White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Blaming a victim because they didn't think to run is ridiculous. That's like blaming your parked car for getting rear-ended.
Cars don't drive themselves, munch. This isn't Knight Rider.
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I've seen the behind the plate video of this also. I don't know where and I'm trying to find it. I can see Greinke's mouth and it's after that mouth moves and says, "what?!?!?" that Quentin charges.
This is the video that I am looking at, Quentin says something to Greinke first in this video (the one with Vin Scully). Then Greinke responds and Quentin says something as he is running but before he puts his head down.
http://deadspin.com/bench-clearing-b...dres-472600148

Go Sox!!!
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Blaming a victim because they didn't think to run is ridiculous. That's like blaming your parked car for getting rear-ended.
That's pretty damn ridiculous. Most of the time, you can't avoid getting rear ended. Victim my ass. Greinke had plenty of time to avoid that confrontation. He didn't. He welcomed it. It just doesn't fit your argument, so you avoid that little fact.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
I don't buy for a second that Quentin didn't know what Grienke said. I just don't think he wanted to share it with the press.

Incidents like this happen so often in baseball and this is being blown way out of proportion. It doesn't matter if it would happen in the real world, the bottom line is that a baseball traveling 90+ miles is dangerous. If you suspect a guy threw one of those at you on purpose, you're going to be filled with raw anger and adrenaline. Based on their history and the fact that a Dodger was hit earlier in the game, it's not inconcievable that it could have been intentional, and odds are that was Quentin's first reaction.

Three seconds is not enough time to calm down and let cooler heads prevail, and in the meantime Grienke clearly taunted Quentin--while he was probably livid and pissed off and suspecting it was probably intentional.

Look, everyone knows Grienke is an *******. Every time the Sox would play KC, these gamethreads would be full of "**** you Grienke!" comments each time one of our players had to dive to the ground to avoid a fastball coming at his head--which was quite often. So let's not pretend that Grienke doesn't have a track record, or a history here. He hit Quentin twice before this.

Does that mean that what Quentin did was okay? No. He shouldn't have charged the mound. But Grienke is *hardly* the victim in this. You play with fire and you get burned. That's what he did. And if he hadn't been a dumbass and lowered his shoulder, he wouldn't have hurt himself, and this is a non-story.

The whole thing is so ****ing stupid. 95 mph fastballs up and in do not generally lead to rational outcomes, so it's pointless to come up with a rational explanation for any of it.
It's like you didn't even watch the video.

There was no 95 mph fastball up and in to instigate this. There was a fastball mid height barely six inches inside that Quentin leaned into.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
That's pretty damn ridiculous. Most of the time, you can't avoid getting rear ended. Victim my ass. Greinke had plenty of time to avoid that confrontation. He didn't. He welcomed it. It just doesn't fit your argument, so you avoid that little fact.
No, blaming someone for not avoiding an assault by running away fast enough is what's ridiculous.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He did welcome it, but there are only a handful of times that I can think of where a pitcher has ever actually ran away. I think Greinke was trying to get low enough to sort of tackle Quentin or at least flip him. That is stupid but I do get where a professional athlete really doesn't want to run away from a guy charging him.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Put yourself in his shoes. How would you have braced for that blow?

It's instinctive. It protects your head and spine.
By backpeddling and waving my hands frantically in front of me saying, "Wait wait wait, sorry, it was an accident, sorry, wait wait wait..." while looking completely freaked out.

I think my shoulder would be just fine.

Edit: Or better yet by turning and walking away and not opening my mouth to escalate the situation prior to the other guy actually charging.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
No, blaming someone for not avoiding an assault by running away fast enough is what's ridiculous.
Really? How's that? Answer this question: Could Greinke have avoided the confrontation by running away?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
By backpeddling and waving my hands frantically in front of me saying, "Wait wait wait, sorry, it was an accident, sorry, wait wait wait..." while looking completely freaked out.

I think my shoulder would be just fine.
I don't think that any professional athlete would EVER do that.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
There's an article in this thread where a professional athlete did just run away.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
If Greinke actually had run away Quentin would have had to chase him down from behind while all Zach's teammates converged. Then clearly TCQ would be the bad guy in this situation.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
No one is saying that Greinke should have run away. People are saying that he shouldn't have said anything in TCQ's direction. That's the difference between his situation and the hypothetical scenario you keep referring to. Assault victims don't scream, "Come over here and beat my ass." Greinke clearly said something to TCQ, and although I don't entirely accept TCQ's version of events, it's obvious that Greinke's mouth was moving. A word (or words) was spoken.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Well there ya go... Greinke deserves what he got then.

He could have turned and walked away the second Quentin got hit. He could have not glared at the guy he had just smacked with a baseball. He could have done ANY NUMBER of things other than what he did and he might be pitching on Tuesday. He chose to go the other way...
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
No one is saying that Greinke should have run away. People are saying that he shouldn't have said anything in TCQ's direction. That's the difference between his situation and the hypothetical scenario you keep referring to. Assault victims don't scream, "Come over here and beat my ass." Greinke clearly said something to TCQ, and although I don't entirely accept TCQ's version of events, it's obvious that Greinke's mouth was moving. A word (or words) was spoken.
No...I said he could've run away and avoided the whole confrontation.
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Really? How's that? Answer this question: Could Greinke have avoided the confrontation by running away?
Yes, he could have, as he was surrounded by his teammates. Quentin was on the field alone.

Quote:
See below.

Quote:
There's an article in this thread where a professional athlete did just run away.
Correct.