White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
You're crossing the line of decency here.
Because I called Konerko a media-whore? Countless others have done so on this very site on numerous occasions in the past. Be that as it may, I'll refrain from repeating it because you've asked.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:03 PM
WSI High Priest

I thin the biggest story is Carlos Quentin was in a brawl, someone is going on the DL, and it isn't him.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I thin the biggest story is Carlos Quentin was in a brawl, someone is going on the DL, and it isn't him.
Well, that's because Greinke was hit while leading with his left shoulder. Under the circumstances, I don't know that he could have done anything different, as leading with his throwing shoulder could have been disastrous.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Corey Brock @FollowThePadres #Padres Carlos Quentin: "I do have a lot of remorse that someone did get hurt. But I will repeat that I felt I had to protect myself."

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Corey Brock @FollowThePadres #Padres Carlos Quentin: "I do have a lot of remorse that someone did get hurt. But I will repeat that I felt I had to protect myself."
From what? Greinke's mouth? Quentin has already said that he was more upset about what Greinke (allegedly) said to him than he was about being hit. The oral cavity may be crawling with various bacteria, but the danger to TCQ had passed by the time he was hit. No one would have gotten hurt had he walked to first base as directed.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default I hope Carlos is alright after getting hit by a pitch!

An objective perspective by Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by all*star quentin View Post
Yep. As I said in the post that got split from this one, when you escalate a volatile situation sometimes the other guy kicks your ass and you end up injured. That's why you don't escalate a volatile situation. Greinke should have walked away, kicked some dirt and at least acted contrite. Instead he asked for a fight and he got one. He lost and the Dodgers will pay the price for that stupidity.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
From what? Greinke's mouth? Quentin has already said that he was more upset about what Greinke (allegedly) said to him than he was about being hit. The oral cavity may be crawling with various bacteria, but the danger to TCQ had passed by the time he was hit. No one would have gotten hurt had he walked to first base as directed.
No, he is trying to protect himself in future ABs. It will be interesting to see if Greinke throws anywhere near him again. I doubt he really was throwing at him last night, but Quentin wasn't crowding the plate as much as usual.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yep. As I said in the post that got split from this one, when you escalate a volatile situation sometimes the other guy kicks your ass and you end up injured. That's why you don't escalate a volatile situation. Greinke should have walked away, kicked some dirt and at least acted contrite. Instead he asked for a fight and he got one. He lost and the Dodgers will pay the price for that stupidity.
Yep. That's how I saw it as well. And he was dumb enough to drop his shoulder at a man running at him that weighs 240lbs. Not very bright.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I like it!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No, he is trying to protect himself in future ABs. It will be interesting to see if Greinke throws anywhere near him again. I doubt he really was throwing at him last night, but Quentin wasn't crowding the plate as much as usual.
If he wants to remain an effective pitcher, he'd better do exactly that. I don't mean that he should throw at Quentin. If he does that after what's happened, he has no one to blame but himself if Quentin attacks him again.

Be that as it may, as soon as hitters realize that he won't pitch inside for fear of hitting them and getting tossed, he's finished as a Major League pitcher. He needs to continue to pitch as exactly as he has been. There's nothing wrong with his command, his pitch sequence, his velocity, or the movement on his pitches. He made a bad pitch to someone who has the mentality of Biff Tannen, and followed that up by provoking Biff because of something he said, when he should have kept his mouth shut.

Quentin asserts that he didn't know what Greinke said, but apparently the sight of his mouth moving was enough to send TCQ over the edge. Perhaps Greinke should wear a muzzle the next time he pitches against San Diego, provided that Quentin doesn't hurt himself trying to channel his pent up rage.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Victim blaming at it's finest.

Quote:
There's an article in this post that shows the science of pitch locations relative to percentage of hits. That pitch doesn't hit anyone. Whatever your perception of that pitch location or Quentin's location at the plate is, it's wrong.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Victim blaming at it's finest.
I don't think so. I don't think Greinke was throwing at TCQ, and although he shouldn't have said anything following the hit batsman, it's hard to understand Quentin's reasoning behind charging the mound when he wasn't even sure what Greinke said to him. Be that as it may, Greinke should not have tried leading with his shoulder to meet someone who outweighs him.

The most common mechanisms of clavicular fracture are as follows:

1. Fall onto shoulder or onto an outstretched hand.

2. Direct impact to the lateral portion of the clavicle, adjacent to the shoulder.

Looking at the video, it seems that Greinke actually experienced both mechanisms of trauma, as he suffered a horizontal impact to the left shoulder (by leading with it), and he was also hit near the lateral aspect of the clavicle. It's not hard at all to see why he suffered the injury. He needs to be smarter about these situations in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
There's an article in this post that shows the science of pitch locations relative to percentage of hits. That pitch doesn't hit anyone. Whatever your perception of that pitch location or Quentin's location at the plate is, it's wrong.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't think so. I don't think Greinke was throwing at TCQ, and although he shouldn't have said anything following the hit batsman, it's hard to understand Quentin's reasoning behind charging the mound when he wasn't even sure what Greinke said to him. Be that as it may, Greinke should not have tried leading with his shoulder to meet someone who outweighs him.

The most common mechanisms of clavicular fracture are as follows:

1. Fall onto shoulder or onto an outstretched hand.

2. Direct impact to the lateral portion of the clavicle, adjacent to the shoulder.

Looking at the video, it seems that Greinke actually experienced both mechanisms of trauma, as he suffered a horizontal impact to the left shoulder (by leading with it), and he was also hit near the lateral aspect of the clavicle. It's not hard at all to see why he suffered the injury. He needs to be smarter about these situations in the future.

The article seems to blame Greinke for getting hurt because he didn't run away or tip his cap or whatever. That's ludicrous. It's someone fault they're assaulted because they won't lay down for a violent bully who'll beat them up if you don't do what they say?

Maybe the lesson is Greinke should thrown 85 straight down the heart of the plate. That way Quentin won't get mad and attack him.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The article seems to blame Greinke for getting hurt because he didn't run away or tip his cap or whatever. That's ludicrous. It's someone fault they're assaulted because they won't lay down for a violent bully who'll beat them up if you don't do what they say?

Maybe the lesson is Greinke should thrown 85 straight down the heart of the plate. That way Quentin won't get mad and attack him.

Oh give me a break. What did Quentin do BEFORE Greinke smacked him with a baseball than verbally dared Quentin to do anything about it?

There's lots of these "unwritten rules" in baseball for a reason. You don't taunt the pitcher when you hit a home run and you don't walk toward the guy you just smacked with a baseball and start mouthing off.

You are so wrapped up in this Greinke is a victim thing you can't even consider he did something to provoke the situation.

By your standards no one can ever be held accountable for their actions until things turn violent. How far do we take that ludicrous crap? I could start listing a LOT of times in history the "it's just words" defense has been used but that would turn this political.

Here's the facts...

Greinke smacked TCQ with a baseball.

TCQ stepped out on the infield and took a few steps kind of toward first and kind of toward the mound. He was clearly irritated, but he didn't charge or say anything to Grinke, just glared at him.

Greinke then said (at least) "WHAT?!?!?!?" as he walked off the mound toward TCQ.

Then TCQ charged.

Now who in this situation actually sounds like the "bullly"?