White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Carlos was walking at him already. Kinda hard not to say something.
Now it is reported that Greinke stated he did not say anything.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Well done, Dodgers.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSox View Post
Now it is reported that Greinke stated he did not say anything.
I don't understand that. Greinke said previously that he wouldn't share what he said (meaning that he did say something), and Quentin was quoted as saying that Greinke said something to him that marked "the last straw" and triggered his decision to charge the mound.

It sounds to me like the media doesn't have its story straight.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Well done, Dodgers.
What does this mean? It's not the fault of the Dodgers organization that Greinke was injured. If you're implying that they made a mistake in offering Greinke his contract in the first place, that matter remains up for debate, given that he's made not even a handful of starts in a Dodgers uniform.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I was under the impression Kemp was upset that Padres players were making fun of Greinke for complaining about being hurt. In the moment, that's also instigation.

After the game...most certainly.
I know Jerry Hairston Jr was upset - which led to the second flareup between the teams

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
I know Jerry Hairston Jr was upset - which led to the second flareup between the teams
Correct. Kemp was shown yelling at various Padres during that time, but he later said that he was upset because Greinke told him that he already knew he was injured, that he'd broken something, not because they were making fun of Greinke's injury, which was apparently the reason for Hairston's outburst. Mattingly said that Padres backup catcher, John Baker, was "doing a lot of talking," but he wasn't sure about anyone mocking Greinke.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't understand that. Greinke said previously that he wouldn't share what he said (meaning that he did say something), and Quentin was quoted as saying that Greinke said something to him that marked "the last straw" and triggered his decision to charge the mound.

It sounds to me like the media doesn't have its story straight.
Sounds to me like the players are following an unwritten rule that says you don't tell the media what was said. I think something wad said, and only TCQ and Greinke know what it was, and maybe a few others close enough to hear. JMO.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post
Sounds to me like the players are following an unwritten rule that says you don't tell the media what was said. I think something wad said, and only TCQ and Greinke know what it was, and maybe a few others close enough to hear. JMO.
I agree
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

You guys are being a little rough on CQ. Grienke is a punk and has been asking for it for years. Grienke can throw up and in to Carlos as much as he wants and Carlos is basically defenseless. I am glad Carlos stood up for himself.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress View Post

"I've never heard of this rule. Please tell me more."
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots-Sox View Post
Kemp needs a lengthy ban for incitement - his behaviour was a disgrace
Why? He was upset that his teammate was attacked. I saw the game, and all he was saying was that was "F'n BS." No one here has mentioned that Kemp had an 0-2 1st inning pitch thrown right at his melon. Kemp didn't threaten or charge.

If you're saying that he should be suspended for, reportedly, having to be separated from Quentin by the cops after the game, then I might agree with you there.

If Kemp gets suspended for his on-field actions then every player on that field should get suspended for their involvement.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
You guys are being a little rough on CQ. Grienke is a punk and has been asking for it for years. Grienke can throw up and in to Carlos as much as he wants and Carlos is basically defenseless. I am glad Carlos stood up for himself.
But he wasn't throwing at him, at least not during last night's game. Greinke was nursing a one-run lead, and Quentin had worked the count full. Why would Greinke concede the potential tying run by throwing at Carlos and putting him on first base? It's bad baseball, and makes absolutely no sense, even knowing the history between these two men.

Furthermore, Quentin himself said that he wasn't as upset about being hit as he was about something Greinke (now allegedly) said to him, even going so far as to say that he may not have charged the mound had Greinke said nothing. I've posted his comments below, but you can read an entire article about the altercation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Quentin
When Quentin was hit, he took a few steps forward and glared at Greinke, who appeared to say something to him.

"That was the final straw," Quentin said.

So Quentin wouldn't have charged the mound if Greinke hadnít said anything?

"There's a chance I don't," he said.
Quentin later told reporters that he didn't even know what Greinke said to him. As others have suggested, he may be following one of sports' unwritten rules about not sharing sensitive information with the media, but if he's actually being honest and doesn't know what Greinke said (if he said anything), it makes absolutely no sense that he would charge the mound in response to Grenke's comments if he didn't know what they were. Carlos isn't helping his case by giving (seemingly) contradictory reasons for his behavior. The smart thing to do would be to shut the **** up, but Quentin doesn't appear to be that smart, Stanford education or otherwise.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

I agree that something was probably said and that we won't find out what it was. Greinke is indeed a bit of a punk and isn't going to say anything that might chill the Righteous Outrage on his behalf and the sportsblabbers dumping on TCQ as a thug. If Greinke had rotated and lowered his shoulder a bit less maybe he sustains no bone break, and the conversation is different. Not that I'm blaming him for not knowing how to set up for a take down, but you can't judge what happened solely by the severity of the injury.

And speaking of how baseball is played, Greinke will have plenty of time to ponder that every now and then it does get a bit physical, that some risks maybe should be thought about. A person with anxiety issues can have bad aspects to their personality just as a person with anger issues can have good ones. I've never liked Greinke and Carlos remains something of a mystery to me. But there's blame to go around here.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think Grinke threw at TCQ on purpose, but once he hit him, TCQ stared him down and Grinke obviously told him something along the lines of shut up and go to first base. Add that in with the past history between these two and that's it.

It's unfortinuate that Grinke broke his collar bone, but based on the way Grinke pitches, he was going to get charged someday.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

The umpire, while vague because he can't reveal specifics yet, said he threw Greinke out because his job is to "Make sure we get the instigators."

Sam Holbrook must have heard Greinke say something as well.