White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default More terrible umpiring

Nuts and bolts: Astros bring in left-handed reliever. Angels counter with right handed pinch hitter. Astros' lefty is pulled for right-handed reliever without throwing a pitch. That last part is not allowed. Dumb ass umps let it happen anyway...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3BtaA--;_ylv=3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
aryzner aryzner is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Posts: 2,369
Default

This is even worse than that botched review in that A's - Indians game from the other night.

Wow. Even some casual fans of the game probably know the rule in this situation.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,222
Default

Pathetic. Everybody knows that rule.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-2013, 04:33 PM
downstairs downstairs is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 4,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Pathetic. Everybody knows that rule.
Also, don't umps have the actual damn rulebook on them? Or at least somewhere in the stadium?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM
eriqjaffe eriqjaffe is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 2,980
Default

USA Today is tweeting that MLB is suspending Culbreth 2 games and fining the rest of the crew.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM
sox1970 sox1970 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
USA Today is tweeting that MLB is suspending Culbreth 2 games and fining the rest of the crew.
I'm pretty sure Culbreth is a good umpire, but I'm glad they're getting disciplined for making mistakes.

Now, can we get CB Bucknor, Angel Hernandez, and Joe West out of the game as soon as possible?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
USA Today is tweeting that MLB is suspending Culbreth 2 games and fining the rest of the crew.
Wow. All the times Hernandez, Bucknor and West have taken a **** on the game, and this is what gets a guy suspended?

Don't get me wrong, Culbreth botching this call deserves punishment, but there have been so many other times that MLB could have sent a message to its umpires and the fans that poor/lazy/biased officiating will not go unpunished, and they've never done so until now. Angel Hernandez has to be laughing his ass off right now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
eriqjaffe eriqjaffe is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 2,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Wow. All the times Hernandez, Bucknor and West have taken a **** on the game, and this is what gets a guy suspended?

Don't get me wrong, Culbreth botching this call deserves punishment, but there have been so many other times that MLB could have sent a message to its umpires and the fans that poor/lazy/biased officiating will not go unpunished, and they've never done so until now. Angel Hernandez has to be laughing his ass off right now.
The difference is that Hernandez botched a judgement call, while Culbreth screwed up a simple yes/no rule.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
The difference is that Hernandez botched a judgement call, while Culbreth screwed up a simple yes/no rule.
I get that, but discipline for umpires has always been kept private. This seems like a bizarre/poor time to make it public.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 PM
RadioheadRocks RadioheadRocks is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Home of the Dancing Banana!!!
Posts: 6,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
I get that, but discipline for umpires has always been kept private. This seems like a bizarre/poor time to make it public.

Maybe so, but then maybe this example will light a fire under some of those smug, pompous asses.
__________________
"Ooooh... I'm SHAKING in my BRIGHT YELLOW SHIRT!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Nuts and bolts: Astros bring in left-handed reliever. Angels counter with right handed pinch hitter. Astros' lefty is pulled for right-handed reliever without throwing a pitch. That last part is not allowed. Dumb ass umps let it happen anyway...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3BtaA--;_ylv=3
The difference here is that this game would have been replayed if the mistake would have cost the Angels the game.

Robot umpires wouldn't have prevented this mistake, though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Robot umpires wouldn't have prevented this mistake, though.
My baseball video games don't let me change pitchers without facing a batter so I'm pretty sure the robots would have caught this, too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:18 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
My baseball video games don't let me change pitchers without facing a batter so I'm pretty sure the robots would have caught this, too.
And Chessmaster whatever won't let you move a rook diagonally. Not allowing a move as part of an intricate program in a game you are playing is different than the higher-order thinking skills required to apply rules to a game others are playing.

For that matter, I doubt a robot umpire would apply the balk rule as consistently as human umpires do, and human umpires have plenty of room for improvement in that regard.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM
SOXSINCE'70 SOXSINCE'70 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: DEERFIELD
Posts: 5,018
Icon10

Was Mark Wegner involved??
__________________
White Sox baseball - CONtend,don't PREtend!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.