White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Using Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Rivera to argue the Yankees have been good at developing players in 2013 is as silly as me saying the Sox are doing fine because they developed the Big Hurt, Ventura, McDowell, Alex Fernandez!!!

Yes, the Yankees have been a bit better than the Sox at developing their own in that they have 1 good player come out of their farm system in the past 20 years, but this idea that they have some kind of magic Talent Pipeline is silly. The Yankees don't build from within, for as long as I can remember they've won because money is no object to them. You don't have to have a good farm system when you're willing to absorb any deal or outbid anybody for even marginal player's services.

Also, they cheat.
I don't think I did that. I stated " I realize not all are close to recent." I just think they've done a better job than the Sox in recent years, and have in the past had a more than productive farm system. Right now some so called experts say the Yanks farm system is one of the better ones in the AL. Yes I hate them too, and for a much longer period of time. They scarred my youth more than once.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
And the one season in the last three that the Giants didn't win the World Series they couldn't afford to lose Buster Posey.

If you are complaining about the White Sox sustaining an unusual high number of injuries and not being able to deal with losing so many players to injury, you simply aren't paying attention to the rest of major league baseball.
I believe I stated Is that true? Wouldn't it take a little bit of time and research to confirm or refute that? I have no idea myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
As is the case with posters on many issues here. "The Sox do this and that and get screwed," etc., people say, without any comparison to the other 29 teams.
See above response. I did state that in their history the Sox have usually had trouble with quality depth, so when a major contributor went down it hurt them. I stand by that. I never said the Sox were unluckier than other teams or that the league or any other force was conspiring against them. Seriously guys, have at my posts. At least read them before you do.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

I found this list of rankings for the Yankees farm system in the last 10 years.

2004: 27th
2005: 24th
2006: 17th
2007: 4th
2008: 6th
2009: 13th
2010: 26th
2011: 4th
2012: 15th
2013: 11th

If I have time I'll try to get more info. It's obvious the Yanks haven't been as productive as they once were, but even with that they appear to be doing better than the Sox. In any system prospects are what they are. Prospects, most of whom will either fail or succeed marginally.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I found this list of rankings for the Yankees farm system in the last 10 years.

2004: 27th
2005: 24th
2006: 17th
2007: 4th
2008: 6th
2009: 13th
2010: 26th
2011: 4th
2012: 15th
2013: 11th

If I have time I'll try to get more info. It's obvious the Yanks haven't been as productive as they once were, but even with that they appear to be doing better than the Sox. In any system prospects are what they are. Prospects, most of whom will either fail or succeed marginally.
I'd be more interested in seeing how many prospects the Yankees' farm system has successfully graduated and developed (and/or traded for talent) than in their offseason rankings, which are more arbitrary. For example, was it 2001 when the White Sox farm system was ranked #1? But, as I believe Frater said earlier in the thread, a half dozen or so pitchers ended up with torn labrums, and none of them had any long-term success; only the surprise Mark Buehrle comes to mind, besides outfielders Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I believe I stated Is that true? Wouldn't it take a little bit of time and research to confirm or refute that? I have no idea myself.

See above response. I did state that in their history the Sox have usually had trouble with quality depth, so when a major contributor went down it hurt them. I stand by that. I never said the Sox were unluckier than other teams or that the league or any other force was conspiring against them. Seriously guys, have at my posts. At least read them before you do.
I thought what I posted was self-evidently true, that annually most players disabled don't play for the White Sox. Others have posted in this thread and others how White Sox disabled-list use compares historically with other teams' disabled-list use. I didn't think it was necessary to make that point.

But it is easy for me to believe the White Sox haven't been injured as much as other teams have in recent history because I watch other teams that have bigger injury problems year after year. Complaining about injuries derailing seasons and some inherent dark cloud hanging over the franchise doesn't resonate with me in part because when their greatest franchise star was last injured for most of the season, the White Sox went on to win the World Series after leading the American League in wins. Some might still want to complain about Paul Edmonson, who had that one great game in his major league debut in 1969 (although it wasn't as impressive as the three-hit shutout Jerry Janeski threw against the A's the following April), but it really isn't relevant to 2013.

Most teams have problems with depth in 2013. That is why Dewayne Wise was the starting left fielder for baseball's most storied franchise for a time last summer. That is why a team one year removed and one year out from winning the World Series would employ Chris Stewart as its starting catcher. I haven't checked out the Yankees in a week, but it wouldn't surprise me if Chris Stewart is now the Yankees starting catcher.

If you don't pay attention to other teams or don't care about other teams you won't have noticed that they have injuries, and their complaining about injuries costing their team their successes are common and even a bit tiresome.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Peavy's scratched for Monday now too. Back still giving him problems even after getting treatment.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...t-get-nod.html
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Mark Gonzales
Peavy ready for Wednesday
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Mark Gonzales
Peavy ready for Wednesday
Phew. I'm going Friday and Saturday, I hope Sale is going on Saturday, even with the off-day Thursday.