White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
The Sox will likely be under new ownership by the time the current lease at the Cell expires. Regardless, I don't think there is any way in hell the Sox will get any more state money toward a new stadium. Once the current lease ends in 2027, I think the Sox can say goodbye to their current sweetheart lease deal.

If the Sox are such a shoestring operation that an investment to upgrade the scoreboard would come if they sacrificed any effort to infuse more talent into this organization, then that's just pathetic.
It sure is. But that's the way it will be. As he nears the end of his life JR is thinking of his "legacy," defined by him as success in business, meaning how much money he made -- for himself, for his family, for his investors -- from owning the team. He will leave that fortune to his descendants, chosen charities, or whatever. Not one penny of that "legacy" will ever be put back into the team -- that's our job, fools, to create something above the rate of return he wants. If the team doesn't produce, resuting in the fans not producing this excess ROR, well that's their fault and ours, but it changes nothing. He got the sweetheart stadium deal of MLB history, six Bulls championships and one World Series ring. He's blissfully content and nothing will change until he's gone.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
It sure is. But that's the way it will be. As he nears the end of his life JR is thinking of his "legacy," defined by him as success in business, meaning how much money he made -- for himself, for his family, for his investors -- from owning the team. He will leave that fortune to his descendants, chosen charities, or whatever. Not one penny of that "legacy" will ever be put back into the team -- that's our job, fools, to create something above the rate of return he wants. If the team doesn't produce, resuting in the fans not producing this excess ROR, well that's their fault and ours, but it changes nothing. He got the sweetheart stadium deal of MLB history, six Bulls championships and one World Series ring. He's blissfully content and nothing will change until he's gone.
Any guesses as to whether or not the Reinsdorf family would sell when Jerry passes? I certainly don't wish ill will upon JR, but I sometimes wonder if there wouldn't be a complete overhaul of the team - ala the Blackhawks - when ownership is passed to one of his kids.

Alternatively, I wonder if the Sox wouldn't benefit from a sale. It seems like most recent franchise purchases have been made by extremely wealthy ownership groups who likely view their teams, in part, as vanity projects and understand that capital investments need to be made even if attendance doesn't always support them.

I think the Sox organization would greatly benefit from a complete restructuring. It's almost criminal that they couldn't capitalize on the city's first WS championship in any of our lifetimes. I know that Sox fans are culpable as well, but they really don't do us many favors.

But back to the scoreboard - it may seem like an odd thing to fret about, but as someone else pointed out, it reflects poorly on the organization and, IMO, makes the entire product feel...cheap. Given that a scoreboard upgrade would probably increase ad revenue, it'd probably pay for itself in due time.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
I don't see it happening and think the Sox will be at USCF for a very LONG time. I could see them doing more renovations or building a new park where it currently stands.
I agree with this and hope that a new owner decides to build new rather than extend the current lease. But my guess as to what will happen is that the Sox and the State will negotiate another lease extension that is extremely beneficial to the Sox. While the State probably can't afford to build anyone a new stadium, they also can't afford to let the Sox move out of the stadium and create a vacancy that is literally impossible to fill.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Future

If the White Sox get new ownership in the future, it certainly won't be some poor person buying the team. I could be wrong but isn't Rocky Wirtz one of the investors in the White Sox?. From what I know he has been a lifelong White Sox fan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wirtz buy the White Sox and the rest of the Bulls and United Center holdings that are owned by Reinsdorf. I read somewhere that Reinsdorf owns 20% of the White Sox, 20% of the Bulls and a percentage of the United Center. I'm sure Rocky Wirtz would like to buy all 3
holdings from Reinsdorf. Doing so would make the White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks worth some serious TV money in the future. Sportsvision didn't do well the first time around, but Chicago wasn't wired for cable back then like it is now. I do wish JR would be more specific as to what will happen in the future to the White Sox franchise.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

A few things here. I don't think it's an issue of new scoreboard vs investment on payroll. The scoreboard is virtually its own business. Enhanced ad revenue should more than pay for a new board. I remember reading that the lower panel, currently showing the Vienna Beef sign had to be discounted after the Fan Deck blocked the view of it from good stretches of the lower bowl. Raising the board, incorporating the fixed panels into the active screen and retooling or eliminating the old black and white left field board should allow lots of new ad revenue. The only question that's out there is can they sell it.

