White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Kurkjian: The Sounds of Baseball

Nice piece by Tim Kurkjian ESPN

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/91...rs-perspective
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN.com
When runners do reach the next base, the conversations begin.

"'Dunner' [Adam Dunn of the White Sox] is the best talker in the world," says Royals outfielder Jeff Francoeur. "When I'm on first, he'll say to me, 'You don't have a big enough lead.' Or 'You have too big a lead.' He gets pissed when you make him jump off the bag and get in fielding position. It really pisses him off when you hit a double and he has to trail you to second. He's yelling at you the whole way for making him run to second."

Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche laughs and says of Dunn: "Adam will not shut up. He is always funny. He rarely talks about baseball. He will talk to whoever is around him. All the umpires know not to get within 50 yards of him. If there's no one around, I'm convinced Adam will talk to himself."
Dunn smiles and says: "I'm not going to be bored out there. When I'm bored, I'm out of here."
Who else is hoping he gets bored soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Pierzynski says: "Miguel Cabrera's bat makes the loudest sound. That's easy. He hit a ball last year that went so far -- about 520 feet to dead center field -- my ears are still ringing from that. After the inning, I had to go get my ears checked to see if they were bleeding."

AJ's comment actually reminds me of something Ted Williams asked Don Mattingly (and later Mark McGwire) about fouling off a pitch, although his question had more to do with smells than sounds. He asked Don, "When you foul a ball off, do you ever smell wood burning?"

Mattingly said, "Actually, yeah. It's happened two or three times. I've never told anyone because I thought no one would believe me."

Williams replied, "Only the guys who can really hit know what I'm talking about."

Last edited by RKMeibalane; 05-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Great article; I love "baseball behind the scenes" stuff like that.