White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Astros DFA Humber

Saw it on the crawl during ESPN's telecast of tonight's Sox game. It said he was 0-8 with an ERA of 9.59. Granted, Humber was pitching for arguably the worst team in baseball this year, so I can't speak to that W-L record, but that lofty ERA means he was not getting anybody out.

If Humber can't stick with the worst team in MLB, is he done, one year removed from a perfect game?

SMO
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Coop'll fix him?

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
WSI Guru

In the long article S.I. had on him this off season a big point that was brought out was how difficult it was for him mentally pitching in the big leagues...every pitch had to be perfect, he had to get every hitter out, he had to win every game or his mind started to put undue pressure on him.

He was never able to overcome the mental side of the game and ultimately it probably ended his career.

He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

He probably is the perfect example for the old saying, "million dollar arm...ten cent head."

Lip
You're still talking about a guy who pitched over 350 innings in his professional career, there's probably thousands of guys with just as electric stuff as Humber who never made it above AA.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You're still talking about a guy who pitched over 350 innings in his professional career, there's probably thousands of guys with just as electric stuff as Humber who never made it above AA.

True, but it really doesn't make sense that a pitcher with Humber's physical talents can't be more successful in the majors. Just as Hershieser last night talked about C.J. Wilson getting into his own head too much, that might also apply to Humber.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
In the long article S.I. had on him this off season a big point that was brought out was how difficult it was for him mentally pitching in the big leagues...every pitch had to be perfect, he had to get every hitter out, he had to win every game or his mind started to put undue pressure on him.

He was never able to overcome the mental side of the game and ultimately it probably ended his career.

Lip
So I guess his perfect game only added to his relentless pursuit of perfection. I can't imagine his W/L record and ERA has been too good since that pefecto in Seattle. It obviously hurt him more than it helped him in the long run.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Guru

Red:

Humber admitted in the article that yes it did put pressure on him, he felt that he had to try to "live up" to what he did.

Remember this guy was if I remember correctly, the #5 pick in the draft the year he came out, I guess if you base his career on his draft position he's been a big disappointment.

Lip
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

I feel you guys writing his eulogy is just slightly premature. I guarantee another team takes a flyer on him and he'll be pitching at worst in AAA (or AA, I guess) soon. With his potential, he's guaranteed to have at least a few more years in the minors with teams giving his a shot to regain form/potential. I could even see some other struggling teams put him in the bullpen right now in a long relief type role.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Humber has been beyond awful this year for the Astros, surprised it took them so long to cut him.

Yes, they're the worst team in the AL, but their offense has done fairly well, it's the starting pitching especially that's not done well for them.

Can't say that he didn't get every chance.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesinrk View Post
I feel you guys writing his eulogy is just slightly premature. I guarantee another team takes a flyer on him and he'll be pitching at worst in AAA (or AA, I guess) soon. With his potential, he's guaranteed to have at least a few more years in the minors with teams giving his a shot to regain form/potential. I could even see some other struggling teams put him in the bullpen right now in a long relief type role.
The guy's 30 years old and his career ERA is well over 5. Not sure how much more "potential" there is in that arm.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The guy's 30 years old and his career ERA is well over 5. Not sure how much more "potential" there is in that arm.
Like Charlie Robertson, he's a mediocre Texas-born pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle one day. That's it.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Like Charlie Robertson, he's a mediocre Texas-born pitcher who caught lightning in a bottle one day. That's it.
Even if he never pitches another day in the big leagues, he will always have a spot in White Sox and MLB history for that perfect game. It remains a hell of an accomplishment.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Well, this proves it: the 2012 Mariners were that bad.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

In music they are called one hit wonders, so would Phillip be a no hit wonder? Perfect wonder?

Anyone remember Len Barker w/ Cleveland back in the 70's? IIRC he had a no no but that was the climax of a rather mediocre career

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
In music they are called one hit wonders, so would Phillip be a no hit wonder? Perfect wonder?

Anyone remember Len Barker w/ Cleveland back in the 70's? IIRC he had a no no but that was the climax of a rather mediocre career
LOL, he was already dipping toward mediocrity when he threw his perfecto in 1981, before the strike. The Braves picked him up in 1983, but he spend a lot of time on the DL in 1984 and 1985.

Dallas Braden might be an apt comparison, but he was plagued by injuries after his perfecto. But Braden threw several complete games in his short career.