White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Floyd's injury is a blessing in disguise at this point (beyond him being healthy to get something for him in trade). He's been the most disappointing player on the team. He hasn't even been medicore. He's just bad. Whatever you think of Santiago, he's a much better option than Floyd at this point.
He's not even close

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post

I'd add that the Sox have created a weird atmosphere in the park. The two bad pregame videos have already been talked about him a lot so I won't get into that outside of saying they they need to be permanently removed (and the person/people responsible for them need to answer for really bad judgement). What was striking, though, was the odd way music was used. All the little music cuts were just incessant throughout the game, regardless of the situation. Some were just horribly out of place and inappropriate. It smacked of a minor league game meets Bozo's Circus. For some reason and despite all their surveys, the Sox seem to be rapidly losing their way in how to present a ballgame.
This! The last couple times I was at the park, it was just a bizarre atmosphere. Nobody really seemed to want to be there. Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe it's the lousy product that has been on the field, but something just feels "off". Amazing how quickly this organization killed the energy that was in the park in the few years following '05.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 04-29-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
This! The last couple times I was at the park, it was just a bizarre atmosphere. Nobody really seemed to want to be there. Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe it's the lousy product that has been on the field, but something just feels "off". Amazing how quickly this organization killed the energy that was in the park in the few years following '05.
I was there yesterday and it definitely does feel off. If they weren't going to keep the "Pirates" video they should have come up with something better or at least as good. I didn't even realize the video was on until it was basically over.

Oh, and they ran out of damn corn in the 6th inning? Opening Day I can understand, but on a Sunday with the place a little more than half full?

At this point I am happy I only bought a 7-game plan. Once a month seems about right. If it gets really bad I may give away my tickets later in the season.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI Personality

Default I Smell A Rat

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I joined WSI in 2003. IIRC, "dark cloud" or "pants pissing dark cloud" began being used in 2005 to mock the people who were cynical despite the Sox remaining in first place throughout the year. The "dark clouds" were out in force in August and September 2005, when the Sox were playing .500, the Indians were playing .900, and the lead shrunk from 15 games to 1.5 games.

IMHO, the proper context to call someone a "dark cloud" is if/when he/she is crapping all over a first place club, or one that has a winning record and is within striking distance of first place.

Expressing cynicism during a losing season is entirely appropriate. Just don't overdo it.
I didn't even mind the dark clouds in '05, dropping a 15 game lead in September is cause for some cynicism. I just remember the WSI from '01-'03, lots of smart, balanced, insightful debate. Then the "prospect experts" starting showing up, these guys who supposedly knew everything about every Sox prospect - things just started to decline from there, and you entered the era where everyone who posted anything on the Internet was all of a sudden a genius or expert, and message boards just started losing their luster IMO.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

**** I didn't hit quote, this is in response to the place feeling "off".

I keep saying it (and I know why the Sox do it), but half of the park is always closed. Little kid walked in yesterday, saw the Shoeless Joe stand, was all excited to get something to eat from there.........and it was closed. Yeah he eventually got his dog or slice, but ***.

Also, there is really one "fan favorite" position player on the team, and he hardly plays the field anymore (Paulie).

The pre-game stuff is BRUTALLY BORING, that doesn't help. We don't really need a pride crew member screeching incoherently into the mic a half hour before the game starts.

And let's face it, the team itself is boring. If they're down a few runs mid-game, the concourse becomes a meeting place and 400 people MIGHT still be watching the game. I feel like I'd get "shushed" if I started making noise.

Last edited by Jerko; 04-29-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
You could not be more right. It really is kinda just blah at the Cell these days, and has been for a couple years, even when the team was in first last year.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
I keep saying it (and I know why the Sox do it), but half of the park is always closed. Little kid walked in yesterday, saw the Shoeless Joe stand, was all excited to get something to eat from there.........and it was closed. Yeah he eventually got his dog or slice, but ***.
The bleachers were packed yesterday and the beer stand by 160-161 was closed. I don't get it.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Thief View Post
The bleachers were packed yesterday and the beer stand by 160-161 was closed. I don't get it.
It's like they don't even want anyone to come, and want the people there to not come back.

This franchise is getting more moronic by the year. Unless my partners still want in, I will be canceling my season tickets after this year.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
We don't really need a pride crew member screeching incoherently into the mic a half hour before the game starts.
Yes. Just one of countless examples of the Sox not getting it. When I say the "Sox" I mean the marketing people and those who oversee them who don't have any feeling for the game and the people who attend it. The fact that they're still playing the two bad pregame videos smacks of the out-of-touch arrogance that finally got Rob Gallas canned.

Another thing weird thing about Saturday's atmosphere was the relentless showing of fans on the scoreboard. Now I have nothing against showing some fans on the scoreboard throughout the game. But this was something else. It was neverending to the point where the game became an inconvenience to putting a parade of fans on the scoreboard.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
**** I didn't hit quote, this is in response to the place feeling "off".

Also, there is really one "fan favorite" position player on the team, and he hardly plays the field anymore (Paulie).

The pre-game stuff is BRUTALLY BORING, that doesn't help. We don't really need a pride crew member screeching incoherently into the mic a half hour before the game starts.

And let's face it, the team itself is boring. If they're down a few runs mid-game, the concourse becomes a meeting place and 400 people MIGHT still be watching the game. I feel like I'd get "shushed" if I started making noise.
I emailed Brooks this morning- and shared my feedback on seeing the new opening video that replace the montage- (my feedback was consistent with most of the posts on the topic here)- he replied that one of their goals was to make the new one "shorter" than the old one.

I shared that most of the people around me at the game didn't like it, and that I don't know any Sox fans (real life or WSI) that like the change- his reply was that they are getting "overwhelingly positive feedback via social media".

I give up.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I emailed Brooks this morning- and shared my feedback on seeing the new opening video that replace the montage- (my feedback was consistent with most of the posts on the topic here)- he replied that one of their goals was to make the new one "shorter" than the old one.

I shared that most of the people around me at the game didn't like it, and that I don't know any Sox fans (real life or WSI) that like the change- his reply was that they are getting "overwhelingly positive feedback via social media".

I give up.
Boyer's response is both funny and sad.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
his reply was that they are getting "overwhelingly positive feedback via social media".
Well, that should be fairly easy to prove/disprove.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Guru

How?

I'd be curious myself if it's fans at WSI that are "out of touch" or if something in the style of Chicago politics is going on with the claim.

Lip
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It's like they don't even want anyone to come, and want the people there to not come back.

This franchise is getting more moronic by the year. Unless my partners still want in, I will be canceling my season tickets after this year.
It amazes me how badly the Sox do everything possible to alienate their fans. I had a partial season ticket for about 5 years, dropped out last year, and came back in this year after they dropped prices. At this rate, I'll just drop out again this year and buy a few really nice seats on stubhub next year for a handful of games.