White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurt3515 View Post
If the bullpen doesn't implode we win, simple as that. It is nice to see a little offense though. Gives me hope for at least one of the next 2 games.
Or Peavy doesn't give up 6 runs, but whatever.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHurt3515 View Post
If the bullpen doesn't implode we win, simple as that. It is nice to see a little offense though. Gives me hope for at least one of the next 2 games.
Peavy's implosion was more to blame tonight than the bullpen's. This loss was similar to the first loss of the season when Floyd continued to give up runs after the Royals got the lead -- and similar to the second loss of the season when Jones continued giving up runs after the Mariners went ahead. The difference in tonight's could-have-won Whtie Sox loss, though, is that for the first time in 2013 tonight the Sox lost a game in which they had once led.

Anytime you lose a game 8-7, you can feel you should have won. Generally, the higher the score in a one-run loss, the more keys to the loss you can find. Viciedo striking out in the first was huge, but at least Gonzalez balked in a run. Not scoring a leadoff double, hurt. Leaving Peavy in to face the Nats order a third time felt like it would cost the game, but suggesting Peavy should have come out of the game before giving up two two-run homers would be second-guessing. Veal's pickoff attempt hurt. Everything the bullpen gave up hurt, which is where this discussion started. But the Nationals' bullpen gave up more runs. The difference was the hole Peavy dug when he couldn't do anything the third time through the order.

The Nationals are one of several National League teams that are probably at least as good as any team in the American League. But every time it looked like the Nats had put the Sox away, the Sox came back. In the end, it was just another tough loss.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Hopefully Beckham isn't out too long.
It couldn't have happened at a worse time too. The injury is not DL worthy so the Sox will play a man short for the next two NL games where you need your bench a lot more. whitesox.com is reporting that it is a slight nerve irritation for Gordon and he is day to day. Ventura said he will definitely be out of the lineup tomorrow. The beat writers are twittering that it will likely be Conor Gillaspie at 3B and Jeff Keppinger at 2B tomorrow.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Left Jake in about 3 batters too long. I know he's a competitor, but I pull him after the Werth HR.
I would have definitely pulled him after the Zimmerman AB. Robin has used the bullpen a lot lately and I have to think he was trying to coax another inning or two out of Jake since this is Game 1 of a 10 game trip. However, Jake was leaving a lot of pitches up and his velocity dipped to 89mph that inning. I think those first couple innings really gassed Peavy early. Also, I realize this is a bit of arm chair managing but I thought when the game was 6-2, that would have been a perfect time to turn to Hector Santiago to gobble up some innings and save the bullpen.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI High Priest

I was at this game. The White Sox offense was there too. White Sox pitching didn't show up, though, simple as that.

We were just barely denied a chance to see how that crowd would react to Dunn coming to the plate as the go-ahead run.

What happened to Beckham? I went to get some Dippin Dots and I came back to see Sanchez in the lineup.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
What happened to Beckham? I went to get some Dippin Dots and I came back to see Sanchez in the lineup.
Tinged a nerve in his left hand during his AB in the 2nd inning. As Foulke You said, looks like he's out at least tonight.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-0

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Tinged a nerve in his left hand during his AB in the 2nd inning. As Foulke You said, looks like he's out at least tonight.
IMHO we really don't lose much having Kepp and 2nd and Conor at third.
Conor made a nice throw on his belly yesterday. ( lay off those high fastballs please.)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

In three losses the Sox are averaging 5 runs/game.
In four victories the Sox are averaging 3.5 runs/game.

And if they continue to win four out of every seven games they should win in the neighborhood of 92 games. I'll take that.

Until they get the RISP thing figured out they're gonna lose close games. Especially on the road.

The Nats are a decent pick for the NL pennant, if everything goes the Sox way they should finish second in a bad division. Just don't get swept.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM
WSI Personality

The Sox are setting a tone with this club similar to what they did in 2000 where they are making comebacks late in games. This bodes well for the rest of the season. They didn't win last night or against Seattle when they were down big but its only a matter of time. We have been on the wrong side of late inning comebacks for the past few years including a lot of 9th inning meltdowns. (Most of which due to the horrible Thornton as closer experience) It would be nice to be breaking other teams hearts late in games for a change.

As many of said you can't give up 8 runs and expect to win. And if your starter gives up 6 then it doesn't usually go well. Find a way to win the series.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
IMHO we really don't lose much having Kepp and 2nd and Conor at third.
Except for the 2nd base defense.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
... Until they get the RISP thing figured out they're gonna lose close games. Especially on the road. ...
I don't think it's a matter of "figuring out" RISP hitting. it really isn't a coach can work with hitters to figure out. And sometimes the average is exaggerated. If you need to score a leadoff double, You can score him by going 0-for-2 with smart at bats or not score him going 0-for-3.

In some cases, the Sox have been hitting the ball well with runners in scoring position, which is what you're looking for. Last night, Ramirez lined out to Span in the first. De Aza had what looked like a couple of hits taken away with good defense during the homestand.

I haven't paid attention to other teams in this regard, but the Whtie Sox seem to be striking out too much with runners in scoring position, shich is something they could work on. Viciedo, especially, is striking out far more than he should. In Tuesday night's game, the Nats seemed to be pitcing around Konerko and didn't seem to find it necessary to throw Viciedo strikes to get him out, unconcerned if there were runners in scoring position. Complain about Wise, and I don't believe he is a Plan-A everyday player, but in his first plate appaerance this season, he got a hit with a runner in scoring position.

Last year the Sox led the league in hitting with runners in scoring position for much of the year. And they were very strong defensively. There are some players who can stand improvemeht and some situations of failure that are better remembered, but overall, I don't see those two aspects of their game completely turning around for this season.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I haven't paid attention to other teams in this regard, but the Whtie Sox seem to be striking out too much with runners in scoring position, shich is something they could work on.
That's an interesting thought. So I ran the numbers, as of 4/9:

Code:
TEAM   PA   K     %
MIN    74   19  25.7
CHW    49   12  24.5
TOR    45   11  24.4
NYY    76   18  23.7
HOU    65   15  23.1
LAA    78   18  23.1
CLE    96   21  21.9
BOS    79   17  21.5
DET    77   16  20.8
SEA    76   12  15.8
BAL    79   12  15.2
TBR    72    9  12.5
TEX    81   10  12.3
OAK    75    8  10.7
KCR    79    8  10.1
The League Average is 1 K per every 5.33K RISP PA, or an 18.7% RISP K rate.

I think it's also alarming that the Sox are already 20-30 plate appearances with RISP behind most of the league in only 8 games.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck

Last edited by doublem23; 04-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.