White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
WSI Regular

Default Angel Hernandez kicks another call

He blows an obvious game-tying HR with 2 outs in the ninth. After a discussion, he decides to review the play and blows it again even though the video shows a clear home run.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214

Why is it always the same umpires and why do they still have jobs?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's not always the same umpires.

It's just that when one blows a big call once, it becomes news when they do it again. If this were anyone but a "reputed" bad ump, no one would have a single clue what ump made the call.

It's how good you perceive the umpire to be. When calls like this get made, you want to say "Look, he sucks! Here's evidence!" and then you overlook the millions of good calls he's made between bad ones. Do some maybe make more frequent bad calls than others? Yes, but cherry picking to prove a point doesn't mean that overall they're "bad".
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

That is terrible. There is no excuse for that.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
It's not always the same umpires.

It's just that when one blows a big call once, it becomes news when they do it again. If this were anyone but a "reputed" bad ump, no one would have a single clue what ump made the call.

It's how good you perceive the umpire to be. When calls like this get made, you want to say "Look, he sucks! Here's evidence!" and then you overlook the millions of good calls he's made between bad ones. Do some maybe make more frequent bad calls than others? Yes, but cherry picking to prove a point doesn't mean that overall they're "bad".
I disagree. Just like some ballplayers are much better than others, it is the same with umpires. It shouldn't be but it is. It's true an umpire with a good reputation, like a Jim Joyce, can make a major blunder. However others like CB Bucknor, Joe West, and yes Angel Hernandez have proven over time to leave a lot to be desired.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd really like to hear how they called that a double! What replay were they watching that showed anything but the ball hitting the railing. Was it dimly lit in there? Were they using a grainy TV? Was the TV monitor 6 inches? Was it in black in white? Was there slow motion? Were they watching it through netting, covered in dirt, with sun glasses on, in complete darkness from 50 feet away?

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

There seems to be a lot of visual evidence to call that a homerun but instant replay is still a judgement call.

The other issue is Cleveland's left field wall. I understand the bars for protection of the fans but the padded wall in left doesn't need to be that high creating this mess. I've seen close calls like this because of the Sox playing so many games in Cleveland and I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM
WSI Personality

Bud Selig needs to overturn that call. I watched this game last night and I still can't believe this. Alot of the Indian players were even laughing.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
WSI Guru

I'd be shocked if Bud did anything.

Officials should be held accountable for what they do or not do and what they say...same as broadcasters, players and front office types.

I never understood why officials are considered off limits and why, when they are fined or suspended nothing is ever publicly said by the respective sport league.

Lip
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM
MMXXIII

Robot umpires, please

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I'd be shocked if Bud did anything.

Officials should be held accountable for what they do or not do and what they say...same as broadcasters, players and front office types.

I never understood why officials are considered off limits and why, when they are fined or suspended nothing is ever publicly said by the respective sport league.

Lip
I don't understand that either but I would gain some respect for Selig if he did overturn this.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

"Even with replay, Angel Hernandez got it wrong, and that's not really a surprise."
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't like this ruling for the obvious reasons, and also because it deprives a proud graduate of Western Michigan Univ., Adam Rosales, of a home run.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think what makes the call even worse is that Hernandez kicks Melvin out of the game during the argument.

Unless Melvin dropped some magic words during the conversation, his leash should have been limitless after Hernandez's booting the call.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Robot umpires, please
With pitch trax, there is already no need for a caller of balls and strikes.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
WSI Prelate

That's a world class bad call. Angel should be suspended for abject incompetence.