't make sense that a pitcher with Humber's physical talents can't be more successful in the majors. Just as Hershieser last night talked about C.J. Wilson getting into his own head too much, that might also apply to Humber.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
In the long article S.I. had on him this off season a big point that was brought out was how difficult it was for him mentally pitching in the big leagues...every pitch had to be perfect, he had to get every hitter out, he had to win every game or his mind started to put undue pressure on him.

He was never able to overcome the mental side of the game and ultimately it probably ended his career.

He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip
So I guess his perfect game only added to his relentless pursuit of perfection. I can't imagine his W/L record and ERA has been too good since that pefecto in Seattle. It obviously hurt him more than it helped him in the long run.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Red:

Humber admitted in the article that yes it did put pressure on him, he felt that he had to try to "live up" to what he did.

Remember this guy was if I remember correctly, the #5 pick in the draft the year he came out, I guess if you base his career on his draft position he's been a big disappointment.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Taliesinrk Taliesinrk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,882
Default

I feel you guys writing his eulogy is just slightly premature. I guarantee another team takes a flyer on him and he'll be pitching at worst in AAA (or AA, I guess) soon. With his potential, he's guaranteed to have at least a few more years in the minors with teams giving his a shot to regain form/potential. I could even see some other struggling teams put him in the bullpen right now in a long relief type role.
__________________
"There's only one sports team in Chicago that will get a pass. I won't name them. But it ain't us.'' - Kenny Williams
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
russ99 russ99 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,624
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Humber has been beyond awful this year for the Astros, surprised it took them so long to cut him.

Yes, they're the worst team in the AL, but their offense has done fairly well, it's the starting pitching especially that's not done well for them.

Can't say that he didn't get every chance.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,916
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesinrk View Post
I feel you guys writing his eulogy is just slightly premature. I guarantee another team takes a flyer on him and he'll be pitching at worst in AAA (or AA, I guess) soon. With his potential, he's guaranteed to have at least a few more years in the minors with teams giving his a shot to regain form/potential. I could even see some other struggling teams put him in the bullpen right now in a long relief type role.
The guy's 30 years old and his career ERA is well over 5. Not sure how much more "potential" there is in that arm.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,956
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The guy's 30 years old and his career ERA is well over 5. Not sure how much more "potential" there is in that arm.
Like Charlie Robertson, he's a mediocre Texas-born pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle one day. That's it.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 6 - 3

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,072
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Like Charlie Robertson, he's a mediocre Texas-born pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle one day. That's it.
Even if he never pitches another day in the big leagues, he will always have a spot in White Sox and MLB history for that perfect game. It remains a hell of an accomplishment.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,110
Default

Well, this proves it: the 2012 Mariners were that bad.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
white sox bill white sox bill is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Madeline Island in Lake Superior
Posts: 3,185
Default

In music they are called one hit wonders, so would Phillip be a no hit wonder? Perfect wonder?

Anyone remember Len Barker w/ Cleveland back in the 70's? IIRC he had a no no but that was the climax of a rather mediocre career
__________________
"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights" Ronnie Coleman Mr Olympia

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM
vinny's Avatar
vinny vinny is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 3,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
In music they are called one hit wonders, so would Phillip be a no hit wonder? Perfect wonder?

Anyone remember Len Barker w/ Cleveland back in the 70's? IIRC he had a no no but that was the climax of a rather mediocre career
LOL, he was already dipping toward mediocrity when he threw his perfecto in 1981, before the strike. The Braves picked him up in 1983, but he spend a lot of time on the DL in 1984 and 1985.

Dallas Braden might be an apt comparison, but he was plagued by injuries after his perfecto. But Braden threw several complete games in his short career.
__________________
2013: 4-4
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.