White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the Worst Big Name or Free Agent Signing in White Sox History?
Adam Dunn- .184/.311/.695 over 2+ seasons 58 32.77%
Steve Sax- .236/.289/.603, ended up in LF 4 2.26%
Cory Snyder- .188/.228/.527- completely lost w/WSox 5 2.82%
Jaime Navarro- 25-43, 6.06 ERA, 1.69 WHIP 100 56.50%
Ron Bloomberg- .231-5-22, 3 years, $600K guaranteed 4 2.26%
Other? 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
I don't know if this been considered: What about send Dunn to AAA for awhile and get intense coaching and a chance to (hopefully) destroy AAA pitching. Figure out what needs to be figured out for awhile, and if he has success with that assignment, come back to the big leagues.
Maybe Dunn has to OK this, but how could he not have the integrity, at this point, to do whats right for the team as well as any hope of productive
MLB career. What else is there to do besides ride the bench?
Dunn refuses to work out, get in shape, and take swings in the offseason. What makes you think he'd do anything professional during the season? He has an AWFUL work ethic.
Also, If he were willing to sacrifice during a season, don't you think at some point against shift he'd slow down bat speed and slap or bunt a hit (prob a double) down 3rd base line?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 AM
WSI Regular

Other - Dewayne Wise
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
Dunn refuses to work out, get in shape, and take swings in the offseason. What makes you think he'd do anything professional during the season? He has an AWFUL work ethic.
Also, If he were willing to sacrifice during a season, don't you think at some point against shift he'd slow down bat speed and slap or bunt a hit (prob a double) down 3rd base line?
This. He refuses to change his approach, and it's painful to watch. Time to sit him down - maybe he can get his head back, because we're not going to find any takers...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Even though in this day and age, it won't happen, i think a trip to Charlotte couldn't hurt .. i've seen it happen in the past when players in the starting lineup were sent down because they were absolutely lost offensively, much as Dunn is today .. i was wondering what would happen to his contract if the White Sox were to release him outright (which i think is highly unlikely) .. does his contract then become void and leave open the possibility of some team signing him to a base salary contract? .. management would have to be wary of him changing teams only to have him become a productive player .. also, i believe that there is no chance that Dunn will retire mid-season .. possibly after the season is over, if things continue the way they are .. at any rate, he definitely should be hitting lower in the batting order..
Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
Even though in this day and age, it won't happen, i think a trip to Charlotte couldn't hurt .. i've seen it happen in the past when players in the starting lineup were sent down because they were absolutely lost offensively, much as Dunn is today .. i was wondering what would happen to his contract if the White Sox were to release him outright (which i think is highly unlikely) .. does his contract then become void and leave open the possibility of some team signing him to a base salary contract? .. management would have to be wary of him changing teams only to have him become a productive player .. also, i believe that there is no chance that Dunn will retire mid-season .. possibly after the season is over, if things continue the way they are .. at any rate, he definitely should be hitting lower in the batting order..
What happens if Dunn is told he is being sent down, and he refuses to report? Do the Sox gain any leverage?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfan View Post
What happens if Dunn is told he is being sent down, and he refuses to report? Do the Sox gain any leverage?
His contract is 100% guaranteed for this year and next year. He's not going anywhere unless he is outright released and then the team is on the hook for his salary anyways. What they need to do is bench his butt and at least get some production from the AB he is wasting.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfan View Post
No, if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to go.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM
WSI Regular

I heard several times yesterday that Dunn has changed his approach. What are they talking about?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Prelate

It's scary to think Dunn has been so bad that we'd be better off with Mark Kotsay or Darin Erstad.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
This. He refuses to change his approach, and it's painful to watch. Time to sit him down - maybe he can get his head back, because we're not going to find any takers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrouch View Post
I heard several times yesterday that Dunn has changed his approach. What are they talking about?
He has changed his approach. They have him swinging a little later. It needs to stop.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
What they need to do is bench his butt and at least get some production from the AB he is wasting.
If you bench him the team is essentially playing with 24. Hes not a pinch runner, pinch hitter or defensive replacement. The Sox bench is already full of non major league talent and with their injuries its even worse now. Its a tough situation and the way he is playing a pitcher would have a better OBP than him.

On another note, This may be crazy and so is he but if I was the Sox I would consider signing Zambrano as a DH. He is crazy as a ****house rat and maybe thats what this team needs among their choirboys. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrouch View Post
He's striking out swinging instead of looking now.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Just because you buy $200 worth of groceries it doesn't mean you keep it in the fridge after it spoils.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
He has changed his approach. They have him swinging a little later. It needs to stop.
Yeah, Dunn's always going to strikeout, but it's not a problem if he's walking a ton and hitting homers. He's doing neither now.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Just because you buy $200 worth of groceries it doesn't mean you keep it in the fridge after it spoils.