White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI Regular

Default Another Gem: Historical Footage of 1976 White Sox Game

There's a ton of cool stuff on the Mediaburn site. They have hours of video from Bill Veeck's career dating back to the 1950's. It includes raw footage from when a documentary-maker followed Veeck around during 1978 spring training. Among other things, it shows Veeck trying to get a message to Fidel Castro as part of a scheme to conduct part of spring training in Cuba.

They also have part of the 1959 World Series film, narrated by Vin Scully and several of those "Memorable Moments in Chicago Sports" segments that WGN used to show during Cubs rain delays.

Also this gem: The last couple innings of a random Sox telecast from September 1976 -- a blowout loss to the Twins. You really get a sense for how gritty and uninviting the old park looked in those days -- especially on a cold September night with only a few hundred fans in the stands.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

That '76 Sox broadcast was a major blast from the past--you ought to start a thread just for it so folks will know it's on here. Alan Bannister, Bart Johnson, Jim Spencer, Larry Monroe (!). And Old Comiskey certainly did look grim--what really stood out to me was how unkempt the infield looked compared to the pristine care we've gotten used to over the decades.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procol Harum View Post
That '76 Sox broadcast was a major blast from the past--you ought to start a thread just for it so folks will know it's on here. Alan Bannister, Bart Johnson, Jim Spencer, Larry Monroe (!). And Old Comiskey certainly did look grim--what really stood out to me was how unkempt the infield looked compared to the pristine care we've gotten used to over the decades.
That Hamms beer commercial was pretty hilarious.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And the late Lymon Bostock...

Harry almost sounds too coherent here, as if someone has sped up the tape. I suppose most surviving footage of Harry dates from later in the 70s (and from the Cub era) so we've all forgotten he used to be on top of his game.

I still love the Bill Veeck-era uniforms...
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
Harry almost sounds too coherent here, as if someone has sped up the tape. I suppose most surviving footage of Harry dates from later in the 70s (and from the Cub era) so we've all forgotten he used to be on top of his game.

There are many out there that never heard Harry (only clips) till his cub days. He was a very good announcer.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM
WSI Guru

Knock yourself out listening to Harry's days with the Sox from back in the 70's. Audio cuts start with the 72 season:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/r...ory=14&id=2361

Lip
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!

Did you notice future NL Cy Young winner Pete Vuckovich warming up in our bullpen in the 9th?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
WSI Prelate

That Hamms beer commercial was fantastic.It was interesting to see Harry mention how the Sox were going to struggle to draw 1 million fans that year (he said they were at 800,000 which would have outdrawn their 1975 attendance). The distance was marked in feet and in meters down the lines. Also at one point Harry mentioned that Paul Richards left the game, I guess that gives you a good idea of how bad the 1976 White Sox were.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Ain't that the truth!

Did you notice future NL Cy Young winner Pete Vuckovich warming up in our bullpen in the 9th?
Pete did win the CYA award for the Brewers, but they played in the American League at the time. Later on, he tore the rotator cuff in his shoulder and caught on with the Yankees at 1st Base.

MLB should have moved the Brewers back to the AL this year, instead of the Astros. Now we have 2 teams with dual league histories. Or they could have done the season long inter-league play from the start in '97.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
There are many out there that never heard Harry (only clips) till his cub days. He was a very good announcer.
One of the all time best.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Personality

The Cycle used to be known as the "Scale"?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
One of the all time best.
When I was kid and the Sox werent playing at night, I used to listen to Harry do stl on the radio sometimes. Im not knocking Elson but Harry was terrific doing radio also.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushMouth View Post
The Cycle used to be known as the "Scale"?
Late-inning Harry Carey might not be the best source for old-time terminology. After hearing him mention some weird 13 run pool 3-4 times, I get the impression that he may have had a few Hamm's that game.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
After hearing him mention some weird 13 run pool 3-4 times, I get the impression that he may have had a few Hamm's that game.
Not necessarily.
Being in 13run pools was very popular.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
When I was kid and the Sox werent playing at night, I used to listen to Harry do stl on the radio sometimes. Im not knocking Elson but Harry was terrific doing radio also.
I did the same thing.