I also don't think it's a matter of why bother, we're out of this park in ten years, since that's about the life span of these boards anyway. I do think we are about ten years away from talk of a new park, again looking at the average lifespan of ballparks. We are already the 9th oldest or so. The State may not give a darn about what to do with the old park. It will be paid for by then. They don't get any rent from it. ( That token $1.5 million is nonsense when you look at the mandatory maintenance dollars they have to pony up annually.) The tax revenue that was set up to pay for it is scheduled to be siphoned off to pay the debt service of the Soldier Field renovation. Tough to predict what will happen ten years from now, but expect models of the new Las Vegas, or Charlotte, or Portland White Sox stadium to be trotted out.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
A few things here. I don't think it's an issue of new scoreboard vs investment on payroll. The scoreboard is virtually its own business. Enhanced ad revenue should more than pay for a new board. I remember reading that the lower panel, currently showing the Vienna Beef sign had to be discounted after the Fan Deck blocked the view of it from good stretches of the lower bowl. Raising the board, incorporating the fixed panels into the active screen and retooling or eliminating the old black and white left field board should allow lots of new ad revenue. The only question that's out there is can they sell it.

I also don't think it's a matter of why bother, we're out of this park in ten years, since that's about the life span of these boards anyway. I do think we are about ten years away from talk of a new park, again looking at the average lifespan of ballparks. We are already the 9th oldest or so. The State may not give a darn about what to do with the old park. It will be paid for by then. They don't get any rent from it. ( That token $1.5 million is nonsense when you look at the mandatory maintenance dollars they have to pony up annually.) The tax revenue that was set up to pay for it is scheduled to be siphoned off to pay the debt service of the Soldier Field renovation. Tough to predict what will happen ten years from now, but expect models of the new Las Vegas, or Charlotte, or Portland White Sox stadium to be trotted out.
Unless the cable tv model changes dramatically in the next ten years, I don't think the Sox are a serious threat to leave the Chicago market. With these new tv deals, these teams in large markets are making more money from tv than attendance.

Therefore, I think it's much more likely we'll be seeing models of the Schaumburg, Rosemont, or Tinley Park White Sox stadiums than the Vegas, Charlotte or Portland
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
Unless the cable tv model changes dramatically in the next ten years, I don't think the Sox are a serious threat to leave the Chicago market. With these new tv deals, these teams in large markets are making more money from tv than attendance.

Therefore, I think it's much more likely we'll be seeing models of the Schaumburg, Rosemont, or Tinley Park White Sox stadiums than the Vegas, Charlotte or Portland
The Sox are going nowhere. Just because the lease is up doesn't mean they're likely to move. There is no public money to pay for the park and the team ain't ponying up the cash themselves.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The Sox are going nowhere. Just because the lease is up doesn't mean they're likely to move. There is no public money to pay for the park and the team ain't ponying up the cash themselves.
2026 is a long way off and look at Rosemont, they were willing to do it for the other chicago team now. Dont be so sure of what can and cant be done.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
2026 is a long way off and look at Rosemont, they were willing to do it for the other chicago team now. Dont be so sure of what can and cant be done.
Rosemont was nothing but a distraction.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Rosemont was nothing but a distraction.

Im not so sure about that on Rosemonts side of it. This is a village whose streets are lined with gold.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Im not so sure about that on Rosemonts side of it. This is a village whose streets are lined with gold.
I doubt even Rosemont had the money to pay for a stadium. And I doubt the Cubs were ever serious about it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I doubt even Rosemont had the money to pay for a stadium. And I doubt the Cubs were ever serious about it.
Im telling you Rosemont is flat out loaded,regarding the cubs I totally agree.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I agree, I just think that the sox will try to use suburban locations as leverage to secure favorable lease terms.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Any guesses as to whether or not the Reinsdorf family would sell when Jerry passes? I certainly don't wish ill will upon JR, but I sometimes wonder if there wouldn't be a complete overhaul of the team - ala the Blackhawks - when ownership is passed to one of his kids.
Everything I have ever read has suggested Jerry's son Michael wants to keep the Bulls but sell the Sox.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Even the Sox know moving north of Madison would be suicide, not even considering the fight the Cubs would put up. The 355 corridor on the other hand...probably wouldn't work either considering the lack of public trans and recent downtown population boom, but its a thought.