White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I agree. This team will not bottom out like the 2007 bunch. I see the 2009 similarities a lot more. The '09 bunch had solid pitching but holes in the lineup as well as the defense. They struggled to hit most of the year with RISP, climbed themselves back into the division hunt during the summer, but never could get over the hump. They ultimately were sunk by a disaster road trip in early September and finished a few games under .500. This year's Sox team has hit about as poor as you can possibly hit. They are built around HRs and many of these are dying out at the warning track and getting knocked down by the wind. In the last four or five games, I've seen a bunch of Sox hitters take the ball deep to the track only to have the cold and wind knock it down. Things will improve on offense with the weather, but we need big turnarounds by Dunn and Keppinger as well as healthy returns of Beckham, Danks, and Tank if we are to have a shot.
No they didn't, they had a rotation where Jose Contreras (who was coming of a torn achilles) was rushed back and Bartolo Colon (a guy who hadn't pitched more than 100 innings in four years) as their 4-5 starters. The 2009 team was doomed from the start because Kenny didn't bother to go out and add two starters.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
And let's also not pretend like you probably couldn't point to AT LEAST three games last September that Robin made a pretty, eh, shall we call it bizarre, managerial decision that could have cost the Sox? I'm not saying he was the sole problem with the crash and burn September the Sox had last year, but it's not like his moves weren't backfiring, either.

Guy was great from April to August. He went into a funk with everyone else.
What happened in September of last year was that Robin's complete lack of experience coaching at any level of professional baseball started to show. I think he panicked a bit and started to over think things. I am not saying that the collapse was totally Robin's fault, but his inexperience contributed.

Robin has mad some questionable decisions but then again the bigger problem seems to be that the roster pretty much sucks.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Certainly Ozzie Guillen wasn't a great first-year manager. His first years in Chicago and Miami didn't gain any disciples.
I should tread lightly here because I don't want to reopen some old wounds, but I thought Ozzie was OK as a manager in 04. The next 4 years after that too.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I should tread lightly here because I don't want to reopen some old wounds, but I thought Ozzie was OK as a manager in 04. The next 4 years after that too.
I agree, that '04 team gets forgotten, OBVIOUSLY, by their successors but I think they would have been very competitive late into the season if they didn't lose Frank and Magglio almost at the exact same time, IIRC.

I don't care how good your team is, you lose your #3 and #4 hitters for the season and that will do a lot of teams in.

IIRC, things really started to go downhill with Ozzie around the time his one son got fired from the video department (or whatever he was doing) for being an idiot on Twitter. That's I think the point I think at which Ozzie just lost his damn mind and never returned.