White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default Thomas Speaks Up Again...

Talks about the latest PED situation in MLB:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...all-fame-entry

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Dibbs Dibbs is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Downers Grove
Posts: 1,894
Default

I love Frank Thomas. Can't wait to get back to Cooperstown.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Marqhead's Avatar
Marqhead Marqhead is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Shadow of the Sears Tower
Posts: 8,408
Default

Great comments, I'm going to plan a trip for his induction.
__________________


Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Irishsox1 Irishsox1 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,016
Default

Frank will make the hall of fame and the anti-steroid stance will only make it easier. Yes, at the time he received a lot of criticism from the media for calling out these guys but it turned out to be the smart move.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Madvora Madvora is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,858
Default

There's still some idiots in the comments section thinking he used steroids.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
There's still some idiots in the comments section thinking he used steroids.
Unfortunately, there will always be. There are some people who, no matter what kind of information you give them, refuse to believe anyone but themselves. Common sense is an endangered species.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,737
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Unfortunately, there will always be. There are some people who, no matter what kind of information you give them, refuse to believe anyone but themselves. Common sense is an endangered species.
I don't know, I personally don't think he ever took steroids, but it's not like impossible to think he did. Basically everyone in baseball was juicing in the '90s. Unfortunately, everyone is a suspect.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Three guys who should be beyond suspision...Thomas, Griffey Jr. and Thome.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know, I personally don't think he ever took steroids, but it's not like impossible to think he did. Basically everyone in baseball was juicing in the '90s. Unfortunately, everyone is a suspect.
I agree, but I would hope that people would be able to look at the evidence and draw the appropriate conclusion. Frank's a big man, but he's always been that much bigger than his years. I remember watching the '93 AS Game in Baltimore, and CBS had an interview with his former Little League coach. During the interview, they showed a team photo, and Frank was by far the biggest kid on a team of twelve-year-olds. What's more, Thomas freely admits that he's the smallest person in his family (his sisters are bigger than he is), so it's not as though his size makes him an oddity.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Three guys who should be beyond suspision...Thomas, Griffey Jr. and Thome.

Lip
Why do you say Thome? Personally, I don't think he juiced, but he maintained his power past a player's usual physical prime.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Thome's size never changed dramatically, he was consistently good for a long period of time and his character (personal resume if you will with charity work, willingness to help teammates, interact with fans) all say to me he would be repulsed by even the notion of using PED's.

Met him briefly in 06 and was very impressed, have also been told how hard he worked to stay physically fit and overcome his back issues in his later years.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,087
Default

When Thomas was still playing for the White Sox, an A's beat writer from the Contra Costa paper accused him of being on steroids. When he played for the A's, there was no question in the local media that Thomas was clean. What is insidious about the use of performance-enhancing drugs is that people, many of whom should know better, accuse players without cause because that's what they want to believe. Thomas' numbers aren't cause. As he told a reporter after his future lineup protection was caught having used a corked bat, he doesn't need to cheat because he works hard.

I used to think Thomas wouldn't make the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Reporters didn't particularly like him and vice versa. The media used to take cheap shots at him, and he made it easy for them to do so. Not that first-ballot Hall of Famers are in a special wing. Carlton Fisk wasn't a first-ballot inductee. Luke Appling, the previous greatest hitter in White Sox history, got less than 5 percent of votes in his early years on the ballot. Nellie Fox was a Veterans Committee selection.

But I think the five-year wait has allowed baseball people to appreciate what Frank Thomas was to the era he played. I think he contrasts against players with hollow numbers. I also think his comments may signal that less than clean players aren't going to get a break from the Veterans Committee.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When Thomas was still playing for the White Sox, an A's beat writer from the Contra Costa paper accused him of being on steroids. When he played for the A's, there was no question in the local media that Thomas was clean. What is insidious about the use of performance-enhancing drugs is that people, many of whom should know better, accuse players without cause because that's what they want to believe. Thomas' numbers aren't cause. As he told a reporter after his future lineup protection was caught having used a corked bat, he doesn't need to cheat because he works hard.

I used to think Thomas wouldn't make the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Reporters didn't particularly like him and vice versa. The media used to take cheap shots at him, and he made it easy for them to do so. Not that first-ballot Hall of Famers are in a special wing. Carlton Fisk wasn't a first-ballot inductee. Luke Appling, the previous greatest hitter in White Sox history, got less than 5 percent of votes in his early years on the ballot. Nellie Fox was a Veterans Committee selection.

But I think the five-year wait has allowed baseball people to appreciate what Frank Thomas was to the era he played. I think he contrasts against players with hollow numbers. I also think his comments may signal that less than clean players aren't going to get a break from the Veterans Committee.
I think Thomas' problems with the media had more to do with how the Chicago media chose to portray him than anything else. Frank didn't help himself by talking openly and honestly about his contract or how he thought the Sox should have handled his departure after 2005, but the media chose to represent him in a negative light, all the while making excuses for Sosa because he blew kisses at TV cameras and ran around in circles waving to drunken fans in the right field bleachers.

After Thomas went to Oakland, his problems with reporters seemed to vanish, almost overnight. I don't remember any unfavorable stories being written about him by the folks in the Bay Area, nor do I remember anyone in Toronto having trouble with him. Both places seemed genuinely happy to have a player of Frank's caliber in their midst, and they treated him with more respect than the Chicago media did for much of his career. Now that Thomas has spent time himself as a part of the media (working as an analyst for CSN, for example), I think people have had a chance to appreciate the kind of person he is, and that much of what he said that was taken the wrong way (often deliberately) was the result of his wearing his heart on his sleeve, rather than his trying to pick a fight with anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,214
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I think Thomas' problems with the media had more to do with how the Chicago media chose to portray him than anything else. Frank didn't help himself by talking openly and honestly about his contract or how he thought the Sox should have handled his departure after 2005, but the media chose to represent him in a negative light, all the while making excuses for Sosa because he blew kisses at TV cameras and ran around in circles waving to drunken fans in the right field bleachers.

After Thomas went to Oakland, his problems with reporters seemed to vanish, almost overnight. I don't remember any unfavorable stories being written about him by the folks in the Bay Area, nor do I remember anyone in Toronto having trouble with him. Both places seemed genuinely happy to have a player of Frank's caliber in their midst, and they treated him with more respect than the Chicago media did for much of his career. Now that Thomas has spent time himself as a part of the media (working as an analyst for CSN, for example), I think people have had a chance to appreciate the kind of person he is, and that much of what he said that was taken the wrong way (often deliberately) was the result of his wearing his heart on his sleeve, rather than his trying to pick a fight with anyone.
I'll go further than that. Frank's problems in the media were almost exclusively the result of an overwhelmingly virulent anti-Sox, pro-Cubs bias, in Chicago sports media, for reasons that have been well documented here and elsewhere.

The anti-Sox, pro-Cubs bias was so overwhelming that it was almost invisible, like the 78% Nitrogen in our atmosphere. And it didn't help that so many members of the media, for self-serving reasons, and/or because they were delusional, denied that the bias existed.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,037
Default

Thomas first competed with Chicagos all time media darling, jordan. Then came sosa who was also golden till the corked bat. It really was a shame because Thomas was Chicagos best ball player since Ernie Banks. He basically was a good guy, sure he made some bad business decisions and divorces but thats part of life. He is a well spoken educated guy who if played 10 years earlier would have been a darling.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.